How to find the right CFS doctor

Steve

Guest
Hello,

I would like to find a good doctor in the midwest who is skilled in
treating Chronic fatigue. I have seen one Oseopath here in minnesota
and we ran every test under the sun with no conclusions.

I have read the book 'The alternative medicine guide's Chronic
Fatigue, Fibromyalgia....' I get the impression that each doctor has a
prefered approach (viral, thyroid, mercury, etc). Is this the
experience of people here? Who are the recognized leaders in treating
this condition?

Thanks for all help.

Steve wrote:

> I have read the book 'The alternative medicine guide's Chronic
> Fatigue, Fibromyalgia....' I get the impression that each doctor has a
> prefered approach (viral, thyroid, mercury, etc). Is this the
> experience of people here? Who are the recognized leaders in treating
> this condition?

Correct, theories abound as to likely causes of CFS,
and every alternative practitioner you are likely to
encounter will have their own take on it.

You've already mentioned a few popular theories.
A couple you haven't mentioned are:

a) Chronic Lyme Disease -- you have a subclinical
chronic infection with the Lyme parasite, but not so
severe as to be easily diagnosed by conventional
medicine or conclusively demonstrated by conventional
medical tests. It may be diagnosable with less reliable
tests that aren't recognized as having diagnostic value
by conventional medicine.

b) Occult Carbon Monoxide Poisoning -- you are
being poisoned by excessive carbon monoxide in
your environment, but at a subacute level not easily
diagnosed by conventional medicine. If the poisoning
is still occuring, it should be detectable with a carbon
monoxide detector that provides a numerical readout
(the Nighthawk from Kidde is popular for this purpose).
BUT -- it is possible the carbon monoxide exposure
took place quite some time ago (simultaneous or previous
to the onset of your symptoms), and you are feeling the
aftereffects of neurological damage done by the exposure
after the exposure has passed. This is a condition recognized
by conventional medical science, but it is difficult to diagnose
while the patient is alive (before brain sections can be taken),
and it is likely to be overdiagnosed by alternative practitioners.

It has been proposed in the conventional medical literature
that CFS, multiple chemical sensitivity, and chronic Lyme
disease are different forms of the same disease. The proponents
of this view tend to believe these complaints are psychiatric
in origin, rather than having a physiological cause.

I think you need to go to the chronic fatigue newsgroup. Better yet go through
the old posts of the group

alt.med.cfs

on a Google Groups search. The good posts and info there go back years.

Look for books by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, which gives a good overview.

My personal take on it is that a lot of it is secondary or tertiary
hypothyroidism. You could do a search for Broda Barnes Foundation and see
what you think (but I don't think I would pay for their expensive urine tests,
just try to get a doctor's name).

If allergies are a problem at all, try NAET.

BL

"As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

"I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL