How to drop about 10-20lbs.?

JoelinNH

Jun 22, 2003
Howdy!

I have been riding consistantly all season, and subscribe to a decent diet, focusing on lower carbs., sugars, and fat grams. However, I would like to lose about another 10lbs. or so, and just can't seem to shake the remaining weight. I am 6' 3", 195lbs.
I ride about 40 miles per day on varying terrain, and do some light aerobic exercise in addition. My day job is physically active and I am always out and about.
Should I focus on my training, or should I look to some type of supplements? Is this a diet problem? Or, maybe a curse of bad genes? Any help is much appreciated. Cheers-Joltron

Your body has adapted to what you're doing, and is in balance. Weekends add a few miles on top of what you did for mileage on last weekend's ride. Get some oat bran tablets, take 3 with each meal.

Sensible diet and exercise are the only non-fad ways of losing weight, anything else is just cylical versions of the same diets. Don't lower carbs, just lower refined carbs (ie. sugars), as you can eat more that way. Also, alcohol has lots of energy in it.

At the end of the day it;s just an energy balance. At the risk of abuse and accustaion of being rascist, American restaurants tend to serve much bigger meal sizes than the rest of the Western world, so you might want to look at cutting down the volume as well if you can't ride more.

1lb of body fat contains 3500 kcals (roughly), if you eat 3500 kcals less than you use you will lose 1lb of body fat!

Its best to acheive this through exercise and diet. Eat 500 kcals less a day (this is only a small amount!) and exercise 500 kcals longer (30 minutes of hard riding) and over a week you will have used 1000 kcals more than consumbed each day ~ 2 lbs a week.

Most diet programs (e.g. slim fast, weight watchers) work on 1200 kcal a day, which for most people (non exercising) give them the 1000 kcal defecit they need to lose 2lbs of weight.

Try frontloading your carbohydrates also. Body buildings have used this technique for years. Eat your complex carbs early in the day (usually before 3pm), while avoiding them, along with high glycemic foods in the evenings. For supper try eating a salad along with some protein (lean chicken or beef). Then maybe drink a protein shake at bedtime. Your body will burn through and not hold on to these carbs at night, when you burn the most fat.

Any diet for bodybuilders is useless for cyclists. The demands are completely different - they want to look good, by buklding muscle. We just strive for aerobic efficiency and minimal weight.

And your gastrointestinal system doesn't have a clock. The reason that people are told to eat protein at night is because they're also told to weigh themselves in the morning. And if you don't eat carbs, then you use up som glycogen, which has associated water. So you weigh less in the morning, but "put on" weight when you drink water or eat anything with carbohydrates.

Bodybuilders have also used saunas as a way of getting fully dehydrated before an event for years. I don't think this has much value for cycling either.

Originally posted by Shabby
At the risk of abuse and accustaion of being rascist, American restaurants tend to serve much bigger meal sizes than the rest of the Western world

You BIGOT! You Cultural FASCIST! How dare you disparage the 'down home' serving sizes of Merkin Cuisine!

LOL... we're a buncha fat@sses, but the rest of ya are catching up!

well I will start with 2LAP idea, tray to keep a registry of what you eat weakly, all you eat, by the end od the week count the calorie intake you did and modify you diet to low it a little, and excersie a little more. Also eat more fruits like orange, peachs, pears, strawberries or better say, simple carbs... the water is very important you know it already.

I'm getting on diet bye octuber 15th when the bike seasson starts to go down, and my plan is 10 kg less (about 23lbs).

I agree with the above post that your body has adapted to your diet and activity levels. Depending on your age, you're in for a lot of frustration if you keep changing your calorie intake in order to lose weight. I love biking, but hitting the gym for strength training for 2 or 3 days a week made a huge difference for me. No amount of biking was helping me shed excess weight. As I approached thirty, I was getting a gut even though I was biking like crazy. But when you start working other (relatively dormant) muscle groups, you'll be shocked at how fast those ten pounds will come off. Although 195 and 6'3" sounds like a good weight to me. Eat smart, but eat what you want, and try pumping a little iron.

Originally posted by JoelinNH
Howdy!

I have been riding consistantly all season, and subscribe to a decent diet, focusing on lower carbs., sugars, and fat grams. However, I would like to lose about another 10lbs. or so, and just can't seem to shake the remaining weight. I am 6' 3", 195lbs.
I ride about 40 miles per day on varying terrain, and do some light aerobic exercise in addition. My day job is physically active and I am always out and about.
Should I focus on my training, or should I look to some type of supplements? Is this a diet problem? Or, maybe a curse of bad genes? Any help is much appreciated. Cheers-Joltron
[p]
You need to cut back on the aerobic (100 miles a week - try to pick steeper routes) and add 3X/week weight training.
[p]
I'm assuming you wanna drop 10-15 lbs of FAT not just "weight".