How to get fit?

Shakespeare

Guest
I have a 10 mile commute to and from work. On the way I go at a very sedate pace, as there's no
shower available, but on the way home I "go for it" a bit more. Its a fairly hilly route, and not
one that lends itself too much to detours.

I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:

a) Going hell for leather all the way, and arriving absolutely creased in 30 minutes or

b) Aiming for a lower heartrate and effort, and dragging the ride out to 40 minutes (still hilly
remember, so not a doddle!)

Please don't tell me to go twice the distance - I enjoy the ride, but the lure of home is
soooo strong!

Alas there is no easy way and believe me, I do understand the urge to need to get fit ;-)

The best exercise is doing it often and regularly and keeping at it.

Bummer ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Shakespeare <[email protected]> wrote:
: I have a 10 mile commute to and from work. On the way I go at a very sedate pace, as there's no
: shower available, but on the way home I "go for it" a bit more. Its a fairly hilly route, and not
: one that lends itself too much to detours.

: I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:

Ride to work very steadily, the short way, keep the effort low. Drink some tea/coffee before you
leave home but have breakfast at work.

On the way home, if you want speed, then don't go "hell for leather" from the start. Do 10 mins
easy, 10 mins very very very hard, 10 mins easy. Stop. Only do this every other day.

Arthur

Lord Lester

I agree with Both. The best way to loose weight is to burn fat. Fat is burned at a lower heart rate.
For example walking steady is fat burning, running fast is carbohydrate burning.

So your steady ride to work will burn fat and the ride home will burn Carbo's, you won't really
loose much weight going home, but it is good for your rounded fitness.

The secret is regularity and consistancy. FACT = If you keep 20 miles a day you'll not have much fat
to play with in 6 months time. Just make sure you drink plenty of fluid on the journey. I really
wouldn't worry too much about when you eat, do what you feel comfortable with, remember if you enjoy
it you'll keep doing it, and keeping doing it is the answer.

Goodluck

Tommy

Shakespeare wrote:
> I have a 10 mile commute to and from work. On the way I go at a very sedate pace, as there's no
> shower available, but on the way home I "go for it" a bit more. Its a fairly hilly route, and not
> one that lends itself too much to detours.
>
> I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:
>
> a) Going hell for leather all the way, and arriving absolutely creased in 30 minutes or
>
> b) Aiming for a lower heartrate and effort, and dragging the ride out to 40 minutes (still hilly
> remember, so not a doddle!)
>
> Please don't tell me to go twice the distance - I enjoy the ride, but the lure of home is
> soooo strong!

Searcg Google for heart rate monitor sites - they'll give you useful info on the rate at which you
burn fat most efficiently which from memory is at around 60% of your individual maximum heart rate.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:30:46 +0100, "Shakespeare" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a 10 mile commute to and from work.

>I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:

Do it, enjoy it, keep doing it.

I used to have a 12 mile round trip, which is nothing as a distance. But doing this _every_ day made
a big difference lard-wise.

I agree with Tommy,

Just keep riding and don't bother what you eat and the weigh, if you are overweight will come off

I ride 15 miles to work along the canal and generally make it last 50 - 55 mins and enjoy it. The
ride home I tend to blast.but still only knock 5, 10 at most off the journey time, but don't enjoy
it, mainly because the end of my journey involves jostling with cars !

You quickly get out of the habit of going for PB's - personal best times - you end up really
knackered at the end of the week. I confess I don't know how to improve and am satisfied to just
"bank the miles" - sad I know

We were working out our body mass indexes at work and at the time I was as thin as a racing snake -
not an ounce of fat on me but my BMIl was still 25 on the scale - sitting on the fence of being
overweight so I don't take much store in this method of measurement of overweight

I know what you mean about the lure of home. An extra couple of hours on your day biking to and from
work plus time to stop sweating and shower really turns them into long days and the motivation to
get out of bed at
6:00 of a winters morning is difficult but when I sit in the queue to drive home in my car I always
wished I'd got out of bed.

Paul

"Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree with Both. The best way to loose weight is to burn fat. Fat is burned at a lower heart
> rate. For example walking steady is fat burning, running fast is carbohydrate burning.
>
> So your steady ride to work will burn fat and the ride home will burn Carbo's, you won't really
> loose much weight going home, but it is good for your rounded fitness.
>
> The secret is regularity and consistancy. FACT = If you keep 20 miles a
day
> you'll not have much fat to play with in 6 months time. Just make sure
you
> drink plenty of fluid on the journey. I really wouldn't worry too much about when you eat, do what
> you feel comfortable with, remember if you
enjoy
> it you'll keep doing it, and keeping doing it is the answer.
>
> Goodluck
>
> Tommy
>
> "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Shakespeare <[email protected]> wrote:
> > : I have a 10 mile commute to and from work. On the way I go at a very
> sedate
> > : pace, as there's no shower available, but on the way home I "go for
it"
> > : bit more. Its a fairly hilly route, and not one that lends itself too
> much
> > : to detours.
> >
> > : I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:
> >
> > Ride to work very steadily, the short way, keep the effort low. Drink some tea/coffee before you
> > leave home but have breakfast at work.
> >
> > On the way home, if you want speed, then don't go "hell for leather" from the start. Do 10 mins
> > easy, 10 mins very very very hard, 10 mins easy. Stop. Only do this every other day.
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > --
> > Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful
> > - Lord
Lester

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Ride to work very steadily, the short way, keep the effort low. Drink some tea/coffee before you
> leave home but have breakfast at work.

There is *no* way I could cycle on an empty stomach!!

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is *no* way I could cycle on an empty stomach!!

Me neither, but then I don't really have any fat reserves that need burning ;-).

A nice bowl of yoghurt, muesli and a banana provides sufficient get-me-to-work nutrition. Lasts for
maybe a couple of hours or so, before I start hitting the snacks - a couple of slices of bread or
malt loaf with peanut butter and honey so I can make it through to lunch time...

Rich

On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:12:41 +0100, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Me neither, but then I don't really have any fat reserves that need burning

Fat reserves ? 8-( On a long ride I could flense a bit off and gnaw at it...

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> There is *no* way I could cycle on an empty stomach!!
>>

> Me neither, but then I don't really have any fat reserves that need burning ;-).
>
> A nice bowl of yoghurt, muesli and a banana provides sufficient get-me-to-work nutrition. Lasts
> for maybe a couple of hours or so, before I start hitting the snacks - a couple of slices of bread
> or malt loaf with peanut butter and honey so I can make it through to lunch time...

I think some of it depends on what you're used to. I have a couple of slices of toast and marmite
then ride 9 miles to work. I couldn'tface much more than this first thing. I can then get through
the morning with just an apple or banana, no problem.

However, if I extend the ride by even a couple of miles, I end up wanting to eat my desk by
mid morning.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think some of it depends on what you're used to. I have a couple of slices of toast and marmite
> then ride 9 miles to work. I couldn'tface much more than this first thing. I can then get through
> the morning with just an apple or banana, no problem.

I need at least the prospect of *four* slices of marmite toast with freshly squeezed orange +
2 bowls of special k to get me out of bed in the morning (*plus* a good bacon & egg fryup on
a weekend!)

"Shakespeare" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a 10 mile commute to and from work. On the way I go at a very
sedate
> pace, as there's no shower available, but on the way home I "go for it" a bit more. Its a fairly
> hilly route, and not one that lends itself too much to detours.
>
> I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:
>
> a) Going hell for leather all the way, and arriving absolutely creased in
30
> minutes or
>
> b) Aiming for a lower heartrate and effort, and dragging the ride out to
40
> minutes (still hilly remember, so not a doddle!)
>
> Please don't tell me to go twice the distance - I enjoy the ride, but the lure of home is
> soooo strong!

....and on top of what everyone else has said, remember, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
The gut took a while to appear and it will take a while to go ;-). *Be patient*. Don't expect to be
back to your original lithe starting point within a month. If you stick with it and enjoy it, you
will get there. As with most things ;-) Dave.

"Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree with Both. The best way to loose weight is to burn fat. Fat is burned at a lower heart
> rate. For example walking steady is fat burning, running fast is carbohydrate burning.
>
> So your steady ride to work will burn fat and the ride home will burn Carbo's, you won't really
> loose much weight going home, but it is good for your rounded fitness.
>
> The secret is regularity and consistancy. FACT = If you keep 20 miles a
day
> you'll not have much fat to play with in 6 months time. Just make sure
you
> drink plenty of fluid on the journey. I really wouldn't worry too much about when you eat, do what
> you feel comfortable with, remember if you
enjoy
> it you'll keep doing it, and keeping doing it is the answer.
>
> Goodluck
>
> Tommy

Tommy ?!!?....is that you, SuperTommy, my very own personal hero ?!!?...recently returned back to
the Motherland ?...presumably not working for CGEY anymore ? If so, how's the representing the
Motherland going, did it ever happen ? If not, apologies for strange queries..... ;-) Dave. (ex cgey
& 1999(?) London Tri.)

On 22 May 2003 08:01:55 GMT, Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> There is *no* way I could cycle on an empty stomach!!
>>>

>> Me neither, but then I don't really have any fat reserves that need burning ;-).
>>
>> A nice bowl of yoghurt, muesli and a banana provides sufficient get-me-to-work nutrition. Lasts
>> for maybe a couple of hours or so, before I start hitting the snacks - a couple of slices of
>> bread or malt loaf with peanut butter and honey so I can make it through to lunch time...
>
> I think some of it depends on what you're used to. I have a couple of slices of toast and marmite
> then ride 9 miles to work. I couldn'tface much more than this first thing. I can then get through
> the morning with just an apple or banana, no problem.

I'm very similar. I just can't eat in the morning. I have just about educated my stomach to the
point where I can eat a cerial bar before I set out to work rather than when I arrive (and then I
usually have a cooked breakfast at work). Getting up earlier doesn't seem to help, its the half hour
or so of exercise I need in order to get my body thinking "yup, I could eat something now".

Regards,

Tim.

"Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I agree with Both. The best way to loose weight is to burn fat. Fat is burned at a lower heart
> rate. For example walking steady is fat burning, running fast is carbohydrate burning.

This is true but it's not simply a case of throwing a switch. When you are above the fat burning
zone you are still burning some fat.

> The secret is regularity and consistancy. FACT = If you keep 20 miles a day you'll not have much
> fat to play with in 6 months time.

Agreed. Do it every day. Don't make a decision in the morning about your mode of transport. Put your
cycling togs out the night before and get into them as soon as you get up. If you find your bike has
a puncture change the tube. If it's raining get wet.

> Just make sure you drink plenty of fluid on the journey.

I would have thought the chances of getting dehydrated on a 10 mile journey are fairly remote except
in really hot conditions. Personally I don't worry about hydration at all on a short ride.

> I really wouldn't worry too much about when you eat, do what you feel comfortable with, remember
> if you enjoy it you'll keep doing it, and keeping doing it is the answer.

Also good advice I think. Remember losing weight is not just about burning fat; it also requires
taking in fewer calories than you expend. Happily a cyclist does not have to go hungry to lose
weight but you should be careful about what you eat in terms of selecting moderate amounts of a wide
variety of delicious non-fatty food. If you get a serious case of the munchies hit the raw carrots
rather than the kebab shop.

--
Dave...

Sorry to reply to the group - Dave it's me I just tried to respond to you, but your email is
boucing. Drop me a line mate!

Tommy

> "Thomas Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I agree with Both. The best way to loose weight is to burn fat. Fat is burned at a lower heart
> > rate. For example walking steady is fat
burning,
> > running fast is carbohydrate burning.
> >
> > So your steady ride to work will burn fat and the ride home will burn Carbo's, you won't really
> > loose much weight going home, but it is good
for
> > your rounded fitness.
> >
> > The secret is regularity and consistancy. FACT = If you keep 20 miles a
> day
> > you'll not have much fat to play with in 6 months time. Just make sure
> you
> > drink plenty of fluid on the journey. I really wouldn't worry too much about when you eat, do
> > what you feel comfortable with, remember if you
> enjoy
> > it you'll keep doing it, and keeping doing it is the answer.
> >
> > Goodluck
> >
> > Tommy
>
> Tommy ?!!?....is that you, SuperTommy, my very own personal hero ?!!?...recently returned back to
> the Motherland ?...presumably not working for CGEY anymore ? If so, how's the representing the
> Motherland going, did it ever happen ? If not, apologies for strange queries..... ;-) Dave. (ex
> cgey & 1999(?) London Tri.)

>....and on top of what everyone else has said, remember, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
>The gut took a while to appear and it will take a while to go ;-).

True except that guts *appear* a lot quicker than they *disappear* :(

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> >....and on top of what everyone else has said, remember, there ain't no
such
> >thing as a free lunch. The gut took a while to appear and it will take a while to go ;-).
>
> True except that guts *appear* a lot quicker than they *disappear* :(
>
> Cheers, helen s

Aw Helen !, I was trying to be positive and a little 'bending' of the truth goes a long way ;-) ...
missed out 'short' and 'long' before the 'while's ... Dave.

On 24 May 2003 10:49:46 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>Aw Helen !, I was trying to be positive and a little 'bending' of the truth goes a long way ;-)
>>... missed out 'short' and 'long' before the 'while's
>
>LOL! Actually I am in a determined mood to do something about my flab. Started a weight reduction
>regime two weeks ago. Weighing all food, keeping a diary of what I eat + getting weighed by nurse
>at doc's surgery + cycling. In two weeks I've lost a sniff under 12lbs - so this morning I am
>feeling smug. It's allow myself that or hit the chocolate ;-)
>
>Cheers, helen s
>

>~~~~~~~~~~
>Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
>
>Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
I started a simlar regime about two months ago. Even with all my cycling I still stayed at 14 1/2
stone. It just didn't shift. Then two of my friends went the calorie counting route and have now
lost more than a stone. I am now below 14 stone for the first time in ages. It really makes a
difference adding in the cycling, but not pigging out helps get the weight off.

> Original message from shakespeare I am wondering which will shift my gut most effectively:
Do the cycling and make sure the calories in are less than those used and your gut will reduce

There are lots of software packages that willl help you record and calculate the number of calories
you have used.