How to find the right Road Bike frame geometry for my body type...

Soparklion

Aug 11, 2005
I'm 36yo man who has been cycling for 12 years. I've accomplished a lot in triathlon (2x IM, Wisc '05, Kona '06) and while I don't race my bicycle, I do appreciate performance.

I am interested in getting advice for what frame would fit me, I'm 6'0" tall with a 33" inseam - that gives me longer legs an a shorter torso than most people my height. It means that I'm often stretching my lower back or using a short stem with some rise to make my bike fit me.

Is there a brand that anyone would suggest? I find test rides to be difficult to assess when I don't have any I've talked to different people at my local bike shops and they all have different opinions... I guess that now I'd like differing opinions from people on the internet.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Believe it or not, the relation of your leg length to total body height is pretty average. Now if your leg length was getting longer than 34, you'd be getting into spider monkey territory; or shorter than 32, stumpy.

F'rinstance, I'm about your height with 35" legs and long arms, which is just breaking into outlier territory, but there are many frames between 56 and 59 that I can get comfortable on without being dramatic with stem and seat post length. I know people, some of them guys, whose legs are more than 50% of their height. They're the ones who need to shop long and carefully or start looking a custom.

For the most part you should probably be looking at 56 and 57 cm frames. Some will be longer, lower, taller, shorter, or in combinations of the two. Adaptations for your final fit will be based on the frame's proclivities, your posture, and what makes you comfortable.