How to Get Stubborn Pedals Off - Answer [not a question]

it was better than the wrench i had..

the real key was being able to pull up on the crank.

this way, i was able to put more than my own weight into solving the
problem..

wle.

it was better than the wrench i had..

the real key was being able to pull up on the crank.

this way, i was able to put more than my own weight into solving the
problem..

wle.

(It helps to
> have a really strong wrench...)

helps to have help holding wrench to shaft
whereas if one steps on the pedal and blocks the wrench...
and one may torch wrench and crank without juggling while cooling or is
that cooling while juggling?

(It helps to

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>so i did the opposite - clamped the wrench into the vise.
>
>then i used the crank itself as a lever.
>
>turns out it was longer than the wrench.
>
>pedals came right off.

I realize this is a months-old thread, but anyway, tales from yet another
noob:

I bought a bunch of old bikes from Craigslist over summer, and of course
all of them have pedals that are seriously torqued on. I don't have the
fancy long handle Park tool and don't wanna cough up the bucks for one.
Heck, didn't even have a decent set of metric wrenches. So I went to the
local McLendon and ask for "long handle 15mm wrench" and the one they had
wasn't nearly long enough. Then the guy said I should use a "cheater bar,"
which is just a (longer) steel pipe that slides over a wrench to add
leverage. I bought a set of combo metric wrenches for $12 and a pipe
that's about 1.5 foot long for another dollar or so, and the pedals come
off very easily. The pipe has a 1-inch inner diameter, which can fit over
the box end of wrenches up to 17mm, and it works also for allen wrenches if
you don't have those long-handled ones.