How to do straight leg lifts?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Whenever I try running on a daily basis, my right kneecap gets
    dislodged. It floats around freely, and there's severe pain behind the
    kneecap. I've been told it's called runner's knee or somesuch.

    I *think* the proper way to avoid future problems like that is by doing
    "straight leg lifts" and "squats" (if I'm wrong, please correct me).

    The problem is... I'm actually one of the very few people that flunked
    P.E. class. I have no idea what is involved in "straight leg lifts"
    and "squats". I've tried googling the subject. Apparently, everyone
    else knows how to do proper "straight leg lifts" and "squats" mean, so
    nobody bothers trying to explain it.

    So if someone would kindly humor me...

    Tags:

  2. Gate runner

    Gate runner Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > So if someone would kindly humor me...

    My only advice is to ignore Doug Freezepop, and Donald Realbitchy,
    because they know nothing about anything having to do with "straight".

  3. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Whenever I try running on a daily basis, my right kneecap gets
    > dislodged. It floats around freely, and there's severe pain behind the
    > kneecap. I've been told it's called runner's knee or somesuch.
    >
    > I *think* the proper way to avoid future problems like that is by doing
    > "straight leg lifts" and "squats" (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
    >
    > The problem is... I'm actually one of the very few people that flunked
    > P.E. class. I have no idea what is involved in "straight leg lifts"
    > and "squats". I've tried googling the subject. Apparently, everyone
    > else knows how to do proper "straight leg lifts" and "squats" mean, so
    > nobody bothers trying to explain it.
    >
    > So if someone would kindly humor me...

    Hi,
    You are correct in thinking exercising the muscles will help. This way
    the muscles will take the more of the load from tendons, etc. so that
    you are less prone to injury. Do not forget about proper warmup and
    cooldown+streching too.

    Please follow the link to find the answers to your questions.

    http://www.sportsmed.buffalo.edu/info/meniscal3.html

    You can find additional exercises in this site, grouped by injury type.
    --
    Burak
    please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply