How to fix slipping rear skewer?

Bruni

Guest
Older shimano skewers were all steel with teeth. You didn't mention, but
this is a good match with horiz. DO's.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put. I've got it tightened
> down to the point where I can barely close it. Going up a hill, if I get
> out of the saddle, it slips. I've taken the time to make sure there's no
> oil and/or grease on the dropouts or the skewer itself, but it just won't
> grab tight.
>
> Is there maybe another brand of skewer that would hold better? I seem to
> recall Sheldon B. saying that the stock Shimano ones hold the best, but

the

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:50:05 +0000, HardwareLust wrote:

> My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put. I've got it tightened
> down to the point where I can barely close it. Going up a hill, if I get
> out of the saddle, it slips. I've taken the time to make sure there's no
> oil and/or grease on the dropouts or the skewer itself, but it just won't
> grab tight.
>
> Is there maybe another brand of skewer that would hold better? I seem to
> recall Sheldon B. saying that the stock Shimano ones hold the best, but the
> one I have isn't working very well. Maybe I should just buy a new another
> one and try it? Should I maybe try a DA skewer or a 105 skewer?

I don't believe it's the skewer at all. In order for a quick release to
work properly, the axle needs to not protrude all the way through the
dropout. My guess is that your axle is not quite centered, and one side,
the one that slips, sticks too far out.

Shimano QR's are indeed very good, all of them. It might be that yours is
malfunctioning, or maybe the spring is interfering, but the first thing to
look at is the axle.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

David L. Johnson wrote:

> I don't believe it's the skewer at all. In order for a quick release
> to work properly, the axle needs to not protrude all the way through
> the dropout. My guess is that your axle is not quite centered, and
> one side, the one that slips, sticks too far out.
>
> Shimano QR's are indeed very good, all of them. It might be that
> yours is malfunctioning, or maybe the spring is interfering, but the
> first thing to look at is the axle.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not thought of that. Soon as I get
home tonight, I'm going to look for this.

Regards,
H.

Hardwarelust wrote:
> My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put. I've got it tightened
> down to the point where I can barely close it. Thanks!
> H.

I'm not completely sure what your attempting to do here, but I'll guess
your trying to tighten/close your rear skewer with out having it
completely seated in the rear drop-outs. (If this is the case, it will
never stay were you want it, nor was it designed to). The rear wheel
properly installed should be completely seated in the rear drop-outs.

Secondly, you definitly should not have to crank down on a skewer to
close it... (You can place an excess load on your bearings/cones in
the process).

--

Cipher wrote:
> I'm not completely sure what your attempting to do here, but I'll
> guess your trying to tighten/close your rear skewer with out having it
> completely seated in the rear drop-outs. (If this is the case, it will
> never stay were you want it, nor was it designed to). The rear wheel
> properly installed should be completely seated in the rear drop-outs.
>
> Secondly, you definitly should not have to crank down on a skewer to
> close it... (You can place an excess load on your bearings/cones in
> the process).

No, it's definitely seated completely in the rear dropout.

According to what I've read, I understand that the skewer should be just
tight enough so that it leaves a mark on your hand when you close it.

In article <[email protected]>,
HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
>Cipher wrote:
>> I'm not completely sure what your attempting to do here, but I'll
>> guess your trying to tighten/close your rear skewer with out having it
>> completely seated in the rear drop-outs. (If this is the case, it will
>> never stay were you want it, nor was it designed to). The rear wheel
>> properly installed should be completely seated in the rear drop-outs.
>>
>> Secondly, you definitly should not have to crank down on a skewer to
>> close it... (You can place an excess load on your bearings/cones in
>> the process).

>No, it's definitely seated completely in the rear dropout.
>
>According to what I've read, I understand that the skewer should be just
>tight enough so that it leaves a mark on your hand when you close it.

That rule of thumb will result in some people overtightening
the skewer.

It is possible to burst the head of the skewer by overtightening,
which completely destroys it. How much it can handle depends a lot
on the design, it varies by manufacturer & model.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:03:02 GMT, [email protected]
(Paul Southworth) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>HardwareLust <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Cipher wrote:
>>> I'm not completely sure what your attempting to do here, but I'll
>>> guess your trying to tighten/close your rear skewer with out having it
>>> completely seated in the rear drop-outs. (If this is the case, it will
>>> never stay were you want it, nor was it designed to). The rear wheel
>>> properly installed should be completely seated in the rear drop-outs.
>>>
>>> Secondly, you definitly should not have to crank down on a skewer to
>>> close it... (You can place an excess load on your bearings/cones in
>>> the process).

>>No, it's definitely seated completely in the rear dropout.
>>
>>According to what I've read, I understand that the skewer should be just
>>tight enough so that it leaves a mark on your hand when you close it.

>That rule of thumb will result in some people overtightening
>the skewer.
>
>It is possible to burst the head of the skewer by overtightening,
>which completely destroys it. How much it can handle depends a lot
>on the design, it varies by manufacturer & model.

David is likely right... this problem also appears with skinny
drop-outs. One fix - add a washer on the slippy side - Ъ×

also could be that the "teeth" on the skewer faces are worn so they
will no longer dig in and grab the dropouts firmly.

charlie

In article <[email protected]>,
"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put. I've got it tightened
>down to the point where I can barely close it. Going up a hill, if I get
>out of the saddle, it slips. I've taken the time to make sure there's no
>oil and/or grease on the dropouts or the skewer itself, but it just won't
>grab tight.

The cam of the quick release might need a drop of oil to prevent
binding when closing it. I had this problem once and saw that after
oiling, the lever moved a bit closer to the frame when closing the quick
release, and after that everything was fine.

--
Ned Mantei
Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

Bruni wrote:

> Older shimano skewers were all steel with teeth. You didn't mention, but
> this is a good match with horiz. DO's.

I've used Shimano steel, alloy and Control Tech allen key skewers on my
racing bike with horiz. dropouts. None of them slipped. There's
something not quite right with the OP's hub.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:32:59 -0400, Charles Beristain
<[email protected]> wrote:

>also could be that the "teeth" on the skewer faces are worn so they
>will no longer dig in and grab the dropouts firmly.
>
>charlie

My Greg Lemond TI GL had horizontal, titanium dropouts. Only the
steel Shimano or Campy QR skewers were effective. Any alloy skewer
would not hold.

David L. Johnson writes:

>> My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put. I've got it
>> tightened down to the point where I can barely close it. Going up
>> a hill, if I get out of the saddle, it slips. I've taken the time
>> to make sure there's no oil and/or grease on the dropouts or the
>> skewer itself, but it just won't grab tight.

>> Is there maybe another brand of skewer that would hold better? I
>> seem to recall Sheldon B. saying that the stock Shimano ones hold
>> the best, but the one I have isn't working very well. Maybe I
>> should just buy a new another one and try it? Should I maybe try a
>> DA skewer or a 105 skewer?

> I don't believe it's the skewer at all. In order for a quick
> release to work properly, the axle needs to not protrude all the way
> through the dropout. My guess is that your axle is not quite
> centered, and one side, the one that slips, sticks too far out.

If the axle is too long (or dropouts too thin) the QR will bottom on
the axle and no manner of tightening will increase holding force on
the dropout. By the description, this sounds like the cause.
Besides, QR skewers serve only to press dropouts against the knurled
axle lock nuts, rather than doing any wheel positioning. QR skewer
clearance is large enough to make lateral displacement too large for
any axle positioning.

> Shimano QR's are good, all of them. It might be that yours is
> malfunctioning, or maybe the spring is interfering, but the first
> thing to look at is the axle.

It also make a difference what kind of brake is used?

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

I've seen people having problems with 6/4 Ti dropouts. Very hard.
Tough for a QR to get a proper "bite."
If the Bike is steel or Al, the answer is probably one of the above.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:43:07 -0700, Bill K. wrote:

> I've seen people having problems with 6/4 Ti dropouts. Very hard.
> Tough for a QR to get a proper "bite."
> If the Bike is steel or Al, the answer is probably one of the above.

Odd that steel would not show the same problem, since it is harder than
titanium. Actually, I think in either case that it is an axle that is a
bit too long. Many 6/4 ti dropouts are very thin, which is more likely to
produce this problem.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're
_`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly Tomlin
(_)/ (_) |

Ned Mantei wrote:
> The cam of the quick release might need a drop of oil to prevent
> binding when closing it.

I second that suggestion. Maybe flush it out with a bit of WD40, let it
dry overnight, then add a drop of oil. I've only seen this problem with
MTBs used in yucky conditions and minimal maintenance, so it seems like
an unlikely culprit in this case. But it can't hurt to try.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

In article <[email protected]>, dvt <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>My rear skewer (2002 Ultegra) refuses to stay put.

>Ned Mantei wrote:
>> The cam of the quick release might need a drop of oil to prevent
>> binding when closing it.

>I second that suggestion. Maybe flush it out with a bit of WD40, let it
>dry overnight, then add a drop of oil. I've only seen this problem with
>MTBs used in yucky conditions and minimal maintenance, so it seems like
>an unlikely culprit in this case. But it can't hurt to try.

In my case the skewer was almost new. I doubt that the manufacturer
(Sachs) had ever applied oil. Incidentally, this was a 1997 Sachs Quarz
hub, which I ordered on a new bike. It seemed a way to avoid having to
disassemble, clean, and regrease the hubs every year. You may know about
how Shimano rear hubs are held together with a hollow bolt that takes a
10 mm Allen wrench. It turned out that the Sachs hub of 1997 used a
press fit! After about 2 years the two halves came apart and I could
never again get them to stay together. Now have an LX hub in back. On
the other hand, the front Sachs hub still works fine despite 7 years
and ca. 25,000 km without servicing.