How to Get Stubborn Pedals Off - Answer [not a question]

wle

Guest
how i did it.
by me.

tried to remove pedals while on the bike.

then i thought, this isn;t working.

may as well take the cranks off.

so i did, headed to the garage with the pedal wrench.

first thought was, hold crank in the vise.

but they looked hard to clamp.

so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.

then i used the crank itself as a lever.

turns out it was longer than the wrench.

pedals came right off.

only tricky thing is to figure out which way to turn the crank.

wle.

Sounds like a fine solution!

I always just position the crank forward, and the wrench so it is
approximately in line with the crank facing backward... then push down
on the wrench, or squeeze the wrench and crank together if possible
(wrench angled slightly above the crank). Works for me... but maybe my
pedals have never been that stubborn.

-Ron

these things would not come off any other way.

i was hammering the wrench.

just made the wrench come off.

i even used a broomstick [rear wheel removed] to hold the other crank
still against the chainstay.

plus the wrench would not line up near parallel to the crank, so the
squeezing-together method was out.

it;s the same way i got a stuck freehub off, held the 10mm allen wrench
in the vise, turned the wheel around it.

wle.

Well, I was just about to take my old pedals off and get my new SPD
pedals on, when I found out that the wrench no.15 was a bit too large
and the wrench no.14 was a bit too small.

So here I am, with the shops just closed for the weekend.

*sigh*

Robin.

wle wrote:
> how i did it.
> by me.
>
> tried to remove pedals while on the bike.
>
> then i thought, this isn;t working.
>
> may as well take the cranks off.
>
> so i did, headed to the garage with the pedal wrench.
>
> first thought was, hold crank in the vise.
>
> but they looked hard to clamp.
>
> so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>
> then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>
> turns out it was longer than the wrench.
>
> pedals came right off.
>
> only tricky thing is to figure out which way to turn the crank.
>
> wle.
>

> Well, I was just about to take my old pedals off and get my new SPD
> pedals on, when I found out that the wrench no.15 was a bit too large
> and the wrench no.14 was a bit too small.
>
> So here I am, with the shops just closed for the weekend.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Robin.

I presume that you mean 15 and 14 mm wrenches[spanners]. Your pedal
flats are 15 mm which isn't difficult to verify by measurement. Use the
15 mm wrench. It's a "bit too large" to allow it to slide over the
flats.

Remember that the left pedal unscrews in a clockwise direction, opposite
from the right pedal and most other threads.

--
Ted Bennett

I presume that you mean 15 and 14 mm wrenches[spanners]. Your pedal
> flats are 15 mm which isn't difficult to verify by measurement. Use the
> 15 mm wrench. It's a "bit too large" to allow it to slide over the
> flats.
>
> Remember that the left pedal unscrews in a clockwise direction, opposite
> from the right pedal and most other threads.

So the 15mm should fit? That's awkward, it feels like it's got just a
little too much room, it slips over the pedal flats. But that might be
the spanner themselves, they're the Stanley kind of spanners with an
asymmetric shape that allow you to fasten or unfasten and then rotate
the spanner back with out taking it from the bolt. I'll try a symmetric
spanner tomorrow.

I guess it hasn't got enough contact area to get the pedals to come out.
The pedals are *really* right, anyway. Previous owner probably forgot to
put some kind of lubricant on the threads.

Robin.

> I presume that you mean 15 and 14 mm wrenches[spanners]. Your pedal
> > flats are 15 mm which isn't difficult to verify by measurement. Use the
> > 15 mm wrench. It's a "bit too large" to allow it to slide over the
> > flats.
> >
> > Remember that the left pedal unscrews in a clockwise direction, opposite
> > from the right pedal and most other threads.
> >

> So the 15mm should fit? That's awkward, it feels like it's got just a
> little too much room, it slips over the pedal flats. But that might be
> the spanner themselves, they're the Stanley kind of spanners with an
> asymmetric shape that allow you to fasten or unfasten and then rotate
> the spanner back with out taking it from the bolt. I'll try a symmetric
> spanner tomorrow.
>
> I guess it hasn't got enough contact area to get the pedals to come out.
> The pedals are *really* right, anyway. Previous owner probably forgot to
> put some kind of lubricant on the threads.
>
> Robin.

Some pedals need a thin wrench, but a good pedal wrench is thin and
long. You want to be able to apply some leverage. Put the wrench on
the pedal spindle flats with the pedal forward, and you can apply a lot
of force pushing the wrench downward. It's the same for both sides due
to the left hand threads on the left pedal. If a pedal is really stuck,
a rap with a hammer on the wrench may break it free. Application of
heat can help.

Good luck.

--
Ted Bennett

wle wrote:
> 9/16" usually works, i think it is about 14.2 mm
>
> wle.

Well, a different 15mm spanner, a night's soaking in WD-40 and a bit of
the ol' brute force got them off. New pedals are on with a big dollop of
lube on the thread and I'm ready to go try my new SM-R060 shoes! Thanks,
all!

"Do you hear them cleating, Clarice?"

Robin

On 22 Jul 2005 14:06:18 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sounds like a fine solution!
>
>I always just position the crank forward, and the wrench so it is
>approximately in line with the crank facing backward... then push down
>on the wrench, or squeeze the wrench and crank together if possible
>(wrench angled slightly above the crank). Works for me... but maybe my
>pedals have never been that stubborn.

My procedure:

Lay concrete block under pedal; shim with blocks of wood as needed so
that the wrench flats are approximately horizontal. Place wrench on
flats. Step on end of wrench. This works well for me. (It helps to
have a really strong wrench...)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

RNK wrote:
> wle wrote:
>> 9/16" usually works, i think it is about 14.2 mm
>>
>> wle.
>>

> Well, a different 15mm spanner, a night's soaking in WD-40 and a bit
> of the ol' brute force got them off. New pedals are on with a big
> dollop of lube on the thread and I'm ready to go try my new SM-R060
> shoes! Thanks, all!
>
> "Do you hear them cleating, Clarice?"

"It's takes the lotion from the basket and rubs it on the threads (or gets
the hose again)."

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=23

Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>tried to remove pedals while on the bike.

[...]
>so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>turns out it was longer than the wrench.

That's a pretty terrible pedal wrench.

I find the nuclear option is to tie the opposite crank to the chainstay -
use plenty of string - get the wrench horizontal, and stand on it.
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>tried to remove pedals while on the bike.

[...]
>so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>turns out it was longer than the wrench.

That's a pretty terrible pedal wrench.

I find the nuclear option is to tie the opposite crank to the chainstay -
use plenty of string - get the wrench horizontal, and stand on it.
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>tried to remove pedals while on the bike.

[...]
>so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>turns out it was longer than the wrench.

That's a pretty terrible pedal wrench.

I find the nuclear option is to tie the opposite crank to the chainstay -
use plenty of string - get the wrench horizontal, and stand on it.
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>tried to remove pedals while on the bike.

[...]
>so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>turns out it was longer than the wrench.

That's a pretty terrible pedal wrench.

I find the nuclear option is to tie the opposite crank to the chainstay -
use plenty of string - get the wrench horizontal, and stand on it.
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

it was better than the wrench i had..

the real key was being able to pull up on the crank.

this way, i was able to put more than my own weight into solving the
problem..

wle.