How to get a Raleigh Tamland 2 to Australia?

cdoggg

Sep 7, 2014
Hey all,

I live in Australia and i'm trying to source a Raleigh Tamland 2. I am aware that the UK arm of raleigh call this model the Maverick with slightly different specs, but i would rather the USA version, which is called the Tamland 2. The Raleigh importer for Australia do not and will not import this model. I just spoke to them on the telephone. As far as i'm aware, most if not all Raleigh dealers in the USA are not permitted to sell and ship Raleigh bikes overseas. This Tamland 2 is exactly what i'm after and so i'm fairly well devoed i don't seem to be able to get my hands on one.

Does anyone have a solution, ideas or a contact who might be able to help? Would be much appreciated.

cheers
icon_smile.gif

cam.

OK. I'm an inquiring mind ...
  • Just what is the difference between the Tamland 2 and the Maverick? Frame material? Frame geometry? color? decals?
Components? Is it really worth an additional [COLOR=FF00AA]$150+[/color] to have the American version of the bike shipped to you[COLOR=FF00AA]?!?[/color] That is, can't you amend the Maverick's specs with the money which it would cost to have a Tamland 2 shipped to Oz? OR, is it a question of having something which no one else has? If THAT is the case, see if you can get Raleigh to sell you a set of decals OR contact CYCLART & they will probably be able to fabricate decals for you for about $50.

Originally Posted by alfeng

OK. I'm an inquiring mind ...
  • Just what is the difference between the Tamland 2 and the Maverick?
The Tamland 2 is equipped with Ultegra 6800, the Maverick Comp with SRAM Rival 22, and the brake spec is different.

I like double-tap, but for some this is a deal-breaker.

You might be able to get a US dealer to special order the bike and forward it in the original carton to Australia. Up front, you would be responsible for the cost of the bike, the shipping, and any taxes. It will be expensive.

I work for a Raleigh dealer. Let me ask my manager if something like this can be done.

Quote:Originally Posted by oldbobcat .The Tamland 2 is equipped with Ultegra 6800, the Maverick Comp with SRAM Rival 22, and the brake spec is different.

I like double-tap, but for some this is a deal-breaker.

A [COLOR=FF00AA]deal breaker[/COLOR], indeed!!! BTW. Thanks for clarifying the difference ... Of course, I guess that I would get the least expensive "Maverick"/(the "Tamland 1" equivalent if it exists) & swap its shifters for a pair of (dare I say it?) Campagnolo shifters. :big-smile: Actually, if I didn't want-or-need disc brakes (which I don't) then (depending on my budget) I guess I would probably just get a GUNNAR or SURLY frame-and-fork & build it up with the components of MY choice ...

Originally Posted by alfeng
  • Of course, I guess that I would get the least expensive "Maverick"/(the "Tamland 1" equivalent if it exists) & swap its shifters for a pair of (dare I say it?) Campagnolo shifters.
    big-smile.png
Figured as much.

And my idea of a good gravel bike would be a carbon Revenio with fat tires.

Anyhow, Cdoggg, if you're still paying attention, I have some news for you.

Originally Posted by cdoggg
I'm paying attention oldbobcat!!!!
smile.png
Cdoggg, I just sent you a personal message with the information. If you're interested, I'll get you an estimate (store price + sales tax + boxing fee).