how to determine mileage

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by leo, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. leo

    leo Guest

    How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    leo wrote:
    > How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    > gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    > finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    > know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    > that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    pretty good. It is at

    http://www.usatf.org/routes/map

    Pedometers are OK and some others have posted here about GPS units. Try
    some google searches on this group and you may get more info. But try
    out that map site, it's really nice.

    Ed

  3. Tom Phillips

    Tom Phillips Guest

    Ed Prochak wrote:

    > leo wrote:
    > > How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    > > gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    > > finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    > > know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    > > that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    > The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    > pretty good. It is at
    >
    > http://www.usatf.org/routes/map
    >
    > Pedometers are OK and some others have posted here about GPS units. Try
    > some google searches on this group and you may get more info. But try
    > out that map site, it's really nice.

    Pedometers aren't very efficacious for running IMO
    especially if you run hills at all. GPS would be
    better for general route distance, but again mileage
    varies with topography and maps don't show this.

    I tend to run and bike the same routes so my
    cyclometer tells me the exact mileage.

  4. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Tom Phillips wrote:

    > Ed Prochak wrote:
    >
    >>leo wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    >>>gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    >>>finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    >>>know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    >>>that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    >>The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    >>pretty good. It is at
    >>
    >>http://www.usatf.org/routes/map
    >>
    >>Pedometers are OK and some others have posted here about GPS units. Try
    >>some google searches on this group and you may get more info. But try
    >>out that map site, it's really nice.

    > Pedometers aren't very efficacious for running IMO
    > especially if you run hills at all. GPS would be
    > better for general route distance, but again mileage
    > varies with topography and maps don't show this.
    >
    > I tend to run and bike the same routes so my
    > cyclometer tells me the exact mileage.

    Just another thought. Unless they say otherwise in this group, I assume
    they're likely running roads where the hills aren't that big a deal. I'd
    guess maps probably give reasonable estimates for most road runs -
    unless he's going over Loveland Pass ;) I usually depend on my S625x
    for running most of the time, and use gps for long or sloppy runs or
    other activities - or mapping. GPS cuts out too much where I am for it
    to be dependable unless on top my cb, and even then has lapses when the
    satellites are poorly configured.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  5. Tom Phillips

    Tom Phillips Guest

    Dot wrote:

    > Tom Phillips wrote:
    > >
    > > Ed Prochak wrote:

    > >>The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    > >>pretty good. It is at
    > >>
    > >>http://www.usatf.org/routes/map
    > >>
    > >>Pedometers are OK and some others have posted here about GPS units. Try
    > >>some google searches on this group and you may get more info. But try
    > >>out that map site, it's really nice.

    > > Pedometers aren't very efficacious for running IMO
    > > especially if you run hills at all. GPS would be
    > > better for general route distance, but again mileage
    > > varies with topography and maps don't show this.
    > >
    > > I tend to run and bike the same routes so my
    > > cyclometer tells me the exact mileage.

    > Just another thought. Unless they say otherwise in this group, I assume
    > they're likely running roads where the hills aren't that big a deal. I'd
    > guess maps probably give reasonable estimates for most road runs -
    > unless he's going over Loveland Pass ;)

    Or lives in San Francisco...

    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of
    winding trails. Too many avalanches on the divide
    (or snowboarders, take your pick ;-) ) For roads
    I usually just drive the route to check mileage,
    before or after, if needed for some reason. OTOH
    my mileage vs time is pretty consistent on flat
    pavement, so time is a good estimate.

    I generally hate taking gadgets along on my runs,
    rarely even a watch.

    I usually depend on my S625x
    > for running most of the time, and use gps for long or sloppy runs or
    > other activities - or mapping. GPS cuts out too much where I am for it
    > to be dependable unless on top my cb, and even then has lapses when the
    > satellites are poorly configured.
    >
    > Dot
    >
    > --
    > "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    > away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > leo wrote:
    >> How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or
    >> any
    >> gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when
    >> I'm
    >> finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can
    >> let me
    >> know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this
    >> info,
    >> that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    > The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    > pretty good. It is at
    >
    > http://www.usatf.org/routes/map

    I was using that until someone showed me http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    This one will give you elevation gain and loss at least for roads. Since
    I'm stuck on roads for the winter it helps me pick out some nice
    undulation. It also does miles and calories(for the true bean counter).
    How accurate I'm not sure but all I want is some rough idea.

    -DF

  7. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >> The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    >> pretty good. It is at
    >>
    >> http://www.usatf.org/routes/map

    > I was using that until someone showed me
    > http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ This one will give you elevation gain
    > and loss at least for roads. Since I'm stuck on roads for the winter
    > it helps me pick out some nice undulation. It also does miles and
    > calories(for the true bean counter). How accurate I'm not sure but all
    > I want is some rough idea.

    I like the USATF site because you can save your routes as well as search
    other saved routes.

    --
    Phil M.

  8. We See

    We See Guest

    n busines
    n political
    or us.
    I know us. it is simple. 2+2=4

    as for the n
    well I trying to avoid them....

  9. THE VICAR

    THE VICAR Guest

    "leo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:9%[email protected]
    > How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    > gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    > finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    > know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    > that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    If you're not in tune to your pace yet you might be better off just running
    based on time.

  10. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:01:25 -0800, "leo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or any
    >gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when I'm
    >finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can let me
    >know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this info,
    >that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    I'm fortunate in that the long time high school assistant cross
    country coach has taken one of those rolling measuring devices and
    walked all the local woods trails, putting mile marks on trees. There
    are also several sanctioned 5K and 10K measured courses in the area.
    You might check and see if there are established courses in your area
    that have been sanctioned and accurately measured.

    When out of town, I usually convert to running by time and rough check
    by speedometer if it can be driven. My normal training pace doesn't
    vary that much and I just run until I hit the time I'm looking for and
    it should correspond to the mileage I'm trying to achieve.

    Frank

  11. On 2006-01-16, Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pedometers aren't very efficacious for running IMO
    > especially if you run hills at all. GPS would be
    > better for general route distance, but again mileage
    > varies with topography and maps don't show this.

    Not sure what you mean by this. If you're worried that the
    GPS is measuring the base of the triangle and not the hypotenuse,
    you shouldn't sweat it. You're talking ~1% error for a 15% grade.

    > I tend to run and bike the same routes so my
    > cyclometer tells me the exact mileage.

    No, there is no method that gives you the "exact" mileage. A bike
    odometer is pretty good but you probably should do a calibration
    run if you want it to be accurate (and the calibration run needs
    to be measured to the nearest spoke, not just magnet counts)

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  12. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    By time.
    Calibrate your abilities on few known distances similar to
    your runs and whether you are doing an easy or hard run.
    Then you'll have a good idea whether you are doing 6 min miles or
    8 min miles etc on particular type of course.

  13. Holmbrew

    Holmbrew Guest

    That site is awesome!!!

    Doug Freese wrote:
    > "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> leo wrote:
    >>> How do I determine how many miles I have ran? Are sport watches or
    >>> any
    >>> gadget I can wear that I can start when I begin to run and stop when
    >>> I'm
    >>> finished and it will tell me how many miles I have ran? If you can
    >>> let me
    >>> know a cheap either sport watch or gadget that can let me know this
    >>> info,
    >>> that would be great. I don't need an expensive product. thanks

    >> The USA Track & Field web site has a mapping option. It seems to be
    >> pretty good. It is at
    >>
    >> http://www.usatf.org/routes/map

    > I was using that until someone showed me http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    > This one will give you elevation gain and loss at least for roads. Since
    > I'm stuck on roads for the winter it helps me pick out some nice
    > undulation. It also does miles and calories(for the true bean counter).
    > How accurate I'm not sure but all I want is some rough idea.
    >
    > -DF

  14. n busines
    n political
    or us.