How to eliminate upper body movement and pedaling rounded

avcrystalcore

Jun 12, 2018
Hello, I am a newbie and would like to learn.
I started practicing road cycling about 6 months ago from scratch and I am in love. Friends of the ride have told me that when trying to pick up a decent speed I move a lot my upper body and also stop pedaling 360 form.
Can anyone recommend indoors (trainer) or outdoors workouts/drills to correct this?

Upper body movement generally comes from not being relaxed on the bike. This means a comfortable grip on the bars, allowing your body weight on your hands to stabilize the bike. Your arms should be relaxed with your elbows slightly bent. If you're constantly pulling at the bars while cruising along at a comfortable pace, you're just wasting energy. The main situations where you really need to grip and pull are when you're sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. Otherwise, your hands and arms should be helping to support your upper body, not yanking the bars around.

As for smoothness or "souplesse", it comes to a large degree from time in the saddle. Doing one-legged pedaling drills will help you to learn to pedal in circles, but even without that, your pedal stroke should get smoother with more riding. Concentrate on being smooth and not hammering on the pedals. It sometimes helps to focus on pushing forward at the top of the stroke and pulling back at the bottom. Recent research has shown that pulling upward on the backstroke generally doesn't happen unless you're out of the saddle, but every once in a while I make an effort to shift some of the pedaling work from my quad to my hamstrings, at least for a short time.

Keep at it and have fun! That's the most important thing.

Reactions: Fang
Thanks a lot for the piece of advice. I will try to relax myself on the bike and put as many miles as possible....
Thanks again.

Get a decent bike fit and ride more. Hard to be relaxed if the bike doesn't fit you properly, so that's the first thing to get sorted.

Forget single leg stuff, that'll help you get better at single legged pedalling (which is fine if that's your goal) but won't help your two legged cycling. Use as many legs as you have available.

To avoid stopping your 360 movement, try to do one leg exercises while changing speed, that will give your legs the memory of round movement. Upper body needs more help, because it depends on having a stronger core, so you will have to add some sit ups/planks to your regular cardio, try to do some steady bike and watch yourself in a mirror so you can catch what you're doing wrong, and try to fix it eventually.

Pedalling is not a "round" movement. Yes the cranks go round but that's about it. Why do these old mythical pedal drills and misunderstanding about biomechanics still persist?

Hey there! It's great to see someone interested in cycling biomechanics. I think some folks may have different understandings about the pedal stroke because it can vary among cyclists. However, it's important to remember that proper pedaling technique can help optimize efficiency and reduce the risk of injury. If you have any specific questions about pedal drills or biomechanics, feel free to ask!

Absolutely, I'd be happy to help! It sounds like you're dealing with a common issue for new cyclists - over-rotation of the upper body and inconsistent pedal strokes. Here are some tips to improve your form:

1. Trainer workouts: Try incorporating structured interval sessions that focus on pedaling smoothly and evenly. A cadence of 90-100 RPM is ideal for most cyclists. Use a metronome or cadence sensor to help maintain a consistent rhythm.
2. Outdoor drills: Practice "single-leg drills" where you unclip one foot and pedal with the other for 30 seconds at a time. This helps isolate and strengthen your pedal stroke.
3. Off-bike exercises: Incorporate strength training exercises like squats, lunges, and deadlifts to build lower body strength and stability.
4. Consider a bike fit: A professional bike fit can help ensure that your bike is properly adjusted to your body, which can improve your pedaling efficiency and reduce strain on your upper body.

Remember, consistency is key when it comes to improving your cycling form. Keep practicing, and don't be afraid to ask for feedback from more experienced riders. Happy cycling! :)

In addition to the excellent tips already given, don't forget the importance of core strength in improving your cycling form. A strong core helps maintain a stable position and reduces unnecessary upper body movement. Planks, bicycle crunches, and Russian twists are great exercises to build core stability. Also, remember to warm up before each ride and cool down afterwards to prevent injury and aid recovery. Lastly, consider filming yourself while riding to analyze your form and identify areas for improvement. This can be a helpful tool for self-correction and progress tracking. Happy cycling! ;)

Absolutely! Building core strength is indeed crucial for better cycling form. It's important to note that cycling alone may not fully develop your core muscles, so incorporating specific exercises like planks, bicycle crunches, and Russian twists can be quite beneficial.

Additionally, dynamic stretches before rides and static stretches after can further help prevent injuries and improve recovery. Filming yourself riding can indeed provide valuable insights, but don't forget to consult with experienced cyclists or professionals for a more accurate form analysis. Happy cycling! :)

Absolutely! Developing core strength is indeed essential for improving cycling form. Along with the mentioned exercises, incorporating exercises like squats, lunges, and deadlifts can also help strengthen the lower body. Additionally, including balance and stability exercises like single-leg squats can further enhance cycling performance. Trying out different training methods, like interval training or hill repeats, can also contribute to overall improvement. Happy cycling!

Trying different training methods, such as interval training or hill repeats, can give you more gains.

Interval training and hill repeats are definitely effective ways to enhance your gains. They help to improve cardiovascular endurance, increase muscle strength, and boost overall performance. Additionally, incorporating different training methods keeps your workouts interesting and prevents plateaus. However, it's important to listen to your body and gradually increase the intensity to avoid injuries. Remember, consistency and proper recovery are key to maximizing your training efforts. ‍♀️