How to get more resistance on a trainer

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by diane143, Feb 25, 2004.

1. diane143

diane143 New Member

We have a CycleOps MagPlus, have been using it a week or so. Using the recommended settings against the tire, and the resistance lever on full, it is still not difficult to pedal in the highest gear.

Is this typical for trainers or are others better? Would a fluid trainer offer considerably more resistance (as they are considerable more expensive).

One of the things I want to work on is standing, is this even recommended on a trainer or should I use the spinning bikes at the gym for this training?

The bikes are new, 03 Jamis and 04 Cannondale. Speaking for myself, I know I can get a lot more strength in my legs. I'm sure DH is the same, we're really just beginning our roadbike training.

Any advice is appreciated, even if it's "that's all she wrote!" :D

Thanks!

Diane

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

It's a little surprising that you are able to peddle at an easy pace as you are saying with the resistance setting at full. My guess is you have a faulty mag trainer... I would return it to the place were you got it to exchange for another mag trainer. I seriously doubt you could duplicate this on any fluid trainer. ("Using the recommended settings against the tire, and the resistance lever on full, it is still not difficult to pedal in the highest gear"). Good luck.

3. diane143

diane143 New Member

How difficult should it be? I know on the spinning bikes it is easy to crank the resistance to a point where you can not spin without a *ton* of effort. At that point I wouldn't even call it a spin lol

What happens when you stand in the highest gear in a trainer? Should you be able to out-pedal the trainer? Hope that makes sense.

The remote mag sensor does kick in so at least that is set up. We can def recheck the tire setting, bring it to the shop or try some of theirs. They had me on a fluid trainer for fitting but I didn't even think to see how it felt in higher gears.

My new bike won't fit on our ancient wind trainer so I need to get another one and based on what we have found with the Mag+, wanted to see if the fluids were that much better.

Thanks again! :)

Diane

4. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

I would agree that there must be something amiss with your mag trainer and/or set up if you find it easy to pedal at maximum resistance in the highest gear.

The only time I call for extra resistance on my mag trainer is for sprint training for the track. I have it on max resistance in a 53X11 and find I'm hitting over 160rpm.

To get the maximum rpm down to simulate specifity for the track (140-150rpm) I adjust the rear brakes on to the rim so they offer enough resistance so I train maximally in this range. It only takes a very light brake pad contact to find the required resistance.

5. diane143

diane143 New Member

Tonight I put the bike on the trainer (I had not set it up on that one before). I'm sure I didn't give it enough pressure on the rear wheel as I could feel it slipping once in awhile. I'm still pretty new to this. :-/

I wouldn't say it's "easy" to pedal in the top gear but it's sure not very hard. To use an example, I was doing a cadence of 50 and IIRC my heart rate didn't go above a low zone 3. It was early in the workout though. I didn't feel strained at all. I would consider "hard" to be something I feel like I want to back off from. :)

That's a great tip on the brakes! It won't damage anything other than extra wear on the pads right?

In the meantime I'll have DH check how I put the bike on tonight, and when our LBS gets their shipment in, we'll try out a fluid to see how it compares.

In the meantime, spring is coming and pavement soon I hope! :)

Thanks,

Diane