How to fix STI lever???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have a right side Shimano 105 8 speed lever that's messed up. While doing
    maintenance, the cable somehow got "jammed" in the shifter and won't come
    out. I removed the face bolt and the face and spring popped off. Is it
    worth my while to try and service it or is it toast? Thanks - Bill
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a right side Shimano 105 8 speed lever that's messed up. While

    doing
    > maintenance, the cable somehow got "jammed" in the shifter and won't come
    > out. I removed the face bolt and the face and spring popped off. Is it
    > worth my while to try and service it or is it toast? Thanks - Bill
    > [email protected]

    Try one of these fixes:

    easiest WD40 flush:
    http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm

    Steve Alkire's 105/8spd disassembly/assembly
    http://www.cyclingforum.com/features/downloads/STIdisDetail.doc

    Bill Cotton's STI repair:
    http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

    If none of the above work, you're out of luck!

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I have a right side Shimano 105 8 speed lever that's messed up. While doing
    > maintenance, the cable somehow got "jammed" in the shifter and won't come
    > out. I removed the face bolt and the face and spring popped off. Is it
    > worth my while to try and service it or is it toast? Thanks - Bill

    We have a sure cure for STi problems:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergokit.html

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. bildom-<< I have a right side Shimano 105 8 speed lever that's messed up.
    While doing
    maintenance, the cable somehow got "jammed" in the shifter and won't come
    out. I removed the face bolt and the face and spring popped off. Is it
    worth my while to try and service it or is it toast? >><BR><BR>

    These things rival spring loaded watches in their complexity. If you take too
    much apart, you will not get it back together-

    Campagnolo-with a rear der of the same manufacturer will eliminate this
    problem.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Imagine if I had actually tried to play the troll.