How to Cook Large Scallops?

Are the costco scallops wet or dry?

--
Bob (this one) wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> I was considering adding that to the post where I recommended
>>> poaching, because I figured smoking OUGHT to work, but since I've
>>> never had smoked scallops I didn't want to go out on a limb and
>>> recommend smoking. Given your recommendation maybe I'll give it a
>>> try -- assuming I ever see scallops as large as the OP described!
>>> IIRC the OP said that they were 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1 1/2
>>> inches high, which is larger than I generally see around here.
>>>

>> Do you think they were the real thing, or some of those fake scallops
>> discussed in another thread?

> <LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
> having seen one.
>
> The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that size.
> I often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center is still
> translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.
>
> Pastorio

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are the costco scallops wet or dry?
>
> --
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> Do you think they were the real thing, or some of those fake scallops
>>> discussed in another thread?

>> <LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
>> having seen one.
>>
>> The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that size.
>> I often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center is still
>> translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.
>>
>> Pastorio

Sharkman, I still can't understand 'wet' or 'dry.' If you know, Pastorio,
please post your best understanding and whether or not you knows about
Costco's. I buy Costco's -- the taste is not metallic to me like other
markets' scallops.
Thank you, Pastorio.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Are the costco scallops wet or dry?
>>
>>--
>>Bob (this one) wrote:

>>><LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
>>>having seen one.
>>>
>>>The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that size.
>>>I often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center is still
>>>translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

> Sharkman, I still can't understand 'wet' or 'dry.' If you know, Pastorio,
> please post your best understanding and whether or not you knows about
> Costco's. I buy Costco's -- the taste is not metallic to me like other
> markets' scallops.
> Thank you, Pastorio.

Dry.

It means that they haven't been washed with a sodium tripolyphosphate
solution. Scallops are sometimes immersed in the solution to "plump"
them (scallops absorb some of the liquid) and to extend the normally
short shelf life.

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Peter, I'm not going to get into it with you. I've been buying scallops
> >>for my restaurants since the 70's from professional vendors who taught
> >>me their vocabulary and showed me what to look for when their
> >>competitors tried to mess with me. I've been on boats when they were
> >>dredged and I've cut them out of shells; both sea and bay scallops. In
> >>my restaurants, I served whole scallops in the shells (complete with
> >>roe) that I had flown to me from the Fulton Fish Market when it was in
> >>lower Manhattan. I don't need to consult online authorities now, I've
> >>been dealing with seafood experts for 30 years.
> >>Pastorio

> > I've only found them in the shell with roe at the store once... :)
> > OH my gods, they were worth every penny! I'd get them again in a
> > heartbeat!
> >
> > The last two times I've bought scallops, we had to take them back to the
> > store. They had a chemical smell and were bitter as hell. Totally nasty!
> >
> > And we cooked them as soon as we got them home.
> >
> > What could have caused this? It's made me afraid to purchase them again
> > so it's been a few years since I've been able to enjoy scallops.
> >
> > The nasty ones came from the local grocery store.
> >
> > Any idea Bob?

> They aren't usually available in the shell in stores. They don't keep
> water in their shells like clams, mussels and oysters and, therefore,
> die more quickly.

Central Market, Austin, at the fresh fish counter.
They really were very good but it's not a common offering.

Baby octopus however........ ;-d

> This sounds like they were washed and left in the solution too long.
> And, perhaps were old. But you did right to return them. The best ones
> I've had in a long time were from Costco.

I was thinking they were soaked too long in a preservative.
Scallops are FAR too expensive to not return them. :-(

I may get brave enough to try some from CM again.
Their fresh fish is pretty reliable.

Or I might just buy a skate and take a cookie cutter to it.

<lol>

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >>NEVER! No fungi with seafood, not ever! Even the sleaziest Chinky
> >>take-out doesn't mix 'shrooms with seafood... the flavor of either
> >>cancels out the othere, they definitely do not complement each other

> > I don't agree...
> > Sautee'd shrimp and sliced oyster mushrooms are the gods in butter,
> > olive oil and just a little garlic. Add some quick fried paper thin
> > strips of rare beef (preferably one of the better cuts) to that and off
> > you go.

> Strip steaks with a pouch cut into them, stuffed with sauteed shrimp and
> mushrooms in demi-glace. We sold a zillion of them in my operations.

Or shredded crab stuffed chicken breast...

> >>And naturally no rennin containing products either, NO CHEESE with
> >>SEAFOOD...

> > That I agree with.
> > Cheese overwhelms the delicate, sweet flavor of most seafoods.

> <http://www.recipezaar.com/r/216/220> For example...
>
> Pastorio

I think this is a matter of personal taste. :)
I really do not care for cheese with shrimp, unless it's maybe a very
light creamy cheese sauce with a pasta offering (Shiratake).

OTOH, a little shredded jack cheese with a crab meat omelet is good.
I just go light on it.

Crab is stronger in flavor than shrimp.

I, personally, would not serve cheese with scallops.

But that's just me. ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> I was considering adding that to the post where I recommended poaching,
> >> because I figured smoking OUGHT to work, but since I've never had smoked
> >> scallops I didn't want to go out on a limb and recommend smoking. Given
> >> your recommendation maybe I'll give it a try -- assuming I ever see
> >> scallops
> >> as large as the OP described! IIRC the OP said that they were 2 1/2 inches
> >> in diameter and 1 1/2 inches high, which is larger than I generally see
> >> around here.
> >>

> > Do you think they were the real thing, or some of those fake scallops
> > discussed in another thread?

> <LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
> having seen one.

This will go on for years ya know. ;-)
I just referred to it a couple of posts ago.

> The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that size. I
> often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center is still
> translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.

I use a smoking hot cast iron skillet with butter, olive oil and a
little garlic powder.

Same way I do shrimp if I'm not using it in soup or stir fry. ;-d

I've never shopped at a Costco.
Is it a club store? I hate those!

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Are the costco scallops wet or dry?
> >>
> >>--

> > Sharkman, I still can't understand 'wet' or 'dry.' If you know, Pastorio,
> > please post your best understanding and whether or not you knows about
> > Costco's. I buy Costco's -- the taste is not metallic to me like other
> > markets' scallops.
> > Thank you, Pastorio.

> Dry.
>
> It means that they haven't been washed with a sodium tripolyphosphate
> solution. Scallops are sometimes immersed in the solution to "plump"
> them (scallops absorb some of the liquid) and to extend the normally
> short shelf life.
>
> Pastorio

That's what probably made the ones we had to return taste so bad. :-(

How do you tell the difference on initial purchase so I can avoid those?
--

sf wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2005 18:54:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Or you could do as the OP is *already* doing and cut the scallops into
> > smaller pieces, in which case this entire discussion has been a waste of
> > time. :)

> - and a complete waste of money on the OPs part, since larger scallops
> most likely cost more than the smaller ones.

Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say to
mince/puree them.

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2005 18:54:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Or you could do as the OP is *already* doing and cut the scallops into
> > smaller pieces, in which case this entire discussion has been a waste of
> > time. :)

> - and a complete waste of money on the OPs part, since larger scallops
> most likely cost more than the smaller ones.

Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say to
mince/puree them.

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 1 Dec 2005 18:54:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> >
> > > Or you could do as the OP is *already* doing and cut the scallops into
> > > smaller pieces, in which case this entire discussion has been a waste of
> > > time. :)

> > - and a complete waste of money on the OPs part, since larger scallops
> > most likely cost more than the smaller ones.

> Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say to
> mince/puree them.
>
> Sheldon

Wellll...

I personally have noticed a HUGE difference in flavor between smaller
and larger shrimp.

I won't even buy the teensy little salad shrimp.

No flavor at all to speak of. :p

I prefer at least a medium sized cocktail shrimp at the smallest.

Never noted a flavor difference tho' in scallops between the small and
large ones tho'.
--

Bob (this one) wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >>NEVER! No fungi with seafood, not ever! Even the sleaziest Chinky
> >>take-out doesn't mix 'shrooms with seafood... the flavor of either
> >>cancels out the othere, they definitely do not complement each other

> > I don't agree...
> > Sautee'd shrimp and sliced oyster mushrooms are the gods in butter,
> > olive oil and just a little garlic. Add some quick fried paper thin
> > strips of rare beef (preferably one of the better cuts) to that and

> off
> > you go.

> Strip steaks with a pouch cut into them, stuffed with sauteed shrimp
> and
> mushrooms in demi-glace. We sold a zillion of them in my operations.
>
> >>And naturally no rennin containing products either, NO CHEESE with
> >>SEAFOOD...

> > That I agree with.
> > Cheese overwhelms the delicate, sweet flavor of most seafoods.

> <http://www.recipezaar.com/r/216/220> For example...
>
> Pastorio

I do not know where or why people gets this idea, there are all sorts of
recipes for fish & other sea food both fresh water and ocean, with
both mushrooms and cheese, either one or the other or both, Homard
cardinale comes to mind, matelote a la normande, anguille a la
beauciare, carpe a la canotiere, filets de carpe a la royale, cotelettes
de saumon, sole meuniere aux champignons, filets de sole olga (or
'otero') many fish dishes cooked with mushrooms are served with morney
sauce which includes both gruyere and parmesan. And this is all just
from the French, Italian and English have fish, mushroom and cheese
dishes that are very common, kedgeree anyone?

Never made a tuna casserole with cheddar cheese and pan pried mushrooms?
I can understand though not sympathize with a personal preference but it
would take the end of western civilization as we know it to force me to
give up mushroom, cheese and fish combos. I often flavour a bread
stuffing for green peppers with anchovy and parmesan and which includes
sautéed mushrooms, its an Italian version of stuffed peppers i forget
the regional designation of. White or red clam sauce with parmesan?
---
JL

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Or I might just buy a skate and take a cookie cutter to it.
>
> <lol>

<LOL> And in keeping with the season, you could use that gingerbread man
cookie cutter. Or maybe the Rudolph one with the big nose...

Pastorio

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I've never shopped at a Costco.
> Is it a club store? I hate those!

Yep. It is.

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Or I might just buy a skate and take a cookie cutter to it.
> >
> > <lol>

> <LOL> And in keeping with the season, you could use that gingerbread man
> cookie cutter. Or maybe the Rudolph one with the big nose...
>
> Pastorio

Jesus fish. ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I've never shopped at a Costco.
> > Is it a club store? I hate those!

> Yep. It is.
>
> Pastorio

What is the membership requirement, just out of curiosity?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:49:55 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>sf wrote:

>>> I was considering adding that to the post where I recommended poaching,
>>> because I figured smoking OUGHT to work, but since I've never had smoked
>>> scallops I didn't want to go out on a limb and recommend smoking. Given
>>> your recommendation maybe I'll give it a try -- assuming I ever see scallops
>>> as large as the OP described! IIRC the OP said that they were 2 1/2 inches
>>> in diameter and 1 1/2 inches high, which is larger than I generally see
>>> around here.
>>>

>> Do you think they were the real thing, or some of those fake scallops
>> discussed in another thread?

><LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
>having seen one.
>
>The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that size. I
>often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center is still
>translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.

Bob... "it won't die" means that *some* scallops are a fake claim?
Really? I didn't know! I'm actually stupid enough to believe that if
it occurs "somewhere else" enough times, it could be true.

I've seen this fake scallop topic for so long... *obviously*, I am now
inclined to believe it when others claim it's true - although it's
never the case to my knowledge. I've never come across a giant
scallop like Terwilliger claims he has eaten either. The biggest
scallop I can claim to have eaten is less 1+ (definitely less than 2)
inches across.

sf
<who doesn't know what to believe about scallops now>

On 2 Dec 2005 09:01:44 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On 1 Dec 2005 18:54:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> > Or you could do as the OP is *already* doing and cut the scallops into
>> > smaller pieces, in which case this entire discussion has been a waste of
>> > time. :)

>> - and a complete waste of money on the OPs part, since larger scallops
>> most likely cost more than the smaller ones.

>Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say to
>mince/puree them.

I don't remember any recipe calling for minced jumbo prawns... but if
there was one - YES, I agree.

:)

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:45:48 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I personally have noticed a HUGE difference in flavor between smaller
>and larger shrimp.
>
>I won't even buy the teensy little salad shrimp.
>
>No flavor at all to speak of. :p

In the olden daze... *really small* (salad) shrimp used to be called
*Bay* shrimp because they were caught in the brackish waters of a bay.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> What is the membership requirement, just out of curiosity?
> --

$45. -aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>>>I've never shopped at a Costco.
>>>Is it a club store? I hate those!

>>Yep. It is.
>>
>>Pastorio

> What is the membership requirement, just out of curiosity?

$45 and a heart pure as the driven snow.

They waived that last for me.

Or $55 for an "Executive" membership that entitles you to a 2% rebate.
Given that I spend upwards of $125 a week there, it looks like a
reasonable thing to do. So I changed my membership to the Executive
category.

I shop there weekly. They tend towards large packages of foods (and
everything), so I buy most, but not all, our food there. But I also
bought two computers and two iPODs this year. Cheaper than any
electronics store around.

Pastorio