How to get on the road...

FloydLandis

Jun 13, 2006
What kind of excuses do you give your spouse about how many hours you spend away from them on that"stupid bike?" I just faced this all too common questioning today for the millionth time and I am running out of ideas. She just doesn't understand the love i have for the pain and suffering of training my ass off day after day. I love it soo much that i would rather ride than take out the trash or do the dishes. You know what i mean. So what clever things can you guys come up with to keep the dream alive just one more day....

FloydLandis said:
What kind of excuses do you give your spouse about how many hours you spend away from them on that"stupid bike?" I just faced this all too common questioning today for the millionth time and I am running out of ideas. She just doesn't understand the love i have for the pain and suffering of training my ass off day after day. I love it soo much that i would rather ride than take out the trash or do the dishes. You know what i mean. So what clever things can you guys come up with to keep the dream alive just one more day....
buy her a bike

(but for the record I actually started my husband cycling - he later returned the favor and started me racing)

FloydLandis said:
Lie. Go to work early, work through lunch and leave early to ride without telling. Take an afternoon off and ride. Don't tell her. Treat your bike like a mistress (not that I would know about the mistress part).

li0scc0 said:
Lie. Go to work early, work through lunch and leave early to ride without telling. Take an afternoon off and ride. Don't tell her. Treat your bike like a mistress (not that I would know about the mistress part).
You don't even have to lie. Just incorporate your training into your working hours, if possible.

Other than that, you have to weigh your options on weekends. How much are you willing to let her dictate your life, and what sacrifices do you have to make to avoid her leaving you? Often, the problem isn't solely the bike riding, but the fact than men don't have no other interests than bike riding. If you can keep your woman happy in other departments, she wont up and leave you over a few hours excercise.

If your name is really Floyd Landis she should be proud!!!!

She needs her own hobby, that takes her away from you, and gives her money to spend - don't you think that's a good idea Floyd?

FloydLandis said:
My wife is very hard-working and generous, so long as it benefits someone else. So I do a couple charity rides every summer. Then she has no problem with my "training" schedule. She even helps with the fundraising drive and is my major backer.

me: "You're a f*cking c*w and I can't believe I married you..."

wife: "Get the f*ck out!!!"

me: "OK!" ;)

First, point out the benefits and reduced cost of other ways you could be spending your time... like bar hopping or clubbing baby seals.

Also, let her know that she is a priority, but there is something in second place. :)

Also, don't let it get in the way of taking out the trash or doing the dishes... Just do those things quickly and with a smile. After all, doing those things around the house in a cooperative way will get you other rewards, along with support of your cycling. :D

Your wife apparently doesn't get to limit her activity to just the fun stuff (I assume the dishes get done somehow) so neither should you!

Life is about balance.

I use to fish. My fishing trips would last anywhere from 4-12 hrs. My one to two hour rides are a breath of fresh air to her. The bike I want to buy is not!

I use to fish. My fishing trips would last anywhere from 4-12 hrs. My one to two hour rides are a breath of fresh air to her. The bike I want to buy is not!

My wifes likes me riding, she buys me bikes and stuff.

She doesnt ride herself any more as she doesnt have time with the baby and work etc.

she says she likes me fit and healthy. Who am i to argue?

My wifes likes me riding, she buys me bikes and stuff.

She doesnt ride herself any more as she doesnt have time with the baby and work etc.

she says she likes me fit and healthy. Who am i to argue?

FloydLandis said:
Both myself and the missus have motorbikes so we're kinda ok on the whole "i'm just popping out for a blat, hun!" side of things. mind you, in summer a blat on the motorbike can last a while - last summer i uttered those fateful words "i won't be long" ..... and was out for a day and a half!! :D lol i wasn't popular when i got home but at least i phoned to say where i was.

a good thing about being a newbie to cycling is that my rides are still short-ish so the missus isn't all that bothered about them at the moment. i can see that changing if i'm not careful though ;)

Tim.

FloydLandis said:
Both myself and the missus have motorbikes so we're kinda ok on the whole "i'm just popping out for a blat, hun!" side of things. mind you, in summer a blat on the motorbike can last a while - last summer i uttered those fateful words "i won't be long" ..... and was out for a day and a half!! :D lol i wasn't popular when i got home but at least i phoned to say where i was.

a good thing about being a newbie to cycling is that my rides are still short-ish so the missus isn't all that bothered about them at the moment. i can see that changing if i'm not careful though ;)

Tim.

Find her a new boyfriend. Then she won't care and might actucally be happy that you're gone....

Seriously, if time together is an issue, then adust your rides to time where you'd otherwise not impede on "together" time. Get up earlier if you have to (that's what works for me). On the weekends I can usually get 30-50 miles in before she gets up.

I also make it a point to try and do a MTB ride with her one day over the weekends.

L

Do your part to help around the house. Build some time in to spend with the Mrs. Never pass up the opportunity to attend to the Mrs. She won't be in your grill all the time about what you do with the rest of the time.

Commuting to work does well for me... gets me about 46 miles each day I ride and I get to keep some money in my wallet instead of giving it to an oil company. Plus it doesn't really interfere w/ family time. :)

You are getting good advice. You have to balance things, so don't neglect the garbage and whatever other chores there are. Point out to her that you know that if you dont keep excercising you will lose your strength and for quality of life you need to continue. I gather that your wife feels you are bailing out on her. You might have to change the times that you ride, fore xample, getting up early in the morning, or taking an easy ride shortly after supper.

Remember, you can maintiain your fitness level with two or three good rides a week.

Sparhawk said:
Commuting to work does well for me... gets me about 46 miles each day I ride and I get to keep some money in my wallet instead of giving it to an oil company. Plus it doesn't really interfere w/ family time. :)
Cycling costs me more than catching the train because of the quantity of food I need to eat.

Excuse? Who needs 'em? I commute to school/work every day, and on the weekends I get to enjoy long rides w/out a bookbag. Wifey? Well, she likes me riding--she likes it infinitely more than when I was road racing motorcycles--and she's not opposed to be buying bike stuff. She knows that iffin' I'm not active and outside, I quicky become a *******.

If you need an excuse to ride, it's time to trade up for a new model.