How to get Taken Seriously

taracor

Aug 7, 2007
Hello! Earlier today, a friend of mine decided to join me on one of my rides. We cycled around for a little while and decided to head towards the local bike shop since we were close by, and he needed a bottle cage and I could use some new gloves.

Now I have had good expiriance with this shop before; except for the time when I talked to a sales person, he went into the back, and I heard a roar of laughter that I have the feeling was directed at me. Anyway, we walked into the store, and decided to look around a little at first and explained how some things worked to my friend.

Well after a while, someone, who I am guessign is the manager, walked from the back behind the counter and asked if we needed anything. He had been watching us from the moment we walked in, which made me a little uneasy. Anyway, I asked, innocently enough I think, "Do you happen to have a cheap plstic or nylon bottle cage?". Well aparently, this offended the guy, because he started saying, and pretty hotly too, "We dont sell CHEAP things, inexpensive yes, but not CHEAP!" I appologised and said "I'm sorry, I meant in expensive not cheap." So the guy leads us to a shelf with bottle cages and explains to us that they had 2 types, and left.

Well, then I grabbed some money from my saddle bag and decided to buy a pair of gloves (my friend didn't get the gloves because there weren't any that he could afford with teh 10 he had on him). Now, the way he reacted before made me a bit nervous when talking to him. As he was ringing me up, I asked him if I could take 2 bikes on test runs the next week, because as I explained, I was deciding wheter to buy a Bianchi Brava or a Trek 1500. Well he explained (very halfhazzardly) that both of those had too big of frames for me and I should try a Trek 100 (which I am pretty certain had the same sized frame).

So then I told him about another situation of mine, (this time incredibly nervous he would scream at me or something) that I am trying to learn about Bicycle repair and mechanics, and that I have read books, but wanted some more help. I asked if I could come in some day and just observe the mechanic for a little. His response was "NO! You can't do that! Buy a book if you want to learn!" and pointed me at a book which I think I already have read. I didn't want to deal with it any more so I just took my gloves and left.

I don't know what the guy's problem was. I don't think he took me seriously. I am not sure why. It could have been the fact that I wasn't wearing a jersey and cyclogn shorts, but I can't afford them. I wore what I had, which was a longsleeved lycra tshirt and a pair of basketball shirts. I would LIKE to be able to buy some real aparrel, but I don't have enough money for than and a new bike (and believe me, I need one). I don't want to think that the guy would be so eliteist as to not take me seriosuly for not wearing propper aparrel, but I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas on how to actually get taken serisouly as a cyclist?

Shortened version: The manager of the LBS got angry at me for asking non offensive questions and wouldn't take me seriously, possibly because I can't affor propper cycling apparel. Do you have any ideas on how to get take seriously as a cyclist?

taracor said:
Hello! Earlier today, a friend of mine decided to join me on one of my rides. We cycled around for a little while and decided to head towards the local bike shop since we were close by, and he needed a bottle cage and I could use some new gloves.

Now I have had good expiriance with this shop before; except for the time when I talked to a sales person, he went into the back, and I heard a roar of laughter that I have the feeling was directed at me. Anyway, we walked into the store, and decided to look around a little at first and explained how some things worked to my friend.

Well after a while, someone, who I am guessign is the manager, walked from the back behind the counter and asked if we needed anything. He had been watching us from the moment we walked in, which made me a little uneasy. Anyway, I asked, innocently enough I think, "Do you happen to have a cheap plstic or nylon bottle cage?". Well aparently, this offended the guy, because he started saying, and pretty hotly too, "We dont sell CHEAP things, inexpensive yes, but not CHEAP!" I appologised and said "I'm sorry, I meant in expensive not cheap." So the guy leads us to a shelf with bottle cages and explains to us that they had 2 types, and left.

Well, then I grabbed some money from my saddle bag and decided to buy a pair of gloves (my friend didn't get the gloves because there weren't any that he could afford with teh 10 he had on him). Now, the way he reacted before made me a bit nervous when talking to him. As he was ringing me up, I asked him if I could take 2 bikes on test runs the next week, because as I explained, I was deciding wheter to buy a Bianchi Brava or a Trek 1500. Well he explained (very halfhazzardly) that both of those had too big of frames for me and I should try a Trek 100 (which I am pretty certain had the same sized frame).

So then I told him about another situation of mine, (this time incredibly nervous he would scream at me or something) that I am trying to learn about Bicycle repair and mechanics, and that I have read books, but wanted some more help. I asked if I could come in some day and just observe the mechanic for a little. His response was "NO! You can't do that! Buy a book if you want to learn!" and pointed me at a book which I think I already have read. I didn't want to deal with it any more so I just took my gloves and left.

I don't know what the guy's problem was. I don't think he took me seriously. I am not sure why. It could have been the fact that I wasn't wearing a jersey and cyclogn shorts, but I can't afford them. I wore what I had, which was a longsleeved lycra tshirt and a pair of basketball shirts. I would LIKE to be able to buy some real aparrel, but I don't have enough money for than and a new bike (and believe me, I need one). I don't want to think that the guy would be so eliteist as to not take me seriosuly for not wearing propper aparrel, but I don't know. Do you guys have any ideas on how to actually get taken serisouly as a cyclist?

Shortened version: The manager of the LBS got angry at me for asking non offensive questions and wouldn't take me seriously, possibly because I can't affor propper cycling apparel. Do you have any ideas on how to get take seriously as a cyclist?
That's not a question you need to worry about, because there is no answer. Just don't go back to a place that doesn't treat you respectfully.

Well, I thought about going to a different place. The thing is, this is the closest shop, and I like every aspect of it except that guy. I'm not sure, I might switch shops, I may not. I have no idea about how I am going to go about this.

Change shops, and be sure to write them a letter telling them why you did so.

The only thing that speaks in those shops is to whack out an Amex Black Card on their counter. ;)

But I agree with everyone above, shops like that don't deserve the patronage of anyone who believes in service ethics. You have two wheels and two good legs, go elsewhere.

New bike shop, even if you have to go to the next county! I can sorta understand not letting you observe the mechanics due to insurance rules, but he didn't have to be rude about it. A couple of our local bike shops here have remodelled and now you can see everything that the mechanic is doing, and they are close enough to ask questions.

What do you mean about insurance purposes? The way the shop is designed, I can see the mechanic and am pretty close to him if I go over to the "service" part of the store, which IS accessible to customers. However, I think if I just kind of stay there are watch the mechanic, the guy might get irritable again.

Sounds like you ran into what we call in the trade a "Grade-A ass hole"

It's not matter of being taking seriously, it's a matter of the manager being an a$$hole... I would have told him that he can to **** right off....

Even if he doesn't take you serously, there's no good reason for someone to act like that, I don't care who the f#ck they are.

And as for the frame sizes, almost every bike I've looked at comes in more than one size...

Julian G. said:
It's not matter of being taking seriously, it's a matter of the manager being an a$$hole... I would have told him that he can to **** right off....

Even if he doesn't take you serously, there's no good reason for someone to act like that, I don't care who the f#ck they are.

And as for the frame sizes, almost every bike I've looked at comes in more than one size...
Yeah, I think it was him trying to tell me "you don't deserve either of those; f#ck off".

The friend that went with me said that a few moths before when he tried to get a job there, the same guy was a jerk to him. I really like the store, and everyone else is cool, it is just that asshat that makes me angry..

You did not have to apologise to the owner when you used the word "cheap" instead of "inexpensive". He is being over sensitive imho and you should say it as it is and tell him outright not to be so petty.

At the end of the day, when it comes to dealing with stores and other cyclists, I only expect the reasonable. I don't expect to get special service, but I will not tolerate getting ripped off.

I only notice special service being given to those customers who happen to be part of the store's sponsored team.

Other than that, spending loads of cash only guarantees you a smile instead of a grimace during sevice time...nothing else

Your focus should be about your enjoyment rather than about being taken seriously. It would make your shopping experience much much better.

- well , coming onto a public forum and asking for advice about how to be taken seriously by a bike-shop.

- really.

- all the responses above were predictable.

- whats the real point to your posting ?

I would switch shops, but first ask him to accompany me to the parking lot where we would settle things.......I know, I've played too much hockey.

Our bike shop has maintainance seminars...free. The market is too tight to support a holes like that. I know one guy that went in asking if he had anything in the $150 to $200 range. The owner respectfully said he didn't carry anything in that price range and he may want to try the classifieds for a used one or Target, not what are you friggin nuts. Remember, violence solves nothing...but it feels sooo good.

taracor said:
What do you mean about insurance purposes? The way the shop is designed, I can see the mechanic and am pretty close to him if I go over to the "service" part of the store, which IS accessible to customers. However, I think if I just kind of stay there are watch the mechanic, the guy might get irritable again.
I guess I would ask a question about a certain thing that I am trying to learn...
for example, I will eventually want to know how to replace a bottom bracket so I would talk to the mechanic (assuming he was fairly accessible)... tell him what I am doing, what tool would he recommend, and any tips that would make the job a bit easier... don't expect him to be all warm and fuzzy at first, but assuming that they will be selling you the tools to do the job, I don't see why they would have a problem...

pistole said:
- well , coming onto a public forum and asking for advice about how to be taken seriously by a bike-shop.

- really.

It was obviously just a rant. What's your beef?

Well, I thought about going to a different place. The thing is, this is the closest shop, and I like every aspect of it except that guy. I'm not sure, I might switch shops, I may not. I have no idea about how I am going to go about this.
It might be the closest shop but the next closes from that will make you fitter ;)

Your problem is that you look like a fred. With 5% body fat, skin as dark as Giranamo, and legs that look like they were chiseled by Michelangelo, no one will ever question your eliteness. They'll be too scared that you could drop their ass on a highway overpass. Trust me. :D

Bro Deal said:
Your problem is that you look like a fred. With 5% body fat, skin as dark as Giranamo, and legs that look like they were chiseled by Michelangelo, no one will ever question your eliteness. They'll be too scared that you could drop their ass on a highway overpass. Trust me. :D
This sounds like something the LBS manager originally described would've said.

pistole said:

- really.

Well I'll adress these one at a time..

-No, I came onto a public forum and asked becasue I have been lurking here for a while and I like this forum, this just happened to be my first thread, and I plan to stay for a while.

-Yes really.

-Well no, not exactly. I thought myabe I DID say something wrong, I dunno, I only recently started getting into cycling more seriously, so I don't know much about the er.."community" aspect.

-Well reall, just a rant, like somoene said, possibly get corrected if I said soemthing stupid..yeah

Yeah, I don't want beef..

Yeah, in about 10 minutes, Im going to try go over to another shop, which DOES happen to be in another county. Hopefully I don't get lost :rolleyes:

I'm 16, so I suppose that could be the reason for the guy's attitude, but I dunno.

Aparently, the shop I'm gonna try to find has higher prices though. Do you think it's worth it to go to a more expensive shop if I don't have to dea with one guy?

Don't worry about it too much. I guarantee your age influenced the managers behavior. Just keep asking questions, and you are right to avoid the people who don't like answering those questions. One of the perks of this forum is you can sound as dumb as you want and still get responses (just look around). Whatever you do, don'tlet assholes discourage you from your interests

"the only stupid question is the one not asked"