How to get "kick-started"

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
Give me some thoughts here.....I'm 38 yrs old and used to be in incredible shape. However, I now can't seem to get motivated. I live in a small town that has little area to ride and doesn't have a decent gym where I can go. I used to spend 90 minutes or so in the gym each day and ate very well. Now that I'm married, have kids and a job its not nearly as easy. I am irritated that I let myself get in the shape I'm in but don't have a whole lot of motivation to eat better and exercise. It's not a matter of not knowing what to do, its just a matter of doing it (I'm a registered dietitian, duh). Here are my thoughts and please give me any advice you might have. I'm thinking of getting a road bike and riding 3-4 nights a week locally then traveling a bit on the weekend to ride with others. My thought is that if I have others I ride with then they will motivate me. Once I start and continue to exercise my eating habits will improve. I've just let myself become a victim of my situation and need tips from others on how to "TAKE BACK CONTROL". Let me know what you have done and maybe I can incorporate this into my lifestyle. I honestly thing I'm looking for a group "to belong to" and exercise with but give me your thoughts and advice. Maybe I can incorporate your suggestions and get back on the right track. Thanks for your help, Greg

ive found the best thing is to find someone to ride with. check out any bike shops they will usually have weekly groups going out.

watch the movie 300 and fight club .. well it works for me anyway makes me want to have a body built for a purpose. I also think alot about reaching my genetic potential we only get one go around at this life why not be what we were supposed to be look how we were suppose to and perform at our highest ability. ok other than the things that get me going finding someone to train with is a really good way of keeping you on track some one who challenges you to be better

I think that is what I am missing. Someone to train with, ride with etc. I miss the comraderie of being a regular at the gym and having a core group of folks to work out with, riding or lifting. I'm focusing on getting a road bike so I can ride the bi-weekly LBS rides as well as some other semi-local rides on the weekend. Greg

I miss it too. I've gotten so bad that I have even picked up smoking again. (Please...no kicking needed, I've done pleanty of that myself).

I walk past my bike often and my heart just aches.

I live in Tampa Fl. and it's just not safe to bike the streets here. So I have to get dressed, load the bike, drive to my destination and ride.

Not to mention the job I work now is extreemly physical and by the time I get home all I want to do is open a cold beer and chill.

I'm 47 and really feel very old.

Right now I just kind of loathe myself so please don't feel alone.

i ride weekly with a bunch of mates.i have to have the exercise but its also a lot easier to get going when mates are abusing you about being lazy.and im damned if i ll let them beat me !the humour is second to none too and camaraderie is almost more important
gt3413 said:
Give me some thoughts here.....I'm 38 yrs old and used to be in incredible shape. However, I now can't seem to get motivated. I live in a small town that has little area to ride and doesn't have a decent gym where I can go. I used to spend 90 minutes or so in the gym each day and ate very well. Now that I'm married, have kids and a job its not nearly as easy. I am irritated that I let myself get in the shape I'm in but don't have a whole lot of motivation to eat better and exercise. It's not a matter of not knowing what to do, its just a matter of doing it (I'm a registered dietitian, duh). Here are my thoughts and please give me any advice you might have. I'm thinking of getting a road bike and riding 3-4 nights a week locally then traveling a bit on the weekend to ride with others. My thought is that if I have others I ride with then they will motivate me. Once I start and continue to exercise my eating habits will improve. I've just let myself become a victim of my situation and need tips from others on how to "TAKE BACK CONTROL". Let me know what you have done and maybe I can incorporate this into my lifestyle. I honestly thing I'm looking for a group "to belong to" and exercise with but give me your thoughts and advice. Maybe I can incorporate your suggestions and get back on the right track. Thanks for your help, Greg

Join a gym. Do one thing a day. Either ride in a spin class, or the stationary....hard ride. Stay one hour. For body parts you can get 1 or 2 or even bodyparts done in 20 min. No rest and cross. No need to be a bodybuilder. Take one hour out of your day and just go.
Wake up earlier and go before work. You you can wake up earlier make yourself. You will go to sleep earlier. It just happens. Make it a priority. You guys can do this. Nothing like starting your day with an endorphine rush.
On the weekend or on your day off plan a long ride. Going solo is fun, too!. Find a group and it is even more fun.
You'll smile a hell of alot more , too!
Good luck :)

I actually used to bodybuild and I still really enjoy the gym. My job is making it difficult. I live 45 minutes from the gym and since I'm in sales there is no way of determining where I'm going to be at the end of the day, or for that matter, where I'll be starting off the day. That's why I chose biking. I can come home and bike. I always know I'll be home at the end of the day. I've found a fairly reasonably priced road bike. Once I'm able to pick it up I am planning on doing local rides twice during the week as well as a weekend ride with another local group. Thanks for the encouragement. I swore I'd never be in this situation and here I am.

Do you live in a decently populated area. Open a gym:)
By a home gym and a stationary. Sounds like it would pay off. Couple of dumbells and an excercise ball even go a long way.
The travel sucks thats for sure. A friend of mine is in the same situation as you but he is doing it. He is still a young buck though. He has a child on the way. I'll update you on his situation in a years or so:) I predict his fitness level will drop a notch or two.

I tried the home gym but it hasn't worked for me. When I'm in the gym I want to give it 110%. I can't do that with kids (and wife for that matter) interrupting me during my workout. All it does is pi ss me off and make it worse. Thats why I have taken up cycling. Its an activity I enjoy and I can do it without getting interrupted. I can give it my all, exhaust myself, get my endorphin fix then come home and relax with the family. I've started back on my bike and am looking at buying a road bike soon. There is a LBS that does club rides twice a week and then some local guys that bike on the weekends. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input, Greg

That's great. I know how the family can ........get in the way, so to speak. There is also the guilt factor. I am currently recovering from a cervical fusion and am sidelined from the bike for 4 months. (3 1/4 to go).

I also am a former weight lifter and am watching myself deteriorate before my eyes. Weight lifting was getting old and this really interested me. In fact I really started to enjoy it.

I am having a bit of difficulty watching my caloric input now...especially since I am home with the family and not allowed to workout. I need to rest my neck and after 3-4 months I can return to my previous activity level.

I am definately in for a 100 miler by the end of the year. It was a goal of mine by the summer but I can travel someplace warm and do it. I'll be ready by November. If you know of any round that time in a warm climate let me know...I'll be in.
Take care,

Ed

Ed,
Sorry to hear about you being sidelined, that's tough.

I know what you mean about the guilt factor too. I never thought I'd have a tough time with it but I sure do. A lot of times I want to ride, go to the gym etc. but end up at home because I think they "can't do without me". I'm having a really tough time getting over it and it's holding me back. I never thought I'd feel that way but I do.

Let me know where you live and I'll look into 100 milers. See ya, Greg

Greg,

I live in Windsor, Ontario just across the river from Detroit. Gets cold in Nov. I just bought a trainer yesterday and am waiting patiently for it's arrival. Where are you from?

Wow, thats quite a ways away. I'm from Oklahoma, probably about 1200 miles (just guessing) from you. I've thought about a trainer too. I'll have to start making room for things pretty soon. Hopefully a road bike is in my near future.

Greg,

Just went back and noticed you stated that you are a registered dietition. I am an RN.
Get your road bike with a trainer and get started. Don't wait. Buy an entry level road bike to see if you enjoy the sport...as I did. Then if you do it enough jump in and go carbon and keep the entry level bike for ugly day rides.... or give it to the wife.
Let me know how it goes.

I'll keep ya posted. I've got a nice used roadbike spotted I've just got to come up with the cash to buy it. I'm riding my mtn. bike (on road) until then. I figure I should be able to fly with such a lighter bike and such skinnier tires. I'll keep ya posted. Greg

The difference is incredible. Cysling gear and clothing is costly as well. But from what I am told you will pay the price is you skimp on quality.