How to get Taken Seriously



davidhowland14

New Member
Jul 8, 2007
25
0
0
taracor said:
I'm 16, so I suppose that could be the reason for the guy's attitude, but I dunno.
bingo. also 16, i've learned that I just can't expect the same level of service that adults get. I guess people around here assume that I'm just gonna cause trouble.

The way I solved the cycle shop problem is I got a job there. I can hang out with the mechanics, and I get employee discounts on stuff at the shop.
 

millzebub

New Member
Jul 5, 2007
64
0
0
the bike shop guy is obviously a jerk and probably jealous that you have many more years of riding in front of you than he does. So definitely find a new shop, but if that is not possible there are other options.

If you can coerce your parents into getting involved, you can get a lot of great "cheaper" stuff online. Although I do like to support my local shop, they tend to be way overpriced!! As far as saving up for a Bianchi Brava or a similar grade bike, you may get more enjoyment and better quality out of a used bike. If you go to craigslist.org you can find a lot of used good quality bikes (hopefully in your area!) I bet you could find a Bianchi imola or maybe even a vigorelli for the same price you'd pay for a Brava new...

Also, for bike accessories as well as bikes, you might want to try Ebay. I have gotten brand new cycling apparel for half the price there. (Castelli jerseys, shorts, you name it) And I recently purchased my new (to me) bike there as well. Again, I paid half the price I would have new and at a shop. Whatever you do, you should make sure to show off all the stuff that you bought elsewhere to this jerk...!

good luck and have fun!

taracor said:
Hello! Earlier today, a friend of mine decided to join me on one of my rides. We cycled around for a little while and decided to head towards the local bike shop since we were close by, and he needed a bottle cage and I could use some new gloves.

Now I have had good expiriance with this shop before; except for the time when I talked to a sales person, he went into the back, and I heard a roar of laughter that I have the feeling was directed at me. Anyway, we walked into the store, and decided to look around a little at first and explained how some things worked to my friend.

Well after a while, someone, who I am guessign is the manager, walked from the back behind the counter and asked if we needed anything. He had been watching us from the moment we walked in, which made me a little uneasy. Anyway, I asked, innocently enough I think, "Do you happen to have a cheap plstic or nylon bottle cage?". Well aparently, this offended the guy, because he started saying, and pretty hotly too, "We dont sell CHEAP things, inexpensive yes, but not CHEAP!" I appologised and said "I'm sorry, I meant in expensive not cheap." So the guy leads us to a shelf with bottle cages and explains to us that they had 2 types, and left.

Well, then I grabbed some money from my saddle bag and decided to buy a pair of gloves (my friend didn't get the gloves because there weren't any that he could afford with teh 10 he had on him). Now, the way he reacted before made me a bit nervous when talking to him. As he was ringing me up, I asked him if I could take 2 bikes on test runs the next week, because as I explained, I was deciding wheter to buy a Bianchi Brava or a Trek 1500. Well he explained (very halfhazzardly) that both of those had too big of frames for me and I should try a Trek 100 (which I am pretty certain had the same sized frame).

So then I told him about another situation of mine, (this time incredibly nervous he would scream at me or something) that I am trying to learn about Bicycle repair and mechanics, and that I have read books, but wanted some more help. I asked if I could come in some day and just observe the mechanic for a little. His response was "NO! You can't do that! Buy a book if you want to learn!" and pointed me at a book which I think I already have read. I didn't want to deal with it any more so I just took my gloves and left.

I don't know what the guy's problem was. I don't think he took me seriously. I am not sure why. It could have been the fact that I wasn't wearing a jersey and cyclogn shorts, but I can't afford them. I wore what I had, which was a longsleeved lycra tshirt and a pair of basketball shirts. I would LIKE to be able to buy some real aparrel, but I don't have enough money for than and a new bike (and believe me, I need one). I don't want to think that the guy would be so eliteist as to not take me seriosuly for not wearing propper aparrel, but I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas on how to actually get taken serisouly as a cyclist?



Shortened version: The manager of the LBS got angry at me for asking non offensive questions and wouldn't take me seriously, possibly because I can't affor propper cycling apparel. Do you have any ideas on how to get take seriously as a cyclist?
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
A snob shop. I know of a couple, and avoid them like the plague. I've seen the same thing - if you come in with a less than perfect bike, or don't offer to spend a ton of money, you'll get attitudes ranging from patronizing to outright offensive. Don't let your age get you down, I get the same attitude at my considerably greater age.

If I were managing a bike shop (used to wrench in one), I wouldn't let you watch the mechanics, I'd hire you as an assistant. You'd get the knowledge you wanted, I'd get an enthusiastic employee - they are very hard to find.

But if you really want a bit of payback... Ride. Ride until it hurts, then push yourself more. Ride with people faster than you, you push harder when you start to slip off the back. Go out every evening, and all weekend. Put on a cheap computer, and watch your average rise. Take a long ride that really hurts, then go out the next day and do the same ride, and watch your average speed creep up a bit.

In a year or two, set your trap. Catch this clown and his a-hole buddies on a weekend ride. Pull up next to them, tell him you learned to work on a bike after all, then drop the hammer. You may not have the pleasure of hearing the actual comments, but rest assured they'll be making excuses all the way home.
 

Coke Zero

New Member
Aug 5, 2007
3
0
0
I'd never go back to that place. If they don't respect you then you can't trust them to give you good advice, ie that a bike doesn't come in the right size for you. I was looking for a 52cm Orbea and a LBS tried to pawn off a 54cm to me as a 52cm. It looked too big and when I rode it WAS too big. I called them on it several times to the point that I had them measure the tube lengths and reference it to Orbea geometries. They still insisted that it was a 52. Measured the tubes and sure enough it was a 54 but the shop still insisted it was a 52. Never stepped foot back in there. You can also sometimes find lower priced cycling gear at sports shops. They won't be the fancy stuff but it'll beat the bunching and flapping shorts and keep you away from irksome LBS managers. Just keep riding and have fun.



taracor said:
Hello! Earlier today, a friend of mine decided to join me on one of my rides. We cycled around for a little while and decided to head towards the local bike shop since we were close by, and he needed a bottle cage and I could use some new gloves.

Now I have had good expiriance with this shop before; except for the time when I talked to a sales person, he went into the back, and I heard a roar of laughter that I have the feeling was directed at me. Anyway, we walked into the store, and decided to look around a little at first and explained how some things worked to my friend.

Well after a while, someone, who I am guessign is the manager, walked from the back behind the counter and asked if we needed anything. He had been watching us from the moment we walked in, which made me a little uneasy. Anyway, I asked, innocently enough I think, "Do you happen to have a cheap plstic or nylon bottle cage?". Well aparently, this offended the guy, because he started saying, and pretty hotly too, "We dont sell CHEAP things, inexpensive yes, but not CHEAP!" I appologised and said "I'm sorry, I meant in expensive not cheap." So the guy leads us to a shelf with bottle cages and explains to us that they had 2 types, and left.

Well, then I grabbed some money from my saddle bag and decided to buy a pair of gloves (my friend didn't get the gloves because there weren't any that he could afford with teh 10 he had on him). Now, the way he reacted before made me a bit nervous when talking to him. As he was ringing me up, I asked him if I could take 2 bikes on test runs the next week, because as I explained, I was deciding wheter to buy a Bianchi Brava or a Trek 1500. Well he explained (very halfhazzardly) that both of those had too big of frames for me and I should try a Trek 100 (which I am pretty certain had the same sized frame).

So then I told him about another situation of mine, (this time incredibly nervous he would scream at me or something) that I am trying to learn about Bicycle repair and mechanics, and that I have read books, but wanted some more help. I asked if I could come in some day and just observe the mechanic for a little. His response was "NO! You can't do that! Buy a book if you want to learn!" and pointed me at a book which I think I already have read. I didn't want to deal with it any more so I just took my gloves and left.

I don't know what the guy's problem was. I don't think he took me seriously. I am not sure why. It could have been the fact that I wasn't wearing a jersey and cyclogn shorts, but I can't afford them. I wore what I had, which was a longsleeved lycra tshirt and a pair of basketball shirts. I would LIKE to be able to buy some real aparrel, but I don't have enough money for than and a new bike (and believe me, I need one). I don't want to think that the guy would be so eliteist as to not take me seriosuly for not wearing propper aparrel, but I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas on how to actually get taken serisouly as a cyclist?



Shortened version: The manager of the LBS got angry at me for asking non offensive questions and wouldn't take me seriously, possibly because I can't affor propper cycling apparel. Do you have any ideas on how to get take seriously as a cyclist?
 

Donger

New Member
Aug 8, 2007
1
0
0
taracor said:
Well, I thought about going to a different place. The thing is, this is the closest shop, and I like every aspect of it except that guy. I'm not sure, I might switch shops, I may not. I have no idea about how I am going to go about this.
For those of us in T-Town, which LBS is it?
 

taracor

New Member
Aug 7, 2007
9
0
1
31
Donger said:
For those of us in T-Town, which LBS is it?
Rainier Cycles on Proctor. It's the older guy with thinning hair. The girl is cool, and so is the younger guy. What part of Tacoma are you from?
 

xxamr_corpxx

New Member
Mar 16, 2006
327
0
0
Here's a tip - buy some probikekit.com clothing and walk into the shop. Ask for a carbon bike with Campagnolo Record while fumbling with your chequebook. When they show you the price, say loudly "I CAN GET IT CHEAPER ONLINE."

That'll get them ****** off.
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
53
1. Change shop. It is your money and you are entitled to be treated respectfully. Whether you are 12 or 1200 years old.

2. Tell every rider you encounter what idiots the guys in the shop are.

3. A shop should be a place where you can also hang out and learn something.
 

WIGGUM1

New Member
Jun 7, 2007
131
0
0
xxamr_corpxx said:
Here's a tip - buy some probikekit.com clothing and walk into the shop. Ask for a carbon bike with Campagnolo Record while fumbling with your chequebook. When they show you the price, say loudly "I CAN GET IT CHEAPER ONLINE."

That'll get them ****** off.
HAHA, brilliant!
 

Pendejo

Member
Apr 8, 2006
589
10
0
There is one other thing to try, especially if other bike shops are too far away. If you go back in and get the same attitude from that guy, ask him his name and if he's the owner. If he's the owner, there's nothing much you can do but stay away. If he's not, ask how you can get in touch with the owner. When you do, explain what you encountered and that such an attitude is driving you and your friends to shop elsewhere.

Retail employees have little incentive to be professional. You need to complain to the people who have their money on the table.
 

baj32161

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
492
4
18
61
I went to a camera shop like that, and saw the staff treat a beginner this way. I had planned on making a few purchases that day. After seeing that I walked up to the manager and told him that I would no longer be coming into his store if that is the way he encourages his staff to treat their customers. I have not been back since, and I had spent thousands in that shop.

There are always other shops.

Cheers,

Brian