How to Find a Physical Therapist for Posture

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Pete, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I'd like to see a therapist that will help my posture, as I feel it is attributing to my lower
    back pain.

    As I have more than a couple physical therapists in my area, what kind of questions should I ask to
    find the right person to help me with this. I'd like to find someone that will be more active than
    just setting me up with a list of generic back exercises to do.

    Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

    Thanks!

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. Ronnie H

    Ronnie H Guest

    Why not have a look at the Alexander Technique?
    http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

    Regards, Ronnie H
    --
    Social Policy Bonds:
    Policy as if outcomes mattered
    Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to see a therapist that will help my posture, as I feel it is
    > attributing to my lower back pain.
    >
    > As I have more than a couple physical therapists in my area, what kind
    > of questions should I ask to find the right person to help me with
    > this. I'd like to find someone that will be more active than just
    > setting me up with a list of generic back exercises to do.
    >
    > Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Pete

  3. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Pete wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I'd like to see a therapist that will help my posture, as I feel it is attributing to my lower
    >back pain.
    >
    >As I have more than a couple physical therapists in my area, what kind of questions should I ask to
    >find the right person to help me with this. I'd like to find someone that will be more active than
    >just setting me up with a list of generic back exercises to do.
    >
    >Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Pete

    My posture has always been bad. In 1986, had back pain so bad that I thought I would end up in
    disability retirement.

    The Physical Therapist "straightened me out" with a list of "simple exercises"

    The exercises were not easy. For a while, I performed them by:

    a. Going to the fitness center at 10 pm, taking an ibuprofen
    b. Doing the exercises and a bit more
    c. Popping an ibuprofen
    d. Going home, popping an OTC sleeping pill

    Then, one night, I walked out feeling better than when I walked in. It got better rapidly
    after that.

    Now, I find that if I do a bare minimum of the exercises, I can keep the problem away. However, six
    months without exercises and the pain starts to come back.

    You actually want to ask the questions of folks "around town". The good therapists have a reputation
    which you can dig out if you try hard enough. Try to get into the Hospital gossip loop somehow. That
    loop is a goldmine when you are looking for medical help.

    Regards Old Al (retired since 2000)