How to fix an axle to a wheel, like a tricycle?

Jenny Brien wrote:
> There are uprght trikes with two wheels at the fron[t], which makes a lot
> more sense to me. http://www.roman-road.co.uk

Recumbent trikes make a lot more sense than upright trikes to me.
Lowering the center of gravity has significant benefit on a multi-track
vehicle - a tadpole trike with a low seat handles like a go-cart. :)

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

JeffWills wrote:
> ...since the
> brake was at the "hub" before the differential, braking while cornering
> hard would simply lock up the inside wheel and not apply any braking
> force to the ground. This was only a problem for us shop rats- I can't
> imagine Granny wailing through a high-G corner.

I remember riding Grandma's trike a few decades back. You can't do
high-g corners on those things; they're too tippy. Ask me how I know. ;-)

Wind sails on Grandma's trike: fun but useless. All was fun until the
frame
developed a crack...

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

dvt wrote:

> Wind sails on Grandma's trike: fun but useless. All was fun until the
> frame
> developed a crack...

This'll put the wind in Granny's skirts:
http://www.pterosail.com/

Jeff

JeffWills wrote:
> dvt wrote:
> >
> > Wind sails on Grandma's trike: fun but useless. All was fun until the
> > frame
> > developed a crack...
> >

> This'll put the wind in Granny's skirts:
> http://www.pterosail.com/

Heck, RANS was building sail-trikes over three (3) decades ago:
<http://www.ransbikes.com/early%20years.htm>.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> JeffWills wrote:
>> dvt wrote:
>>> Wind sails on Grandma's trike: fun but useless. All was fun until the
>>> frame
>>> developed a crack...
>>>

>> This'll put the wind in Granny's skirts:
>> http://www.pterosail.com/

Yikes! I'll have to look at that closer when I have more time.

> Heck, RANS was building sail-trikes over three (3) decades ago:
> <http://www.ransbikes.com/early%20years.htm>.

About the same time we were doing it, I suppose. Let's see... we were
doing it sometime in the late 70s... I guess they beat us to it. And
theirs looks a whole lot better than ours did. And I can't imagine this
wasn't done at least 50 years before then.

--

JeffWills wrote:
> This'll put the wind in Granny's skirts: http://www.pterosail.com/

First thoughts: Atrocious web site design. Several pieces overlay when
viewed with Firefox, and the fonts are minuscule when viewed in Internet
Exploder. One of the videos crashed each of these browsers.

The vehicle is kind of interesting, even though it doesn't look like a
"serious" vehicle. There are far too many gadgets, googaws, and
protruding bits that would be far too easy to break. The
sail is said to be about 13.5' high; who has a garage to fit that thing?
And the sail is right in front of the operator, obstructing his view. Scary.

All that said, I think it would be fun to pilot one of those for a while.