How to cycle for weight loss

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <1gf7cs4.1foejinqbh6e6N%[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
> >
> > > In that case, you might look at running in a lower gear and raising

your
> > > cadence a bit. That's exactly what was happening to be before I heard
> > > about faster cadences: I'd finish a ride and my legs would be so

tired
> > > I could hardly walk, and I wouldn't even be breathing hard. Raising

my
> > > cadence extended the life in my legs to the point where (after a few
> > > months of it), my legs and lungs give out at about the same time, and
> > > it's much further along than it was before.

> > an easy way to remember it: if your legs hurt, shift to an easier gear
> > (spin). if your lungs hurt, shift to a harder gear (push).

> And if they're both hurting, you better hope the ride's almost over
> <Grin>.
>

> > a nice easy spin is usually the most effective way to go, both for speed
> > on the road and physical comfort.

> Yes, within limits. I rode last week with a guy who was on a MTB, and
> he must have used a cadence of 110 to 120. But he only did it for a few
> (up to 15 or so) seconds at a time, then coasted for a while. Made me
> tired just watching him...
>
> --
> Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
> newsgroups if possible).

Is there a name for that technique? The burn all energy away spin maybe? ;)

Go for it Daniel!

I am advantaged by being a house husband at present with ample time in the
week to put on the kilometres.

Diet I will ultimately master.

I always load pre-ride (usually mid morning) with wholemeal toast, hi-carb
drink and 500 ml of my ride drink). I aim for 750 mil approx of ride drink
per hour (check out any commercially available drink). Average ride is 2.5
hrs to 4 .25 hrs.

Stretching before and after (I forgot to mention) is a major. Before (I get
back back aches...especially lower back) is a necessity and afterwards a
real bonus. I concentrate on lower back and hamstrings.

Don't touch that pizza..eat lotsa tomatoes... keep carb comsumption in the
morning, never at night.. lay off the beer and try white wine.... I have
lots of tips (none of which are really original) ... I'll promote my wisdom
once it has actually worked for me.

So far the weight is declining, my energy levels are up, I sleep well, I
drink far less alcohol, and most importantly I am a better husband and
father.

cheers

richie

"Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well Richie, we have a few things in common. You do a lot of milage,
> I wish I was doing that much. Right now I do a minimum of 16 KM per day
> just for commuting to work. I do about 50 KM on week ends. This week end
> I might do more since my legs are finally starting to adapt.
>
> I will let you know of my progress tomorrow when I wake up. I decided to

do
> my weight checks on Saturday mornings after waking up and going to the
> bathroom.
>
> I am sure I lost a few pounds but not much. I feel a lot better than 2
> weeks ago,
> energy is up and I feel a lot stronger and fit. I am sure I gained at

least
> a pound of
> muscle but that is hard to mesure.
>

> "richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am cycling for weight loss and am in week 6 of my base fitness

> programme.
> > I started at 100kg (220 pounds) on a 170 cm frame (I can be described as
> > short and very well padded). I ride a Giant OCR 2 with three front gear
> > rings. I am 45.
> >
> > I am now at 97 kg. Not a drastic reduction but the reason is still a

love
> > affair with ice cream and fish and chips. I have vowed to change this.

In
> > addition I have just started some weight training (low weights, high

reps)
> > for tone and increased strength/suppleness.
> >
> > I ride long rides primarily on the flat but with short (1-2km) hills

twice
> > in the ride. I live at the top of a sharp climb so some hill work is
> > inescapable. I started weekly mileage at 210 km and I increase my weekly
> > total by 5% for three weeks in a row. I then have a rest week where I

cut
> > my distance in half. I ride day on and day off with an occasional 2 or

> even
> > 3 day break if my body says rest a bit more. I sleep like a baby. My

> weekly
> > kilometrage is now heading towards 280km. I'm aiming for 350-450 max per
> > week. With base fitness and a lot less weight (aiming for 10-15 kg off)

> I'll
> > move on to strength and speed work as there is a 160k race in November I
> > have my eyes on.
> >
> > I don't get too disappointed at puffing slowly up the unavoidable hills

as
> > tell myself that every kg I lose will mean better speed and performance

in
> > due course. When the weight is down and my fitness is sparkling I look
> > forward to trying myself against some big hills.
> >
> > I spin at 90-100 rpm, trying to keep my beats per minute at 135-149.

(max
> > BPM is around 176). I never use the top gear ring, nearly always the

> middle
> > gear ring. I use a Polar heart monitor and download every ride to my

PC.
> > The growing graph database of distance/cadence/heart rate/time really

> helps
> > is my planning. During a ride my heart rate lets me know if I should

ease
> up
> > or pour more on. I can always chat with fellow riders.
> >
> > I believe this programme (for me) is the best to avoid over

> training/injury,
> > whilst ensuring shorter recovery times by high cadence spinning.

Provided
> > can be more disciplined on the diet side I am confident I can get under

90
> > kg ( my weight 14 years ago) and even more back to when I was a slim 18

> year
> > old. I am relishing the work and the challenge.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > richie
> >

> > "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Ok so when you have to breathe a little hard that is aerobic zone.
> > > Good to know, a friend of mine told me the same but I wanted to
> > > make sure. Right now my legs are slowing me down, not my
> > > lungs... so as soon as that changes I will try to keep in that zone
> > > for most of the rides and then perhaps add a few sprints on the
> > > way back to crank off the calorie burning and increase muscle
> > > strenght.

> > > It sure is muscle fatigue. Just odd that it lasts so long. I don't
> > > remember
> > > having had pain for more than a day before. Then again I was younger
> > > and perhaps my body is just getting slower at healing the damage done.
> > > Increasing protein intake is a good idea, thanks I will do that.

> > > Never heard of Vitamin I before ;) Will have to look into this.
> > >
> > > Anyone has toughts on Glucosamine? It's being promoted heavilly
> > > around here but I don't know anyone that have used it yet.
> > >
> > > Friend of mine was a Spirulin addict but I never tried that either ;)
> > >
> > > I don't really like the idea of vitamins in a pill I guess. I have

> > serious
> > > doubts that the body can absorb them correctly. When you take
> > > them you notice a really strong change in color in your urine so that
> > > means they get flushed away.

Well, lost 8 pounds this week. Since this is my first week of training and
dieting full time some of that is
probably water. Anyhow it is encouraging ;)

"richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Go for it Daniel!
>
> I am advantaged by being a house husband at present with ample time in the
> week to put on the kilometres.

Yes that is a big bonus, can ride a bit more than average. Just have to be
careful on the food side since some people
eat more while at home.

> Diet I will ultimately master.

I am not a diet freak. I cut my portions up a little, especially where I
used to abuse... I don't really need 2 big macs now,
do I? I cut down on the junk food like candy bars, cake and that sort of
things and replaced with fruits. I try to keep
my caloric intake bellow 2000 KCals per day and this week I only exceeded
once.

> I always load pre-ride (usually mid morning) with wholemeal toast, hi-carb
> drink and 500 ml of my ride drink). I aim for 750 mil approx of ride drink
> per hour (check out any commercially available drink). Average ride is 2.5
> hrs to 4 .25 hrs.

I would be careful about that... read the labels. If you use Gatorade for
instance, 750 ml of that is a lot of calories, more than
you are actually burning by cycling. I drink water when I ride, I should
have a second water bottle rack installed cause 1 bottle
is not much for a 4 hours ride. How do you manage to bring that much fluid
with you? 3L for 4 hours ride, do you drag a bag
with you? In terms of numbers, you will burn about 300 KCals per hour while
cycling, Gatorade is 250 KCal per 500 Ml if I
remember correctly, so you are gaining 25 Kcal per hour instead of loosing.
Of course those are not precise measurements but
overal you are cancelling out the gains your are getting... Have to be
really careful about this.

> Stretching before and after (I forgot to mention) is a major. Before (I

get
> back back aches...especially lower back) is a necessity and afterwards a
> real bonus. I concentrate on lower back and hamstrings.

I never stretch, I should start ... Just hate doing it and never felt
difference when I did it.

> Don't touch that pizza..eat lotsa tomatoes... keep carb comsumption in the
> morning, never at night.. lay off the beer and try white wine.... I have
> lots of tips (none of which are really original) ... I'll promote my

wisdom
> once it has actually worked for me.

Pizza in itself is not so bad. Just don't eat a whole pizza alone ;) 2
Slices of Pizza once in a
while is good. Contains cheese which is great and some veggies. I don't
drink at all thank god,
now there is one source of heavy calories ;)

> So far the weight is declining, my energy levels are up, I sleep well, I
> drink far less alcohol, and most importantly I am a better husband and
> father.

Interesting that the more we work out the more energy we have ;) I am glad
to read you are feeling better too. Good for you and keep it up. Let me
know
of you progress next week ;)

> [...]

> > > is my planning. During a ride my heart rate lets me know if I should

> ease
> > up
> > > or pour more on. I can always chat with fellow riders.
> > >
> > > I believe this programme (for me) is the best to avoid over

> > training/injury,
> > > whilst ensuring shorter recovery times by high cadence spinning.

> Provided
> > > can be more disciplined on the diet side I am confident I can get

under
> 90
> > > kg ( my weight 14 years ago) and even more back to when I was a slim

18
> > year
> > > old. I am relishing the work and the challenge.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > richie
> > >

> > > "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

;)

> > > serious

that

Hi Daniel

I stay away from Gatorade etc instead I prefer Musashi Growling Dog. The
heightened metabolism post exercise helps as well as good energy intake
helping quicker recovery (I find).

Two 750 mil bottles plus another two behind seat.

richie

> [...]

> > > I wish I was doing that much. Right now I do a minimum of 16 KM per

day
> > > just for commuting to work. I do about 50 KM on week ends. This week

> end
> > > I might do more since my legs are finally starting to adapt.
> > >
> > > I will let you know of my progress tomorrow when I wake up. I decided

> > do
> > > my weight checks on Saturday mornings after waking up and going to the
> > > bathroom.
> > >
> > > I am sure I lost a few pounds but not much. I feel a lot better than

2
> > > weeks ago,
> > > energy is up and I feel a lot stronger and fit. I am sure I gained at

> > least
> > > a pound of
> > > muscle but that is hard to mesure.
> > >

> > > "richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I lost 17 pounds from February to September. I also rode 3520 miles before the ride. It is way easier to push the plate away then it is to climb the hills. I'm glad I lost the weight, but there's got to be an easier way.

On many of my training rides, the middle point of the ride was an ice cream store. A&W Rootbeer floats were also used for replenishment.

Natural Remedies for Weight Loss

mari33201 said:
I lost 17 pounds from February to September. I also rode 3520 miles before the ride. It is way easier to push the plate away then it is to climb the hills. I'm glad I lost the weight, but there's got to be an easier way. On many of my training rides, the middle point of the ride was an ice cream store. A&W Rootbeer floats were also used for replenishment. Natural Remedies for Weight Loss
It's obvious you want folks to read your article, but the threads you're responding to are 9 years old. They're dead.