How to go about insuring "Frankenstein"?

Vic

Guest
Hello all.

A couple of years ago I bought a Marin Mill Vally.

A year ago the LBS (where I bought the bike originally)
spotted a crack in the frame. The frame was replaced
under warranty, albeit with a "Fairfax" frame.

Just recently I replaced the wheels with handbuilts,
replaced the forks with Kona cyclocross forks and added
a mechanical disc brake at the front.

All well and good: I've now got a bike which suits me perfectly.

The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...

Anybody got any ideas?

Ta.

Vic wrote:

> The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
> I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Look at off the shelf models you'd be happy to ride away as a
replacement, and there's a price for you.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Vic wrote:
>
>> The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
>> I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...
>>
>> Anybody got any ideas?

> Look at off the shelf models you'd be happy to ride away as a
> replacement, and there's a price for you.

One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

Though of course that will be reflected in the premiums, and the loss
adjuster might ask some rather awkward questions if push came to shove...

Insurance companies might be a lot of things, but "willing to give out
free money at the drop of a hat" isn't one of them.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

> Though of course that will be reflected in the premiums, and the loss
> adjuster might ask some rather awkward questions if push came to shove...
>
> Insurance companies might be a lot of things, but "willing to give out
> free money at the drop of a hat" isn't one of them.

Was just following your advice Pete ;-)

Tony