How to fit Carbon forks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Big Al, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Big Al

    Big Al Guest

    I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    and hopefully better.
    Could someone take me through the process of how to remove and replace
    the forks as I dont want to have to take it to my local bike shop
    again!!!

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Big Al" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    > Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    > but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    > and hopefully better.
    > Could someone take me through the process of how to remove and replace
    > the forks as I dont want to have to take it to my local bike shop
    > again!!!

    Assuming it's a threadless fork you're replacing, the process goes
    something like:

    -take off wheel
    -remove front brake from fork, try not to let it hit the frame
    -remove the top cap from the fork
    -loosen the stem bolts holding it to the fork. At this point, the fork
    will be able to fall out of the head tube, probably taking the lower
    headset bearings with it. Try not to lose any bearings
    -with the stem removed from the fork, the handlebars should probably be
    tied up so they're not hanging from the control cables or hitting the
    bike. Oh yeah, and any headset spacers just fell on the ground. Pick
    them up.
    -If you don't have a new crown race, you'll need to remove the old one
    from the old fork. there's a few expensive tools that do this job well.
    There's a few cheap bodge-methods that tend to mark up the old fork, and
    sometimes not work at all.
    -cut the

  3. philcycles

    philcycles Guest

    Big Al wrote:
    > I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    > Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    > but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    > and hopefully better.
    > Could someone take me through the process of how to remove and replace
    > the forks as I dont want to have to take it to my local bike shop
    > again!!!

    You'd be better off to ride more but absent that there are so many ways
    to do this incorrectly that I'd suggest you find a shop you like and
    buy it there. They'll probably install it free or for a nominal sum. Or
    buy Leonard Zinn's book.But remember, do it wrong and you may end up
    sliding down the road face down.
    Phil Brown

  4. Josh Hassol

    Josh Hassol Guest

    Big Al wrote:
    > I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    > Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    > but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    > and hopefully better.
    > Could someone take me through the process of how to remove and replace
    > the forks as I dont want to have to take it to my local bike shop
    > again!!!

    I don't think you'll notice enough difference in the ride quality to
    justify the cost. If you really want to change the forks and stem,
    then I agree with the other post that, since you are "useless" at the
    mechanical aspects, you should not do this yourself. It is a very real
    crash hazard if it is done incorrectly.

    Josh

  5. Big Al wrote:
    > I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    > Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    > but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    > and hopefully better.
    > Could someone take me through the process of how to remove and replace
    > the forks as I dont want to have to take it to my local bike shop
    > again!!!

    The only reason I can think of that would make swapping forks
    worthwhile is if you get some enjoyment out of mechanical puttering. If
    your only motivation in doing it yourself is to save money and you are
    not mechanically inclined, find someone to do it for you who likes that
    sort of thing. Fork swapping and headset issues can require special
    tools that only a shop or a serious hobbyist would have, though.

    I wouldn't expect the swap to have any meaningful effect anyway, so I
    would recommend not bothering, but that' just my $0.02.

    Joseph

  6. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Get Zinn's or Barnette's book.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    news:[email protected]

  7. Big Al wrote:
    > I love cycling yet when it come to the mechanics of it all im useless.
    > Ive got a Specialized Allez 2001 road bike with an a1 aluminium frame
    > but am considering buying caron forks and a carbon stem to make lighter
    > and hopefully better.

    I'm sure others will take you thru the procedures...and it'll be
    ligher, but that's about all...not necessarily 'better'. I would stay
    away from carbon stems. NOT as light as a Ritchey Axis...and not as
    strong either.