How to cycle for weight loss

On 7 Jun 2004 11:47:32 -0500, Frederic Briere <[email protected]> wrote:

>Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ZOO- roller bladers, kids, families, etc. But what drives me nuts about
>> those stupid bladers is that they often go so SLOW, and take up the whole
>> lane. It was stop, start, stop, start, and I got off the path as soon as I

>Beginner bladers[*] are the worst, as they really *need* the whole path,
>weaving unpredictably left and right. And you don't dare call out to
>them, lest they get startled and fall right in front of your wheel.
>
>> could. At one point, I called out to a woman roller blader, but she didn't
>> hear me because of her stupid walkman. So when I passed her I snapped my
>> fingers in her face a couple of times, like HELLO! HELLO!

>That's what empty water bottles are for. (What, does anybody drag these
>things back home?)

I'm riding mostly on the roads now (yay!), but still ride one section of
the bike trail. I met a group of teachers taking their first graders for a
walk - they had 'swarmed' the trail. I called out:

'move to your right, move to your right, please'.

Most did OK, but one teacher says:

"They don't know what that means!"

I replied, 'Well, maybe you should teach them right from left before you
leave the building'.

Sheesh. ;-p

-Badger

>[*] As Dave Barry would say: this would be a great name for a band.
>--
> Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

Gooserider wrote:
:: "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::::
::: I do core strength work. I believe that's important. Weight
::: training, per se, can actually result in gaining weight. If the
::: goal is strictly weight loss, I'd opt for some core strength
::: exercises that don't involve much in the way of weights. You can
::: do a lot with crunches, pushups, chair dips, etc.
::
:: True. But someone who is 150 pounds at 10 percent bodyfat is in far
:: better shape than someone who weighs 150 pounds at 20 percent
:: bodyfat. Weight alone is not the issue(except for racers). We're not
:: talking about becoming Mr Olympia. Just general fitness, and nothing
:: works better at building strength than basic compound strength
:: training exercises. Bench press, military press, squat, deadlift.
:: Difficult to duplicate with just bodyweight, especially once one
:: attains a basic strength level. :)

Lifting as Gooserider suggest also has the benefit of boosting the
metabolism for several hours after the training session. Hence, while one
doesn't burn a lot of calories lifting, one does burn more calories in the
period after lifting. Hence, lifting can promote weight loss while
minimizing muscle loss. IMO, lifting should be included in any weight loss
program.

Also, what Bob C said was a good point too. High-intensity interval
training (HIIT) has been shown to have the "afterburn" effect of weight
lifting, and one can end up burning up to 9 times more fat than with just
"flat" aerobic type cardio. Hence, jacking up the intensity in intervals
while biking pays bige dividends. Still, if one doesn't control diet weight
loss will not occur. Check out: http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

My personal opinion on achieving weight loss works like this (in order of
importance):

1) diet (LC works great for me)
2) weight lifting with basic compound movements (BP, MP, squat, DL)
3) some other activity like cycling with HIIT thrown in.

So far, this has gotten 130 lbs off since i started back in October 2001.

Badger_South wrote:

> >> Ah, thus the highly successful "whole grain bread" diet.

> >It's worked in the western and middle eastern world for a few
> >thousand years.

> And look at what it wrought. Or is that 'hath wrought'? ;-p

Yeah, but we were doing so well until recently. Sadly, most of the
bakers have processed away the fiber and low glycemic index
ingredients. It's the same for lots of processed food.

> BTW, enjoyed the heck outta your homepage, particularly:
>
> Trip Report: Black Mountain Loop, Mountain View, California
>
> Thanks for putting that up, it's an inspiration to us piedmonters and low
> landers!

That's a nice ride, within the reach of most people if they take it
at their own pace. I usually ride there every Monday, but not today.
I'm recovering from yesterday's 200k, so I just cruised up Old La
Honda instead.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> So far, this has gotten 130 lbs off since i started back in October
> 2001.

Not bad Roger. Not bad at all. You have most certainly invested in several
extra years on this planet. Years that you can enjoy even more now that
you've found biking.

--
Perre

I've found this is working well for me.

1. Body for Life weight training 3 days a week.

2. Cycling on the alternate days. Between 15 and 50km depending on the
day. I do a mix of hills, speed, and distance on different days.

3. South Beach Diet (Phase 2).

--

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> You write that as if it were true and universal. Here's what the
> American Heart Association has to say about "carb addiction":
>
> "Some people advocate severely reducing carbohydrate intake to
> reduce the insulin response and cravings. Others suggest that
> choosing carbohydrate-containing foods with a lower glycemic
> (gli-SE'mik) index also can lower insulin response and appetite.
> There isn't enough research in this area for us to know what's
> right. Also, individual responses may vary considerably."
>
> And what they say about what constitutes a healthy diet:
>
> "Combined with 2-4 servings of fat-free or low-fat dairy products,
> most healthy diets will contain at least 50-55 percent of calories
> from carbohydrates."
>
> http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4467

Thanks to retards like the AHA the Western world is more obese than at any
time in history.

--

A: Top-posters.

"Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts toward weight
> loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already spent 600$ on my bike this
> month and would like to stop spending for a while.

Well, it's been a few years since then, but here's how I did it:

1) Eat a purely vegetarian diet, vegan if possible.

2) Don't own any kind of motor vehicle.

3) Don't have a regular job or any daily commitments.

4) Keep your perspective limber by taking LSD once a week or so.

The pounds will just melt away! As a bonus, you will eventually learn
to recognize any neighborhood in your region by sound and smell as
well as by sight.

Chalo Colina

DRS wrote:

> "Terry Morse" wrote:
>
> > You write that as if it were true and universal. Here's what the
> > American Heart Association has to say about "carb addiction":

> Thanks to retards like the AHA the Western world is more obese than at any
> time in history.

Yeah, that's it. The AHA's to blame. Let's take 'em outside and
shoot 'em.

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>
>> "Terry Morse" wrote:
>>
>>> You write that as if it were true and universal. Here's what the
>>> American Heart Association has to say about "carb addiction":

>> Thanks to retards like the AHA the Western world is more obese than
>> at any time in history.

> Yeah, that's it. The AHA's to blame. Let's take 'em outside and
> shoot 'em.

I didn't say they were the whole problem. I said they were part of the
problem and they are. Their high carb low fat diets are retarded and so are
they. If you want to suppress appetite you lower your intake of simple
carbs as far as you can and you increase your protein intake. You also do
not reduce your intake of EFAs as these retards would have you do. That way
lies lots of health problems, everything from poor skin and hair to immune
system deficiencies. EFAs are not any sort of cardio threat, as any
nutritionist with a clue knows full well, and low fat diets are not healthy.

--

A: Top-posters.

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:31:20 -0700, Chalo wrote:

> 4) Keep your perspective limber by taking LSD once a week or so.

Where did I read recently, in a piece on 60s advertising,

"Ban takes the worry out of being close."

"LSD takes the worry out of being."

:)

"AMG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:31:20 -0700, Chalo wrote:
>
>> 4) Keep your perspective limber by taking LSD once a week or so.

> Where did I read recently, in a piece on 60s advertising,
>
> "Ban takes the worry out of being close."
>
> "LSD takes the worry out of being."

Whoever wrote that never had a bad trip.

--

A: Top-posters.

Per Elmsäter wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: So far, this has gotten 130 lbs off since i started back in October
::: 2001.
::
:: Not bad Roger. Not bad at all. You have most certainly invested in
:: several extra years on this planet. Years that you can enjoy even
:: more now that you've found biking.

I can't begin to describe how much I enjoy biking....what a fabulous bonus!

Well when I was younger... about 15 years ago, I lost 60 pounds during a
summer doing only biking. Of course I was doing like 200 miles per week
then ;)

> "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I put on some weight a couple of years ago from a thyroid condition.

> About
> > > 15 lbs, which doesn't sound like much but it was on me!

> > I have a 100 pounds to loose ;) 15 would be a dream ;)

> Preston Crawford, who used to hang around this newsgroup, lost about 150
> pounds cycling and changing to a high fiber, vegetarian diet. If he hadn't
> marked all his posts no archive, you could even see the before and after
> photos.
>

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
> Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Ha yes that Glycemic Index thing. Well can't say I believe in that.
Calories are calories, but whole grain is healtier... I was thinking of
getting spinach pasta as well. For now I will try lower pasta and switch to
a little rice with tofu, chicken and tuna.

"Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With the whole grain bread / pasta, the sugar is consumed with the fiber
> and is absorbed slower.
> With the white bread, the sugar is absorbed very quickly.
> This difference wass measured by having testing persons eating a
> quantity of food then testing their blood surar.
>
> This is from Dr. Arthur Agaston's book South Beach diet.
>
> http://www.southbeachdiet.com/
> http://www.glycemicindex.com/
>
> Badger_South wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:53:09 -0500, Mike Schwab <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Look for breads and pastas made with whole grain. Check health food
> > >stores.

> > Why? It's still going to spike your insulin. Tch; even the LC people

tout
> > this, but it's still bread.
> >
> > -Badger
> > "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

Well I don't eat much bread, I seldom use margarine and never use butter. I
buy olive oil margarine but 1 pound lasts
me about a year. Adding fat to reduce sugar absorbtion sounds ridiculous.
Adding 200 calories is not the way to go!

"Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Badger_South wrote:
> <snip>
> > If I were to start eating whole grain pasta and bread, I'd quickly
> > re-acquire my 'carb addiction'. So to suggest this to those on LC is
> > specious at best and purposefully misleading at worst.
> >

> In phase two of the South Beach Diet, Dr. Agaston recommends adding 1
> moderate carbohydrate food back at a time. A food that makes you hungry
> is then isolated and you should avoid that food. And he specifies that
> different people have different trigger foods. But one of his points is
> to make the diet fit into a person's lifestyle as well as possible.
>
> For bread, he suggests skipping bread entirely, put your hamburger in
> lettuce. If you don't want to skip bread entirely, go with whole grain
> wheat, the fiber slows absorbtion of the carb. If no whole grain, go
> with sourdough, the acids slow absorbtion of the carbs, not as much as
> the whole wheat. If no whole grain or sourdough, put on lots of real
> butter, the fats slow absorbtion of the carbs, but not as much. Do not
> use margarine, the partially hydrogenated oils (trans-fat) are worse
> than lard for artery clogging deposits.
>
> For pasta, instead of spaghetti and tomato sauce, have fettuchini
> alfredo, the fats in the sauce slow down absorbtion about half as fast.
>
> For pizza, get a thin crust bianca (white sauce like alfredo instead of
> tomato sauce). Still pretty high in carbs, but a slower rate of
> absorbtion.
>
> Again, the goal is not to totally avoid carbohydrates, but to absorb
> them slower. A high rate of absorbtion leads to high blood sugar levels
> which leads to large insulin releases which stores the sugars as fat in
> fat cells. Once the supply of sugar is absorbed, the insulin is still
> high and drives the blood sugar levels low which makes you hungry and
> you eat more. With the slower absorbing foods, the blood sugar does not
> get as high, you dont release little insulin to store the sugar as fat,
> your blood sugar goes down later and more gradually (about the time of
> your next scheduled snack or meal) and you don't get as hungry. Since
> your blood sugar levels don't get as low, you don't get as hungry, and
> you eat less. Eating less results in weight reduction.

Actually my personal guess about so many people being over weight is this:

Fast food + lack of physical activity X time = lots of extra fat on you.

If you make your own food and don't over eat, and have an active lifestyle
you will not be overweight. When you consider the caloric intake of a
single
meal at McDonalds there is no wonder people are overweight. 1800 calories
per meal is a great way to die young.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > DRS wrote:

> >> Thanks to retards like the AHA the Western world is more obese than
> >> at any time in history.

> > Yeah, that's it. The AHA's to blame. Let's take 'em outside and
> > shoot 'em.

> I didn't say they were the whole problem. I said they were part of the
> problem and they are. Their high carb low fat diets are retarded and so

are
> they. If you want to suppress appetite you lower your intake of simple
> carbs as far as you can and you increase your protein intake. You also do
> not reduce your intake of EFAs as these retards would have you do. That

way
> lies lots of health problems, everything from poor skin and hair to immune
> system deficiencies. EFAs are not any sort of cardio threat, as any
> nutritionist with a clue knows full well, and low fat diets are not

healthy.

> --
>
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Sounds like you are in Montreal too ;)

Where do you cycle besides Lachine? Gouin is a nice trail but getting there
is about 30 mins of traffic for me... ;(

Any suggestions?

As for rollers... you mean the thing you put your bike onto to make it a
stationary bike?

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Regarding cadence, I typically ride along at about 90 to 95 rpm and

> that's
> > > common among lots of the racer-type folks I train with. Learning to

do
> > that
> > > really transformed my cycling, shaving an hour off my time on some

> > centuries
> > > (over the course of a couple of seasons as I got the hang of the spin
> > > thing).

> > I know that 100 rpm is pretty common in cycling. I watched the women's
> > world cup
> > on TV yesterday and they don't seems to be spinning as fast as I tought

> 100
> > rpm would be.
> > Maybe I am spinning faster than I think. I will have to count my rpm

next
> > time I go out.
> >
> > > Some tips ... The spin starts from the hip. Think of the old style
> > > locomotive where there was a big drive wheel connected to the smaller

> > wheels
> > >

> > Ouf! I have developped a strong hatred for people on roller blades. Here

> in
> > Montreal
> > they are everywhere making cycling a pain. They block the trails and we
> > have to go in
> > the grass to pass them. I was thinking of installing a dual compressed

> air
> > horn like they
> > have on 18 wheelers on my bike to literally push them off the train...

but
> > think it is
> > illegal ;)
> >

> You're in Montreal? I hear ya. Yesterday the bike path to lachine was a
> ZOO- roller bladers, kids, families, etc. But what drives me nuts about
> those stupid bladers is that they often go so SLOW, and take up the whole
> lane. It was stop, start, stop, start, and I got off the path as soon as I
> could. At one point, I called out to a woman roller blader, but she didn't
> hear me because of her stupid walkman. So when I passed her I snapped my
> fingers in her face a couple of times, like HELLO! HELLO!
>
> HOwever, they weren't talking about roller bladers, but rollers, for
> practicing your spin. Still, I agree about roller bladers, I think

everyone
> does.
>

> Beginner bladers[*] are the worst, as they really *need* the whole path,
> weaving unpredictably left and right. And you don't dare call out to
> them, lest they get startled and fall right in front of your wheel.

Yep ain't that true. Some roller bladers can go 20 Km per hour, and take
little
space. Problem is those represent about 5% of the roller bladders. I don't
understand
why they don't practice in a parking lot or somewhere where they will not be
a danger to
themselves and others until they can be decent at it.

> That's what empty water bottles are for. (What, does anybody drag these
> things back home?)

ROFL!

> Pedaling rather than coasting on downhills, regardless of whether
> or not your getting any chain tension, might also be an effective
> way to work towards a smooth spin. I find it can actually be more
> challenging to get a smooth spin going when there's no chain tension.
>
> Sheldon Brown has an article on 'The Evils of Coasting'; it's
> an interesting read. I'd post the link here, but I'm offline
> right now. But at least it's easy to find.

Coasting? Who's coasting? When I hit a hill I go to the highest gear and
pedal the
heck out of my bike. I try to the get the highest speed possible. Not
doing so good
yet, my max is 60 Km/H but I suspect that might be the limit of my Cat Eye
computer...
anyone knows? I was sure flying when I did this.... had to slow down
because the road was in bad shape at the bottom too...
hitting a pothole at 60 Km/H is not something I want to try ;)