How to get started?

monkey_magnus

Feb 4, 2004
I really want to get on the track. I live fairly close to the Newport (South Wales) track, and have been and watched a few races there.

BUT... I'm finding it really difficult to get any information! When I spoke to people at the races, they just said I needed to join a club who would then do sessions at the velodrome for club riders. Is there no way I could just turn up and get a taster of what track riding is all about, before having to get a race license etc.?

Help me get started!!!

I'm not sure about your clubs but at my club in Oz, you can ride the track with other novices, using club bikes.
I bought my own bike before starting, but if you don't have your own track bike, the club might have bikes you can loan for their training sessions. If you are not a member, there may be a samll fee for bike hire and insurance.
You should find the contact details for someone at a local club. Ask them how to start racing - they should be only too happy to help.

hth
hippy

Where I live at here in South Florida we have a velodrom and at the track you can rent a bike and get a taste of what it is. Perhaps where you live there might be something like it also.