how to do a flip turn ?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ctt, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Ctt

    Ctt Guest

    Hi,

    I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    people doing flip turns.

    I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.

    I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).

    What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you going
    quickest ?

    Thanks-

    Tags:

  2. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I twist during the turn. I've been told that you should push off on your back and twist after you
    push off, but the way Im doing it now seems to be ok. Most of the other kids on my team do what I
    do, and it is quite efficient.

    Hope this helps,

    -Matt

    ctt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > people doing flip turns.
    >
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    >
    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    > to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    > taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    >
    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?
    >
    > Thanks-

  3. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    >I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    >sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.

    That's a somersault turn, but most people call it a flip turn, too.

    >I push off my turns while I'm "upside down",
    >i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the
    > only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even taught a bunch of people to do it my way
    > (hope I didn't do them a disservice).

    The true flip turn comes in handy for both crawl and backstroke. My coach felt that somersaulters
    tend to stay on the wall while twisting, which would be slower.

  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    > to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    > taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    >
    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?
    >
    > Thanks-

    The concern, IMHO, is repositioning of the feet. As long as your feet don't spend any extra time on
    the wall I don't think it really matter what your orientation of the wall is like.

    GL Mike

  5. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (ctt) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > people doing flip turns.
    >
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    >
    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    > to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    > taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    >
    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?
    >
    > Thanks-

    To take this question a little further, *I* would like to as "how do you DO a flip turn?" I just got
    into swimming - fairly seriously - about a year ago, and now that I'm working on long continuous
    swims (I'm up to 300-400m, a lifetime best for me), I might like to learn the flip turn.

    Nowadays, I just swim to the end of the pool, touch with one hand and as my feet swing under me, I
    let them propel me off the wall. No flip or somersault or anything fancy. I'm training for my first
    triathlon (with a 100m) swim, and it'll be in a pool. Just getting through the swim will be a big
    deal for me (well, 100m will be a breeze given my current yardage), so I haven't worried about the
    fancy turns.

    Can the flip turn be explained here, or is it best taught in person?

    thanks,

    Cam

  6. Mrdancer

    Mrdancer Guest

    "ctt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.

    That's how I do it. I'm pretty quick with it, though, so don't see any advantage to going with the
    true flip (for myself). However, I think the twist flip is probably less graceful, and I probably
    tend to splash more water up on the sides of the pool (it has almost no freeboard) than if I'd have
    done the true flip.

    --
    Remove .your.underwear to reply
    --

  7. ctt wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > people doing flip turns.
    >
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    >
    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back.

    Well, I tumble straight over, but when my feet hit the wall, I'm already pretty much on my side. If
    I am racing, I push off that way and level off on the glide. If I am training, and there might be
    swimmers coming up behind me, I twist while my feet are on the wall, so that I see what I am heading
    into before push off.

    > Then I do a twist after the push off to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it
    > in this weird way. In fact I even taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them
    > a disservice).

    If you are truly on your back when you push off, I think you should experiment with twisting part
    way during the tumble.

    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?

    Whatever gets you going the quickest, with the caveat described above of hesitating on the wall and
    twisting there before pushing off, when there is possible congestion behind you.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  8. Have you tried thinking of it as a Judo roll? If you watch the martial arts stuff, the fighters find
    it easier to stand up and to turn to face their opponents again by rotating their shoulders as they
    initiate their somersault. Does that give you a mental picture to work with? "ctt"
    > Hi,
    >
    > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > people doing flip turns.
    >
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    >
    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    > to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    > taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    >
    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?
    >
    > Thanks-

  9. Paul Gormley

    Paul Gormley Guest

    If you twist with your feet on the wall, you risk damage to your back. Dip one shoulder as you begin
    the rotation so that feet plant on the wall at 45 degrees then complete movement onto front after
    push-off. Paul "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I twist during the turn. I've been told that you should push off on your back and twist after you
    > push off, but the way Im doing it now seems to be ok. Most of the other kids on my team do what I
    > do, and it is quite efficient.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > -Matt
    >

    > ctt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > > people doing flip turns.
    > >
    > > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    > >
    > > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push
    > > off to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I
    > > even taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    > >
    > > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > > going quickest ?
    > >
    > > Thanks-

  10. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:31:20 GMT, "MrDancer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That's how I do it. I'm pretty quick with it, though, so don't see any advantage to going with the
    >true flip (for myself). However, I think the twist flip is probably less graceful, and I probably
    >tend to splash more water up on the sides of the pool (it has almost no freeboard) than if I'd have
    >done the true flip.

    Maglischo recommends the "somersault" flip for the crawl and the "true" flip for backstroke. His
    picture sequence of the "somersault," however, isn't that different than the one for the flip. The
    fellow rotates his feet only about 20 or 30 degrees before pushing off.

    I agree that as long as you push off quickly it probably doesn't matter whether you somersault or
    not. I have seen guys that touch the wall, twist while still on the wall, then push off. They might
    as well do an open turn.

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  11. K. Smunt

    K. Smunt Guest

    [email protected] (ctt) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I never paid much attention to this until today when I was at the gym and just happened to watch
    > people doing flip turns.
    >
    > I noticed that their turns are different than mine in that their flip included a "twist" of some
    > sort and they were able to push off on their stomaches.
    >
    > I push off my turns while I'm "upside down", i.e. on my back. Then I do a twist after the push off
    > to be on my stomach. It seems that I'm the only one doing it in this weird way. In fact I even
    > taught a bunch of people to do it my way (hope I didn't do them a disservice).
    >
    > What's the correct way to do it? Or maybe there's no "correct" way and just whatever gets you
    > going quickest ?
    >
    > Thanks-

    Correct way to perform a turn :

    1) approach wall
    2) approx 1 arms length away from the wall (glide into the wall with one arm extended in front to
    judge the distance) start the turn.
    3) just before the extended arm touches the wall bring it to the side of body - both arms should be
    in this postition.
    4) roll forward try to tuck your head into your chest.
    5) blow out through your nose and mouth - RELAX
    6) just go with the momentum of your body
    7) you should end up on your back - where you can twist to one side and then breath.

    8) once the above is mastered - probably 3 weeks at 4 session a wk, then you can start to experiment
    - ie twisting to get out of the turn quicker - the less time you spend in the turn - the more
    time you have to swim.

    As for starting outon turns.
    9) swim normally - touching the side of the pool to turn - for say 2weeks BUT EVERY TURN YOU MAKE
    try to take breath BEFORE touching the side and make sure you DO NOT TAKE A BREATH until you
    resume your stroke.

    one of the problems with turning, is the fact that you have to get used to holding your breath and
    blowing through your nose whilst underwater and perfmorming the turn.

    I know about 4 friends who can perform turns perfectly, but , can't intergrate them into their
    stroke due to the lack of breath - if you persist - it is quite rewarding.

    just my 2 cents worth

    matt