How to get Taken Seriously

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by taracor, Aug 7, 2007.

1. davidhowland14

davidhowland14 New Member

bingo. also 16, i've learned that I just can't expect the same level of service that adults get. I guess people around here assume that I'm just gonna cause trouble.

The way I solved the cycle shop problem is I got a job there. I can hang out with the mechanics, and I get employee discounts on stuff at the shop.

2. millzebub

millzebub New Member

the bike shop guy is obviously a jerk and probably jealous that you have many more years of riding in front of you than he does. So definitely find a new shop, but if that is not possible there are other options.

If you can coerce your parents into getting involved, you can get a lot of great "cheaper" stuff online. Although I do like to support my local shop, they tend to be way overpriced!! As far as saving up for a Bianchi Brava or a similar grade bike, you may get more enjoyment and better quality out of a used bike. If you go to craigslist.org you can find a lot of used good quality bikes (hopefully in your area!) I bet you could find a Bianchi imola or maybe even a vigorelli for the same price you'd pay for a Brava new...

Also, for bike accessories as well as bikes, you might want to try Ebay. I have gotten brand new cycling apparel for half the price there. (Castelli jerseys, shorts, you name it) And I recently purchased my new (to me) bike there as well. Again, I paid half the price I would have new and at a shop. Whatever you do, you should make sure to show off all the stuff that you bought elsewhere to this jerk...!

good luck and have fun!

3. JohnO

JohnO New Member

A snob shop. I know of a couple, and avoid them like the plague. I've seen the same thing - if you come in with a less than perfect bike, or don't offer to spend a ton of money, you'll get attitudes ranging from patronizing to outright offensive. Don't let your age get you down, I get the same attitude at my considerably greater age.

If I were managing a bike shop (used to wrench in one), I wouldn't let you watch the mechanics, I'd hire you as an assistant. You'd get the knowledge you wanted, I'd get an enthusiastic employee - they are very hard to find.

But if you really want a bit of payback... Ride. Ride until it hurts, then push yourself more. Ride with people faster than you, you push harder when you start to slip off the back. Go out every evening, and all weekend. Put on a cheap computer, and watch your average rise. Take a long ride that really hurts, then go out the next day and do the same ride, and watch your average speed creep up a bit.

In a year or two, set your trap. Catch this clown and his a-hole buddies on a weekend ride. Pull up next to them, tell him you learned to work on a bike after all, then drop the hammer. You may not have the pleasure of hearing the actual comments, but rest assured they'll be making excuses all the way home.

4. Coke Zero

Coke Zero New Member

I'd never go back to that place. If they don't respect you then you can't trust them to give you good advice, ie that a bike doesn't come in the right size for you. I was looking for a 52cm Orbea and a LBS tried to pawn off a 54cm to me as a 52cm. It looked too big and when I rode it WAS too big. I called them on it several times to the point that I had them measure the tube lengths and reference it to Orbea geometries. They still insisted that it was a 52. Measured the tubes and sure enough it was a 54 but the shop still insisted it was a 52. Never stepped foot back in there. You can also sometimes find lower priced cycling gear at sports shops. They won't be the fancy stuff but it'll beat the bunching and flapping shorts and keep you away from irksome LBS managers. Just keep riding and have fun.

5. Donger

Donger New Member

For those of us in T-Town, which LBS is it?

6. taracor

taracor New Member

Rainier Cycles on Proctor. It's the older guy with thinning hair. The girl is cool, and so is the younger guy. What part of Tacoma are you from?

7. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Here's a tip - buy some probikekit.com clothing and walk into the shop. Ask for a carbon bike with Campagnolo Record while fumbling with your chequebook. When they show you the price, say loudly "I CAN GET IT CHEAPER ONLINE."

That'll get them pissed off.

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

1. Change shop. It is your money and you are entitled to be treated respectfully. Whether you are 12 or 1200 years old.

2. Tell every rider you encounter what idiots the guys in the shop are.

3. A shop should be a place where you can also hang out and learn something.

9. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

HAHA, brilliant!

10. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

There is one other thing to try, especially if other bike shops are too far away. If you go back in and get the same attitude from that guy, ask him his name and if he's the owner. If he's the owner, there's nothing much you can do but stay away. If he's not, ask how you can get in touch with the owner. When you do, explain what you encountered and that such an attitude is driving you and your friends to shop elsewhere.

Retail employees have little incentive to be professional. You need to complain to the people who have their money on the table.

11. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

I went to a camera shop like that, and saw the staff treat a beginner this way. I had planned on making a few purchases that day. After seeing that I walked up to the manager and told him that I would no longer be coming into his store if that is the way he encourages his staff to treat their customers. I have not been back since, and I had spent thousands in that shop.

There are always other shops.

Cheers,

Brian