How to deal with drivers

RyGuy321

Jul 4, 2014
Hello everybody,

I am a semi-dedicated cyclist (read fair-weather commuter). I bike to work most days, about a 10 km round-trip.

As a driver I can't stand when cyclists switch back and forth from "vehicle mode" to "pedestrian mode" and it is a HUGE problem in the city I live in (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada). The city is not set up well for cyclists and most of them either don't know the rules or don't follow them. Since this annoys me so much, when I am on the bike I try to obey the rules of the road anywhere I safely can.

My route consists of a somewhat busy city street, a long stretch of shared pathway along the river and then some university campus roads. I generally don't have a problem with drivers giving me space or cutting me off when I have the right of way. The problem I do have is drivers stopping for me when I clearly do NOT have the right of way. I'll be sitting at a stop sign or in a traffic lane waiting to turn left and some moron will stop to let me through.

I know they are trying to be courteous, but it is a big safety hazard because other drivers aren't expecting this person to stop. What do you do when you're encountered by someone who stops for you when they shouldn't? Do you wave them through? Do you just take the breaks you're given?

It just gets really frustrating trying to obey the rules of the road and then some yutz comes along and in trying to be nice, screws it up for everyone else. I'm likely fighting a losing battle here, since everyone in the city expects cyclists to randomly ride out into traffic and generally not obey the laws.

I can sympathize with your frustration with both the rude or oblivious cyclists, making us all look bad , and the over polite drivers. I live in downtown Toronto, Ontario, and see both everyday. Take what is given , but don't expect it. If you slow right down a little before stop signs usually the drivers will take the hint and proceed correctly. As for cyclists who refuse to learn or respect the rules of the road, experience and education are the only tonics for that annoyance.

I never cross an intersection when waved through (against right of way)... I've nearly been hit too many times to ever do that again. Too often at crossings one car will stop but traffic in the other direction refuses, or I've had people stop, flag me through, and immediately go again. I just smile and flag them on through. I have enough trouble with truly reckless people that I'm not going to risk anything for someone trying to be nice. They're as dangerous as people who refuse (or are too timid) to pass... which causes traffic to build up and someone a few cars back will inevitably make an incredibly dangerous pass... and to make matters worse, everybody stuck in traffic will blame it on the cyclist and not the car that won't pass.

If you want to be polite, smile, then reach down for your water bottle and wave the car along. The driver will think that you're taking a little break and go. This avoids the classic "Mexican standoff" that often happens at 4 way stop signs in places where drivers forgot the right of way question on the written test. Or never learned it to begin with. :big-smile:

I can relate to you on this. Drivers can sometimes be extremely nice, or malicious. I just do not think much of it, and smile/wave. To some, this may seem like the safer thing to do. In most cases, the drivers just do not know how to drive with bikers on the road. I don't want to give them a bad impression!

Bluman said:
I never cross an intersection when waved through (against right of way)... I've nearly been hit too many times to ever do that again. Too often at crossings one car will stop but traffic in the other direction refuses, or I've had people stop, flag me through, and immediately go again. I just smile and flag them on through. I have enough trouble with truly reckless people that I'm not going to risk anything for someone trying to be nice. They're as dangerous as people who refuse (or are too timid) to pass... which causes traffic to build up and someone a few cars back will inevitably make an incredibly dangerous pass... and to make matters worse, everybody stuck in traffic will blame it on the cyclist and not the car that won't pass.
This is probably the smartest way to deal with the issue at hand. It creates no further problems such as getting hit! Other drivers won't get mad and out of irritation and haste rush past the stopped vehicle. By waving them through, you look polite and save yourself and anyone else any trouble whether your fault or not.

I always let the cars go first and then go because I'd rather not deal with getting hit. Car vs car, people can walk away because there's more protection, a car vs. bicycle- the cyclist will always lose.

[SIZE=10.5pt]It is really difficult to deal with these drivers because some of them are so hard-headed when obeying traffic rules and laws. Some of them also have no respect to their fellow drivers on the road especially to cyclists. We must have a lot of patience when dealing in this kind of situations because it may get us into trouble when we lose our temper. Continuing to follow the rules is a good solution, and letting the law and traffic enforcers be the ones who will teach these people a lesson would be the appropriate thing to do. [/SIZE]

You need to follow road rules and stick on your side. That is the only way you can cycle safely. Some cyclists are rude, even some drivers are rude also. But if you follow road rules you will find yourself in a better position,in case of an accident.