How to grease threads?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Is there a method to greasing threads on a bolt? Is it sufficient to simply put a smear on one
    portion or one side of the bolt and let the turning/tightening motion spread the grease around? Or
    should you spread the grease around the entire circumference of the bolt before inserting and
    tightening?

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    >Or should you spread the grease around the entire circumference of the bolt
    before inserting and tightening?

    Yes.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 08 Feb 2003 02:25:54 GMT, [email protected] (MikeYankee) wrote:

    >>Or should you spread the grease around the entire circumference of the bolt
    >before inserting and tightening?
    >
    >Yes.

    I've always just touched a little grease to one spot on the first couple of threads and depended
    upon threading in the bolt to distribute the grease. Before I started working on bikes (last
    thirteen years or so) this also seemed to work on the race cars I was building and maintaining.

  4. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is there a method to greasing threads on a bolt?

    All the way around, but only on the top surface of the thread ramp. Any grease you place on the
    underside of the threads only serves to attract dirt and increase the weight of your bike.

    A stiff bristled 000 brush is the best tool to use to apply the grease. A bench mounted 6" lighted
    magnifier is also helpful.