How to free peddles screwed into wrong crank?



C

Colin Murphy

Guest
Bought a bike off Ebay; advertised as having 'dodgy peddles' and needing
a little work. When ever I've come across 'dodgy peddles' they've been
screwed into the wrong crank and this is the case here, but much worse
than I've ever seen. I am having a real struggle to get the peddles out
of the cranks just to see how much damage has been done.

Does anyone have any tricks that I might put to use to stop these
opposing threads fighting each other?

The 'little work', btw, was a loose headset.

--
The email address, should you need it, does not need the NOT.
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
Colin Murphy wrote:
> Bought a bike off Ebay; advertised as having 'dodgy peddles' and needing
> a little work. When ever I've come across 'dodgy peddles' they've been
> screwed into the wrong crank and this is the case here, but much worse


Colin,
how about visiting Decathlon (or other bike shop) and just replacing the
crankset? Mey be worth it in terms of blood, sweat and tears.
I have some old MTB cranks that you could have, if I look them out.

The only other thing I could think of would be to bash/bodge or drill
the pedals out and then fill the holes with the spiral stuff that motor
mechanics use to bodge up stripped spark plug holes.
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Colin Murphy
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Bought a bike off Ebay; advertised as having 'dodgy peddles' and needing
> a little work. When ever I've come across 'dodgy peddles' they've been
> screwed into the wrong crank and this is the case here, but much worse
> than I've ever seen. I am having a real struggle to get the peddles out
> of the cranks just to see how much damage has been done.
>
> Does anyone have any tricks that I might put to use to stop these
> opposing threads fighting each other?


The cranks are scrap anyway - you could have them helicoiled but it would
probably cost more than buying a new crankset. If brute force, ignorance,
and the judicious application of extreme heat to the pedals won't
free 'em, bin the pedals too.


--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
; www-html. -- George Lund
 
C

Colin Murphy

Guest
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:59:31 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> Colin Murphy wrote:
>> Bought a bike off Ebay; advertised as having 'dodgy peddles' and
>> needing a little work. When ever I've come across 'dodgy peddles'
>> they've been screwed into the wrong crank and this is the case here,
>> but much worse

>
> how about visiting Decathlon (or other bike shop) and just replacing the
> crankset?


A replacement set of cranks is a definite possibility, but a new set,
even from Decathlon is going to cost the price of the bike already. For
this bike the crank and single chainring come as one component - not that
I'm sure if this make it more or less expensive to replace ;-)

The threads are fighting each other. My feeble brain can't figure out
which is the best way to try and turn the peddle spindle, to go against
the peddle spindle thread or the crank thread. I suspect I might be
closer to getting them to part if I could persuade them to move in the
right direction, away from each other. Oh, for the want of a bench vice.

Freecycle might prove useful for replacements and if I can't save what I
have. This will be my next option.

> The only other thing I could think of would be to bash/bodge or drill
> the pedals out and then fill the holes with the spiral stuff that motor
> mechanics use to bodge up stripped spark plug holes.


At this point I think I would have to admit personal defeat and present
the cranks to my LBS for an estimate. My worry is they know me so well
they're bound to not believe me when I tell them I didn't fit the peddles
this way round in the first place!

--
The email address, should you need it, does not need the NOT.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Colin Murphy wrote:

>
> The threads are fighting each other. My feeble brain can't figure out
> which is the best way to try and turn the peddle spindle, to go against
> the peddle spindle thread or the crank thread. I suspect I might be
> closer to getting them to part if I could persuade them to move in the
> right direction, away from each other. Oh, for the want of a bench vice.
>


The only way to undo them is to reverse the way they went on. The
spindle will have cut itself a thread to run in. Once they are off, use
helicoil inserts to replace the damaged thread.

Tony
 
R

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Colin Murphy
[email protected] says...
> Bought a bike off Ebay; advertised as having 'dodgy peddles' and needing
> a little work. When ever I've come across 'dodgy peddles' they've been
> screwed into the wrong crank and this is the case here, but much worse
> than I've ever seen. I am having a real struggle to get the peddles out
> of the cranks just to see how much damage has been done.
>
> Does anyone have any tricks that I might put to use to stop these
> opposing threads fighting each other?
>

They don't fight each other, just unscrew in the right direction for the
pedal - if it won't come out there's not enough metal left in the crank
for the pedal thread to work against, so the crank is probably scrap.
When fitting a new pedal to a chewed crank, first screw it in from the
back of the crank to clean up the threads. Use thread locking compound
to give the crank a better chance of survival.
 
A

Adrian Godwin

Guest
Colin Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh, for the want of a bench vice.
>


Where are you located ? There might be someone willing to give you a hand.

-adrian
 
J

John Tomlinson

Guest
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:38:41 +0000, Colin Murphy wrote:

> My feeble brain can't figure out
> which is the best way to try and turn the peddle spindle, to go against
> the peddle spindle thread or the crank thread.


For peddles inserted correctly have the crank pointing forward, put the
peddle spanner on the crank pointing backwards and then push down on the
spanner - so all you need to do is the opposite :)

JT
 
C

Colin Murphy

Guest
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:55:36 +0100, Adrian Godwin wrote:

> Colin Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Oh, for the want of a bench vice.
>>
>>

> Where are you located ? There might be someone willing to give you a
> hand.
>

London, NW10. Any offers?

Friendly LBS have taken a glance at them and suggest trying to save the
cranks which are of the square socket/cotter pin type. They suspect that
replacement cranks won't be that easy to come by, so the bottom bracket
would need replacing too.

--
The email address, should you need it, does not need the NOT.
 
C

Colin Murphy

Guest
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:14:27 +0000, John Tomlinson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:38:41 +0000, Colin Murphy wrote:
>
>> My feeble brain [...]

>
> For peddles inserted correctly have the crank pointing forward, put the
> peddle spanner on the crank pointing backwards and then push down on the
> spanner - so all you need to do is the opposite :)


Even if I don't get these cranks fixed, thank you for this piece of
information anyway


--
The email address, should you need it, does not need the NOT.
 
C

Colin Murphy

Guest
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:06:43 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> The cranks are scrap anyway [..]


Possibly, though the person fitting the pedals only managed to get them
in half way before they became too tight to tighten further, so there is
still half, at least, of good thread left in the crank, which friendly
LBS said was a good sign when they gave my problem a cursory glance
yesterday.

Now that I've got some info about which way to be rotating the pedal
spindle I'll go at it with a bit more brute force.

Thanks for all the info sent.

--
The email address, should you need it, does not need the NOT.
 
T

Tim Woodall

Guest
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:38:26 +0000 (UTC),
Colin Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:55:36 +0100, Adrian Godwin wrote:
>
>> Colin Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, for the want of a bench vice.
>>>
>>>

>> Where are you located ? There might be someone willing to give you a
>> hand.
>>

> London, NW10. Any offers?
>
> Friendly LBS have taken a glance at them and suggest trying to save the
> cranks which are of the square socket/cotter pin type. They suspect that
> replacement cranks won't be that easy to come by, so the bottom bracket
> would need replacing too.
>

Not sure what others have said but have you tried removing the pedal
from the spindle and then clamping the spindle in a vice. Then hit the
crank with a big hammer to unscrew it.

I'm in North Watford if you want a vice although finding a convenient
time is likely to be tricky.

Tim.

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t,"
and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/
 

Similar threads

F
Replies
0
Views
919
Next Generation
flaviocsanches
F