How to determine a road bike frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Walker, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Walker

Walker New Member

I'm starting to become a road bike rider, and I'd like to know how can I make the calculation that let me knowing which better size will be to me? I have 1.80m or 5' 9".

Tags:

2. devinci_freak

devinci_freak New Member

it depends whether it is compact road or not

3. mtcolo

mtcolo New Member

Roughly based on your heigh without knowing your inseam and other measurements a 56 cm is probably about right for a traditional road bike or a medium compact frame. The best way is to take different measuremensts and calculate about frame size, saddle height etc. Hinault & Lemond both have a VERY precise system that still works today and can be found in their respective books. Provided they are still in print... or they could be found as a deal on eBay.

4. drewjc

drewjc New Member

without deliberately trying to be annoying......5'9" is closer to 1.75m as opposed to 1.8m which u have said. I was going to offer my opinion in that i ride a 57cm and am 1.8m tall but this also depends on how the manufacturer measures the size.....a medium size compact frame should be a good fit for u.

5. BugMan

BugMan New Member

U really need to ride the frames U are considering to know for sure. I am 176 cm (5'9½") and ride a 54 cm frame (Kestrel), but some other brand might be different.

6. derrick VL

derrick VL New Member