How to go about insuring "Frankenstein"?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Vic, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    Hello all.

    A couple of years ago I bought a Marin Mill Vally.

    A year ago the LBS (where I bought the bike originally)
    spotted a crack in the frame. The frame was replaced
    under warranty, albeit with a "Fairfax" frame.

    Just recently I replaced the wheels with handbuilts,
    replaced the forks with Kona cyclocross forks and added
    a mechanical disc brake at the front.

    All well and good: I've now got a bike which suits me perfectly.

    The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
    I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...

    Anybody got any ideas?

    Ta.

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Vic wrote:

    > The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
    > I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas?

    Look at off the shelf models you'd be happy to ride away as a
    replacement, and there's a price for you.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Vic wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is: How the hell do I go about insuring it?
    >> I own the damn thing, and *I* don't have a clue what it's worth...
    >>
    >> Anybody got any ideas?

    > Look at off the shelf models you'd be happy to ride away as a
    > replacement, and there's a price for you.

    One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

    Tony

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

    Though of course that will be reflected in the premiums, and the loss
    adjuster might ask some rather awkward questions if push came to shove...

    Insurance companies might be a lot of things, but "willing to give out
    free money at the drop of a hat" isn't one of them.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> One titanium Litespeed price coming up ;-)

    > Though of course that will be reflected in the premiums, and the loss
    > adjuster might ask some rather awkward questions if push came to shove...
    >
    > Insurance companies might be a lot of things, but "willing to give out
    > free money at the drop of a hat" isn't one of them.

    Was just following your advice Pete ;-)

    Tony