How to Cook Large Scallops?

sf wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2005 09:01:44 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> scallops into

> waste of
> >>
> >> - and a complete waste of money on the OPs part, since larger

> scallops
> >> most likely cost more than the smaller ones.

> >Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say

> >mince/puree them.
> >

> I don't remember any recipe calling for minced jumbo prawns... but if
> there was one - YES, I agree.

While variations using whole shrimp could be made there is an Austrian
recipe ("gefullte hubner mit krabben") that calls for chopped and pureed
large shrimp to flavour a bread stuffing with, this is then used to
stuff a whole chicken. Chicken and shrimp is a very good combo.

I do not see why a minced shrimp would be any more 'idiotic' than any
other chopped meat. A lobster mousse is made with pureed lobster
flesh. Minced shrimp of any size may also be used in a mayonnaise or
soufflé. Anchovies are often mashed before adding to a dish.
---
JL

sf wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> Do you think they were the real thing, or some of those fake
>>> scallops discussed in another thread?

>> <LOL> It just won't die... despite no one actually, verifiably ever
>> having seen one.
>>
>> The scallops I buy at Costco are very large - some will be that
>> size. I often do them fast and hot on a cast iron griddle. Center
>> is still translucent and they're very tender. Lotsa butter.
>>

> Bob... "it won't die" means that *some* scallops are a fake claim?
> Really? I didn't know! I'm actually stupid enough to believe that
> if it occurs "somewhere else" enough times, it could be true.

That's called "rumor." And to believe them in the absence of any
first-hand corroboration or reliable, detailed information *is* stupid.
The whole reason Snopes exists is just for such "somewhere else" ********.

> I've seen this fake scallop topic for so long... *obviously*, I am
> now inclined to believe it when others claim it's true - although
> it's never the case to my knowledge.

That's called "faith." Misplaced, as far as I'm concerned. The more
times I hear about all these reports of "somewhere else"
but-never-to-anyone-I-know-personally, the more skeptical I become. That
"everybody knows" stuff typically turns out to be as gossamer as this
whole thing about scallops. Not one authoritative source that I've seen
claims to ever have actually seen it. No professional seafood sites say
so, and, in fact, one that I cited found it amusing that this persists
in the absence of evidence.

I've given the biological, the structural, and gustatory information why
I don't find it creditable. My conclusion is that, without substantive
proof, I see it as just another urban legend. You've given your opinion
that if a lot of people say it, it must be true.

> I've never come across a giant scallop like Terwilliger claims he
> has eaten either. The biggest scallop I can claim to have eaten is
> less 1+ (definitely less than 2) inches across.

And I bet that means that since you've never had that experience, you
don't believe it, right? But you do believe that scallops were cut from
skate wings and sharks, right?

Just FYI, I used to serve U-12 (Under 12 to the pound) scallops in my
restaurants. Specially selected for me by my vendors. They were anywhere
from 1 3/4 to 2 3/4 inches across. Expensive as hell. You can get ones
not quite that big - but way bigger than 1" - at any Costco.

Pastorio

thanks...
Bob (this one) wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Are the costco scallops wet or dry?
>>>
>>>--

>> Sharkman, I still can't understand 'wet' or 'dry.' If you know,
>> Pastorio, please post your best understanding and whether or not you
>> knows about Costco's. I buy Costco's -- the taste is not metallic
>> to me like other markets' scallops.
>> Thank you, Pastorio.

> Dry.
>
> It means that they haven't been washed with a sodium tripolyphosphate
> solution. Scallops are sometimes immersed in the solution to "plump"
> them (scallops absorb some of the liquid) and to extend the normally
> short shelf life.
>
> Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > What is the membership requirement, just out of curiosity?
> > --

> $45. -aem

Is the savings significant enough to justify that?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> >>Yep. It is.
> >>
> >>Pastorio

> > What is the membership requirement, just out of curiosity?

> $45 and a heart pure as the driven snow.
>
> They waived that last for me.
>
> Or $55 for an "Executive" membership that entitles you to a 2% rebate.
> Given that I spend upwards of $125 a week there, it looks like a
> reasonable thing to do. So I changed my membership to the Executive
> category.
>
> I shop there weekly. They tend towards large packages of foods (and
> everything), so I buy most, but not all, our food there. But I also
> bought two computers and two iPODs this year. Cheaper than any
> electronics store around.
>
> Pastorio

Hmmmm...
I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)

Thing is, there is just the two of us.
Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've given the biological, the structural, and gustatory information why
> I don't find it creditable. My conclusion is that, without substantive
> proof, I see it as just another urban legend. You've given your opinion
> that if a lot of people say it, it must be true.

Well...
I did not mention this before, but, one shrimp and bait shop (privately
owned) down at Port Aransas Texas claimed that they actually did it.

But not with Skate. Stingray.

I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.

So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

Made me want to try stingray even more.
I'm thinking about going snorkeling for them in the bay when the tide is
high enough to dive.
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've given the biological, the structural, and gustatory information why
>>I don't find it creditable. My conclusion is that, without substantive
>>proof, I see it as just another urban legend. You've given your opinion
>>that if a lot of people say it, it must be true.

> Well...
> I did not mention this before, but, one shrimp and bait shop (privately
> owned) down at Port Aransas Texas claimed that they actually did it.

Like the sign on my mother's bedroom closet said, "I love you, but cut
the cards anyway."

What's the name of the place? When did this conversation take place? Did
they know it was illegal?

> But not with Skate. Stingray.

Pretty much the same critter, culinarily.

> I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
> The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
> scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.

To whom, I wonder. Certainly not seafood lovers who already liked
scallops. And I wonder if they cut them larger than 1 inch...

> So they refused to sell me any. ;-)
>
> Made me want to try stingray even more.
> I'm thinking about going snorkeling for them in the bay when the tide is
> high enough to dive.

Dynamite. Works fast and is thorough. Also good for redecorating the sea
bottom.

Pastorio

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Hmmmm...
> I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)

You can go to www.costco.com to get a good idea of the range of stuff
they offer. It's large.

> Thing is, there is just the two of us.
> Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.
> --
> Om.

It's not limited to oversized packaging. You can buy 4 USDA Choice
grade steaks. Two chickens. One bottle of booze or wine. One 60"
plasma tv. :) -aem

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I've given the biological, the structural, and gustatory information why
> >>I don't find it creditable. My conclusion is that, without substantive
> >>proof, I see it as just another urban legend. You've given your opinion
> >>that if a lot of people say it, it must be true.

> > Well...
> > I did not mention this before, but, one shrimp and bait shop (privately
> > owned) down at Port Aransas Texas claimed that they actually did it.

> Like the sign on my mother's bedroom closet said, "I love you, but cut
> the cards anyway."
>
> What's the name of the place? When did this conversation take place? Did
> they know it was illegal?

It was not illegal as the sold them as "Faux".
Truth in labeling. ;-)

Don't recall the name, we were buying fresh (live) shrimps.
It was just this side of the bridge on the right side of the road...

This was about 8 years ago.

> > But not with Skate. Stingray.

> Pretty much the same critter, culinarily.

Pretty much.

> > I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
> > The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
> > scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.

> To whom, I wonder. Certainly not seafood lovers who already liked
> scallops. And I wonder if they cut them larger than 1 inch...

I don't know.
I'm not making this up. I swear!

The thread was way too much fun. ;-)
I did not want to spoil it.

> > So they refused to sell me any. ;-)
> >
> > Made me want to try stingray even more.
> > I'm thinking about going snorkeling for them in the bay when the tide is
> > high enough to dive.

> Dynamite. Works fast and is thorough. Also good for redecorating the sea
> bottom.

<snork>
So where can I buy some? ;-)
I bought some flounder gigs.

--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
> The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
> scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.
>
> So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy
hoop snake. They had a freezer full of them,
but they said they could get more money
selling them as faux eel.

Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
> > The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
> > scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.
> >
> > So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

> Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy
> hoop snake. They had a freezer full of them,
> but they said they could get more money
> selling them as faux eel.
>
> So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

Okay, I'll bite.

What is a hoop snake?

Or do I really want to know???
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd wanted to try Stingray so I asked them if I could buy some.
> > > The told me, outright, that they cut them up and sold them as "faux
> > > scallops" as they could get more money for them that way.
> > >
> > > So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

> > Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy
> > hoop snake. They had a freezer full of them,
> > but they said they could get more money
> > selling them as faux eel.
> >
> > So they refused to sell me any. ;-)

> Okay, I'll bite.
>
> What is a hoop snake?
>
> Or do I really want to know???

http://www.americanfolklore.net/folktales/pa.html

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)
>
> Thing is, there is just the two of us.
> Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.

Yes, you can get a one-day pass.

And if you have a friend who is a Costco member, get them to buy you a
Costco Cash Card and you can just spend the money you want there without
getting your own membership. That way you won't feel like you have to
get your money's worth.

On 3 Dec 2005 10:16:02 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>> Hmmmm...
>> I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)

>You can go to www.costco.com to get a good idea of the range of stuff
>they offer. It's large.

Not sure they still do this, but they used to issue one-day visitor
passes; you could only buy with cash (now, likely debit cards too) but
it was a great way to check out the merch.

>> Thing is, there is just the two of us.
>> Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.

>It's not limited to oversized packaging. You can buy 4 USDA Choice
>grade steaks. Two chickens. One bottle of booze or wine. One 60"
>plasma tv. :) -aem

One car. etc.
(my friend over on afb who has a bbq joint buys his ribs from Costco)

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:41:21 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> scallops into

>> waste of

>> scallops
>> >
>> >Yup, like those idiotic recipes that list jumbo shrimp and then say

>> >mince/puree them.
>> >

>> I don't remember any recipe calling for minced jumbo prawns... but if
>> there was one - YES, I agree.

>While variations using whole shrimp could be made there is an Austrian
>recipe ("gefullte hubner mit krabben") that calls for chopped and pureed
>large shrimp to flavour a bread stuffing with, this is then used to
>stuff a whole chicken. Chicken and shrimp is a very good combo.
>
>I do not see why a minced shrimp would be any more 'idiotic' than any
>other chopped meat. A lobster mousse is made with pureed lobster
>flesh. Minced shrimp of any size may also be used in a mayonnaise or
>soufflé. Anchovies are often mashed before adding to a dish.
>---
>JL

Joseph, the idiodic part is paying throught the nose for large or
jumbo and then cutting them into tiny pieces.

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:41:21 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:

> >> scallops into

> >> waste of

> >> scallops

> say
> >> >
> >> I don't remember any recipe calling for minced jumbo prawns... but

> if
> >> there was one - YES, I agree.

> >While variations using whole shrimp could be made there is an

> Austrian
> >recipe ("gefullte hubner mit krabben") that calls for chopped and

> pureed
> >large shrimp to flavour a bread stuffing with, this is then used to
> >stuff a whole chicken. Chicken and shrimp is a very good combo.
> >
> >I do not see why a minced shrimp would be any more 'idiotic' than any

> >other chopped meat. A lobster mousse is made with pureed lobster
> >flesh. Minced shrimp of any size may also be used in a mayonnaise or

> >soufflé. Anchovies are often mashed before adding to a dish.
> >---
> >JL
> >

> Joseph, the idiodic part is paying throught the nose for large or
> jumbo and then cutting them into tiny pieces.

I do not get it unless you are writing about a concern about the amount
of money you spend on your own 'food'. That bit of living life that you
consume avidly and with out compunction. I mean really, the melody
shines, and it cleans my mind, and there's no body singing to meat now.

Child of bacon, child of honey, pepper and lemon.

Aveuncularaitte yourself in all gloriousness.
---
JL

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)
>>
>> Thing is, there is just the two of us.
>> Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.

> Yes, you can get a one-day pass.
>
> And if you have a friend who is a Costco member, get them to buy you a
> Costco Cash Card and you can just spend the money you want there without
> getting your own membership. That way you won't feel like you have to get
> your money's worth.

Even a better incentive for your friend: If your friend has the 2% (Costco)
and 2%-back-credit -card (Am Ex), Costco and Am Ex give each 2% back on many
things, not all. We (two of us) have this on both the BJ's and Costco, and
the difference pays for the $100 membership + we make a little money.
Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>,
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > Hmmmm...
> > I wonder if they'd let me browse first? ;-)

> You can go to www.costco.com to get a good idea of the range of stuff
> they offer. It's large.
> >
> > Thing is, there is just the two of us.
> > Bulk buying is not my forte' anymore.
> > --
> > Om.

> It's not limited to oversized packaging. You can buy 4 USDA Choice
> grade steaks. Two chickens. One bottle of booze or wine. One 60"
> plasma tv. :) -aem

<lol> Sounds like fun!

I'm going to put off the plasma TV for a few years yet.
The one I have works fine and is large, and only about 5 years old.
Plus we don't watch a lot of tV. Most of my entertainment is radio and
the internet.

And I have a flat screen monitor!

I'll have to find the one in Austin, (I know I can google the location)
and check it out.

Cheers!