How To Gauge The Category Of A Local Climb?

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
The one in question is the ascent from Saratoga to Skyline Rd. 6.5 miles, 2090' climb, 6.6% avg gradient.

Would this be a Cat 1 in Le Tour?

Here's a brief description of the climb, though I'm sure any cyclist in the bay area knows this one.

http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/resources/BA_Climbs.html#H9E

P.S. Having never climbed any gradient for more than 5 mintues (sinning stationary bike is the extent of my "uphill" climbs, which I know aren't the same...I used resistance), but I've biked flats for 1-2 hours at a time. I'm wondering is this way out of my league having never attempted a real climb before?

It would be rated a tough Cat 2 climb. If it were slightly longer or steeper it would be a Cat 1.

Sounds like you should practice on smaller hills first! That's a great goal though! Keep us posted as to how you do.

jhuskey said:
It would be rated a tough Cat 2 climb. If it were slightly longer or steeper it would be a Cat 1.
Good God. Can't imagine how difficult an HC would be. Then again I haven't tackled this climb I referenced, but I imagine it to be tough (for me).

Thanks for the help guys.

MapMyRide.com categorizes climbs. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's free and it probably beats guessing.