How to find the right CFS doctor

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Steve, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to find a good doctor in the midwest who is skilled in
    treating Chronic fatigue. I have seen one Oseopath here in minnesota
    and we ran every test under the sun with no conclusions.

    I have read the book 'The alternative medicine guide's Chronic
    Fatigue, Fibromyalgia....' I get the impression that each doctor has a
    prefered approach (viral, thyroid, mercury, etc). Is this the
    experience of people here? Who are the recognized leaders in treating
    this condition?

    Thanks for all help.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > I have read the book 'The alternative medicine guide's Chronic
    > Fatigue, Fibromyalgia....' I get the impression that each doctor has a
    > prefered approach (viral, thyroid, mercury, etc). Is this the
    > experience of people here? Who are the recognized leaders in treating
    > this condition?

    Correct, theories abound as to likely causes of CFS,
    and every alternative practitioner you are likely to
    encounter will have their own take on it.

    You've already mentioned a few popular theories.
    A couple you haven't mentioned are:

    a) Chronic Lyme Disease -- you have a subclinical
    chronic infection with the Lyme parasite, but not so
    severe as to be easily diagnosed by conventional
    medicine or conclusively demonstrated by conventional
    medical tests. It may be diagnosable with less reliable
    tests that aren't recognized as having diagnostic value
    by conventional medicine.

    b) Occult Carbon Monoxide Poisoning -- you are
    being poisoned by excessive carbon monoxide in
    your environment, but at a subacute level not easily
    diagnosed by conventional medicine. If the poisoning
    is still occuring, it should be detectable with a carbon
    monoxide detector that provides a numerical readout
    (the Nighthawk from Kidde is popular for this purpose).
    BUT -- it is possible the carbon monoxide exposure
    took place quite some time ago (simultaneous or previous
    to the onset of your symptoms), and you are feeling the
    aftereffects of neurological damage done by the exposure
    after the exposure has passed. This is a condition recognized
    by conventional medical science, but it is difficult to diagnose
    while the patient is alive (before brain sections can be taken),
    and it is likely to be overdiagnosed by alternative practitioners.

    It has been proposed in the conventional medical literature
    that CFS, multiple chemical sensitivity, and chronic Lyme
    disease are different forms of the same disease. The proponents
    of this view tend to believe these complaints are psychiatric
    in origin, rather than having a physiological cause.

  3. BL 1204

    BL 1204 Guest

    I think you need to go to the chronic fatigue newsgroup. Better yet go through
    the old posts of the group

    alt.med.cfs

    on a Google Groups search. The good posts and info there go back years.

    Look for books by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, which gives a good overview.

    My personal take on it is that a lot of it is secondary or tertiary
    hypothyroidism. You could do a search for Broda Barnes Foundation and see
    what you think (but I don't think I would pay for their expensive urine tests,
    just try to get a doctor's name).

    If allergies are a problem at all, try NAET.

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL