How to Deal with Hostile Security

I have been commuting to work for many years. I recently relocated my
office to a new complex. And the hassles for security have reached an
all-time level. I park the bicycle at the only racks in the complex
(two buildings away in the garage) and as soon as I get off the bicycle
I am surrounded by security questioning whether I actually work in the
building. Today I parked and didn't specifically see any security and
so I walked down to the lobby of my building and entered. At which
point I was told by the Security guard in the lobby to "freeze" and I
was told to identify myself and state my business in the building. It
took 15 minutes before they allowed me to go up to my office.

I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
better solution. The head of security said that it was necessary to do
this as they were concerned that bicyclists might use the building's
racks and then go and use the Subway next to the building. This
ignores the fact that the building has lousy old 1960's style racks
which provide poor locking surfaces and that the CTA station has many
brand new high tech racks, a number of "bicycle locking bubbles", and
CTA security personnel next to the racks. I really don't want to
start parking at the CTA station, but I am thinking that this may be my
"best option.

BTW. I commute only 12 miles in each direction and my bike of
preference is a 1970's rebuilt road bike. I have three of them and
switch off depending on my mood. (a 21 speed, an 18 speed and a 12
speed... all with different ranges of gears). Its a heck of a lot
better to commute on one of these than on those horrible things now
being passed off as "city bikes" and not nearly as expensive and more
durable than a high tech road bike.

You could make yourself an official-looking badge with your picture on
it and the address of your office (got PhotoShop?). Laminate it and
wear it on a lanyard around your neck or clip it to your shirt. If
you get hassled by the man, flash your badge, thank them for being so
diligent in doing their jobs, and politely remind them that they work
for you (albeit indirectly).

Good luck!

- Forbes B-Black

Have you tried complaining to HR? Not that I hold HR in high regard,
but they've got to be good for something.

I'm surprised that your employer doesn't have ID badges, given that
they actually have security guards. I've never worked anywhere that
had the latter without the former. If you have an ID badge and are
wearing it, ask why they are giving you a hassle when you obviously
work there.

Jeff

Thanks. I guess so. On the other hand, they do not cross examine
every person who walks into the building (cars, pedestrians, transit
riders) and quite honestly, I am more than a little po'd about being
focused on merely becuase I happened to ride a bicycle.

Its a bit more complex than that. Most of the building is the offices
of a large bank and most of the people work for the Bank. But some of
the space is rented out to outside tennants. That would be me. In
fact my name is one of the few names on the Directory. And I believe
that our society is over-regulated and will not issue ID's to my
employees. (In addition, real and effective security does not use
ID's. People get lazy and look at the ID and not the person on the
conduct.)

On 28 Apr 2006 14:15:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I have been commuting to work for many years. I recently relocated my
>office to a new complex. And the hassles for security have reached an
>all-time level. I park the bicycle at the only racks in the complex
>(two buildings away in the garage) and as soon as I get off the bicycle
>I am surrounded by security questioning whether I actually work in the
>building. Today I parked and didn't specifically see any security and
>so I walked down to the lobby of my building and entered. At which
>point I was told by the Security guard in the lobby to "freeze" and I
>was told to identify myself and state my business in the building. It
>took 15 minutes before they allowed me to go up to my office.
>
>I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
>better solution.

My advice: Use the chain of command. Report the problem to your
supervisor, and note that the security people are actively
interefering with your ability to get to work on time despite your
having done nothing that is outside of company-permitted actions. If
this doesn't achieve the needed result, ask what accommodation the
company can provide to alleviate the problem.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 28 Apr 2006 14:57:43 -0700, "David the Nationals Fan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Its a bit more complex than that. Most of the building is the offices
>of a large bank and most of the people work for the Bank. But some of
>the space is rented out to outside tennants. That would be me. In
>fact my name is one of the few names on the Directory. And I believe
>that our society is over-regulated and will not issue ID's to my
>employees. (In addition, real and effective security does not use
>ID's. People get lazy and look at the ID and not the person on the
>conduct.)

Ah. Well, then, it's time to call the people who are responsible for
the lease on your office, and hand off the matter to *them*, stating
that if the Security people can't be trained, you'll have little
choice but to seek another office space, and unless they are willing
to foot the bill for moving you and paying the incidental costs
associated, perhaps they should get the matter resolved promptly.

*You* should not have to fix this problem.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Its a bit more complex than that. Most of the building is the offices
>of a large bank and most of the people work for the Bank. But some of
>the space is rented out to outside tennants. That would be me. In
>fact my name is one of the few names on the Directory. And I believe
>that our society is over-regulated and will not issue ID's to my
>employees. (In addition, real and effective security does not use
>ID's. People get lazy and look at the ID and not the person on the
>conduct.)

Do I understand correctly that you are renting space there (not
working for someone who rents space,but are the actual renter)? If so,
complain to whomever you rented it from.

CMM

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Today I parked and didn't specifically see any security and
> so I walked down to the lobby of my building and entered. At which
> point I was told by the Security guard in the lobby to "freeze" and I
> was told to identify myself and state my business in the building. It
> took 15 minutes before they allowed me to go up to my office.

The next time this happens, do this:

1. If it's the same guards every day, say "I work here, same as I did
yesterday. Why are you singling me out for harrassment every single day?
Don't you recognize me by now?"

2. Find out which security firm they work for, and call them to
complain. Let them know that security at building so-and-so are
harrassing you because of your appearance, that you are a paying tenant
of the building, and that this needs to stop. If possible, get the names
of the guards, and cite them specifically.

3. Contact building management, and repeat step (2) with them. Let them
know that /their/ security are harrassing paying tenants, and they'll
generally make it stop. If not, remind them that you'll be glad to take
your business elsewhere when your lease is up.

> I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
> better solution. The head of security said that it was necessary to do
> this as they were concerned that bicyclists might use the building's
> racks and then go and use the Subway next to the building.

That doesn't excuse harrassing you *every day*. They should recognize
you by now. Remind him of that fact next time this happens.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

I like your attitude with regard to over-regulation and ID. At a prior
employer (>10,000 employees), one of my coworkers replaced his ID
picture with that of Homer Simpson and was not noticed for weeks.

Given that your name is on the directory of the building, talk to your
landlord. He pays the security folks and you pay him. Follow the
money.

Jeff

"Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
> > better solution. The head of security said that it was necessary to do
> > this as they were concerned that bicyclists might use the building's
> > racks and then go and use the Subway next to the building.

> That doesn't excuse harrassing you *every day*. They should recognize
> you by now. Remind him of that fact next time this happens.

And you should recognize them by now too. A cheery "Good morning! <insert
security guard's name here>" would tend to remind them you belong there.

Sometimes the little people just like to be recognized.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I have been commuting to work for many years. I recently relocated my
> office to a new complex. And the hassles for security have reached an
> all-time level.

It sounds like you're the business owner, if you're the one who
relocated the office, right? If so, skip security and talk to your
property manager, tell them this sort of treatment is unacceptable and
you want it fixed. Security is hired help, they have to do what
management tells them. You're paying the rent, management cares what
you think of their hired help. Or, if they don't, maybe it's time to
find a new landlord.

Personally, as a business owner, I have an official written policy that
my bike goes into my office, and I spoke to the property manager about
it before leasing my space.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

On 28 Apr 2006 14:15:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I have been commuting to work for many years. I recently relocated my
>office to a new complex. And the hassles for security have reached an
>all-time level. I park the bicycle at the only racks in the complex
>(two buildings away in the garage) and as soon as I get off the bicycle
>I am surrounded by security questioning whether I actually work in the
>building. Today I parked and didn't specifically see any security and
>so I walked down to the lobby of my building and entered. At which
>point I was told by the Security guard in the lobby to "freeze" and I
>was told to identify myself and state my business in the building. It
>took 15 minutes before they allowed me to go up to my office.
>
>I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
>better solution. The head of security said that it was necessary to do
>this as they were concerned that bicyclists might use the building's
>racks and then go and use the Subway next to the building. This
>ignores the fact that the building has lousy old 1960's style racks
>which provide poor locking surfaces and that the CTA station has many
>brand new high tech racks, a number of "bicycle locking bubbles", and
>CTA security personnel next to the racks. I really don't want to
>start parking at the CTA station, but I am thinking that this may be my
>"best option.
>
>BTW. I commute only 12 miles in each direction and my bike of
>preference is a 1970's rebuilt road bike. I have three of them and
>switch off depending on my mood. (a 21 speed, an 18 speed and a 12
>speed... all with different ranges of gears). Its a heck of a lot
>better to commute on one of these than on those horrible things now
>being passed off as "city bikes" and not nearly as expensive and more
>durable than a high tech road bike.

You don't mention the pointed discussion you had with the landlord/ building
management and your recommendation that they retain a _competent_ security
agency. Perhaps a friendly or retained attorney might explain it with painful
clarity in a brief letter.

This is not a bicycle problem.

Ron

Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> I have been commuting to work for many years. I recently relocated
>> my office to a new complex. And the hassles for security have
>> reached an all-time level.

> It sounds like you're the business owner, if you're the one who
> relocated the office, right? If so, skip security and talk to your
> property manager, tell them this sort of treatment is unacceptable and
> you want it fixed. Security is hired help, they have to do what
> management tells them. You're paying the rent, management cares what
> you think of their hired help. Or, if they don't, maybe it's time to
> find a new landlord.
>
> Personally, as a business owner, I have an official written policy
> that my bike goes into my office, and I spoke to the property manager
> about it before leasing my space.

My company leases space in an office building.
I do not own the business but my bike goes with me into the office.
The security guards see me every morning on their cameras as I wheel the
bike down the hallway into the office (make sure the tires are clean),
they all know me now and ask how my ride was each morning. Because I
bring my bike into the building I even get chances to try to recruit
others into the bike commute world; unfortunately I have not succeeded
yet, but I will continue to be an advocate.

Rich

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) I park the bicycle at the only
racks in the complex (two buildings away in the garage) and as soon as I get
off the bicycle I am surrounded by security questioning whether I actually
work in the building. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You use the parking facilities provided. If you get hassled, I guess we can
assume that any bicycle rider who uses those racks gets hassled also. What
do you suppose the intended purpose of the racks is--they don't seem to want
them to be used by anyone.

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Today I parked and didn't
specifically see any security and so I walked down to the lobby of my
building and entered. At which point I was told by the Security guard in
the lobby to "freeze" and I was told to identify myself and state my
business in the building. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is this consistent with their claim that they are doing this to prevent
the racks from being used by CTA riders?

"Freeze?" That's even too corny for today's TV scripts. Did they make you
"Spread 'em?"

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:15:33 GMT, "Cathy Kearns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> > I can't keep putting up with this. I need to try to figure out a
>> > better solution. The head of security said that it was necessary to do
>> > this as they were concerned that bicyclists might use the building's
>> > racks and then go and use the Subway next to the building.

>> That doesn't excuse harrassing you *every day*. They should recognize
>> you by now. Remind him of that fact next time this happens.

>And you should recognize them by now too. A cheery "Good morning! <insert
>security guard's name here>" would tend to remind them you belong there.
>
> Sometimes the little people just like to be recognized.

When they act *this* little, they need to be squashed like the bugs
they are. OTOH, knowing their names, and finding out the names of
their supervisors and of the manager of the security firm's branch
office nearby, might unnerve them a bit. There are times when one
must use devious means to disarm an adversary.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I like your attitude with regard to over-regulation and ID. At a prior
>> employer (>10,000 employees), one of my coworkers replaced his ID
>> picture with that of Homer Simpson and was not noticed for weeks.

> My husband had a badge with the visage of Mike Tyson.

When I misplaced my ID, I just waved my Jewel Preferred Card (supermarket
frequent shopper card) and this worked for a few days until I found my ID
again. This won't work any more because we now use RFID.

The use of RFID's seems to have eliminated the periodic waves of purse
robberies in the building. I think life is a balance, and if it makes the
building where I work safer I think ID's are worth the tradeoff. Cameras as
well -- the company's only going to have one security guard at night for our
two interconnected buildings, and electronics can provide a help.

On 28 Apr 2006 14:15:38 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
[email protected] wrote:

> I park the bicycle at the only racks in the complex
> (two buildings away in the garage) and as soon as I get off the bicycle
> I am surrounded by security questioning whether I actually work in the
> building. Today I parked and didn't specifically see any security and
> so I walked down to the lobby of my building and entered. At which
> point I was told by the Security guard in the lobby to "freeze" and I
> was told to identify myself and state my business in the building. It
> took 15 minutes before they allowed me to go up to my office.

are you a tenant, or an employee of a tenant? if you are the
tenant, complain to the landlord, and ask them to distribute your
picture (with your bike) to the security folks. and tell the
landlord that you consider this kind of heavy-handed idiocy a
violation of your lease! do they drive your customers/clients
away doing the same thing?

the worst thing that 9/11 did was to make a bunch of retired cops
into double-dipping "security experts" who couldn't protect a
building to save their lives. the terrorists have won.

if you're an employee of a tenant, have your boss file a
complaint with the landlord about the idiots running their
"security".