How to convert HED 3 from Shimano to Campagnolo?

alfa011

Feb 19, 2006
Hello. I recently bought a new HED 3 (not HED 3C) rear wheel with a Shimano splined hub.

I would like to use it in a Campagnolo equipped bike.

I have read that the HED 3 rear wheel hubs are made by DT Swiss and also have found a web place where conversion kits made by DT to change the hubs from Shimano to Campy are available.

My question is: What type or model of DT Swiss hub is`used in the HED 3 rear wheel?

Below is a web store that sell DT Swiss conversion kits as a reference.

http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/pro...nversion-kits/

Hope someone that is experienced in this conversion could help.

Best,

Velociclo.

alfa011 said:
Hello. I recently bought a new HED 3 (not HED 3C) rear wheel with a Shimano splined hub.

I would like to use it in a Campagnolo equipped bike.

I have read that the HED 3 rear wheel hubs are made by DT Swiss and also have found a web place where conversion kits made by DT to change the hubs from Shimano to Campy are available.

My question is: What type or model of DT Swiss hub is`used in the HED 3 rear wheel?

Below is a web store that sell DT Swiss conversion kits as a reference.

http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/pro...nversion-kits/

Hope someone that is experienced in this conversion could help.

Best,

Velociclo.

I don't know if DT makes Hed hubs or not. What I would do is email Hed and ask. It's going to be easiest, anyway, getting the correct freehub from them. At least with them, you'll be positive what you have is correct.

And you are absolutely correct. I have done that also. Just wanted to cover all my bases in case they do not respond.
Thank you. Velociclo

alienator said:
I don't know if DT makes Hed hubs or not. What I would do is email Hed and ask. It's going to be easiest, anyway, getting the correct freehub from them. At least with them, you'll be positive what you have is correct.

Hed might be very slow on answering emails. I recommend to call them - are always very helpful.
If there are any problems changing modifying boss, you can use Mavic cassette, made for Campangnolo shifter and Shimano wheel. Works fine, shifts almost as original campy cassette.

Oh.. I see you mean the MAVIC M10 cassette.
I read that they work only in Mavic freehubs.

Do you know if they work on all Shimano splined freehubs?

Regards, Velociclo

ajo said:
Hed might be very slow on answering emails. I recommend to call them - are always very helpful.
If there are any problems changing modifying boss, you can use Mavic cassette, made for Campangnolo shifter and Shimano wheel. Works fine, shifts almost as original campy cassette.

alfa011 said:
Oh.. I see you mean the MAVIC M10 cassette.
I read that they work only in Mavic freehubs.

Do you know if they work on all Shimano splined freehubs?

Regards, Velociclo

Mavic cassettes only work on Mavic M-type hubs.

FWIW you won't find a conversion cassette that allows you to run Campy where once was Shimano.

I am very thankful for letting me know that detail about the M10 Mavic cassettes, I almost considered buying one at eBay. Pheeeeew!

Thanks a lot!

Take care..
Velociclo.

alienator said:
Mavic cassettes only work on Mavic M-type hubs.

FWIW you won't find a conversion cassette that allows you to run Campy where once was Shimano.

Mavic cassettes works on shimano hubs. (Have read that some Shimano-brand 10sp wheels have too narrow hub - only space for 9 cogs.)

I'm using my Mavic cassette on Hed Alps shimano-hub wheel with 10sp campa shifters.

Wheels Manufacturing makes cassettes that will fit Shimano hubs for use on Campy bikes. They are available in a variety of gear ratios including 9 and 10 speeds. You can buy them from EvansvilleCyclist on eBay.