How to I adjust my STI levers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paulus, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    One of my levers is coming loose from the handlebar. MY instructions are in 6 languages - none is
    English so I am having trouble interpreting the pictures!

    Does anyone have a computerised manual (or can they scan in the english version and email me?)

    My address is halienatihugdotcomdotau

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. bigfloppyllama

    bigfloppyllama New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2003
    I'd like to know this as well. Is there a way to retighten the shifters without completely removing the bar tape?

  3. Michael S.

    Michael S. Guest

  4. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On 10 Aug 2003 11:53:37 +0950, bigfloppyllama <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like to know this as well. Is there a way to retighten the shifters without completely removing
    >the bar tape?

    If you pull back the front of the hood a little, you will see a channel where you slip a 5mm allen
    wrench in to tighten the lever.

    You want to make sure they are good and tight. If they are loose and you hit a pothole while
    riding the hoods, the lever can slip down on the bar thus pulling on the brake cable and locking
    up the brakes.

    Happend to me, luckily it was the rear brake.

  5. On 10 Aug 2003 11:53:37 +0950, bigfloppyllama <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paulus wrote:
    > > One of my levers is coming loose from the handlebar. MY instructions are in 6 languages - none
    > > is English so I am having trouble interpreting the pictures! Does anyone have a computerised
    > > manual (or can they scan in the english version and email me?) My address is
    > > halienatihugdotcomdotau Thanks
    >

    >I'd like to know this as well. Is there a way to retighten the shifters without completely removing
    >the bar tape?

    There's a hex nut accessible via a slot, from the front of the lever. You'll see a small groove that
    disappears behind the rubber. Slide the hex key in there, and you'll feel it engage a screw head.

    I can't remember what size it is, I think it's a 6mm.

    Barry

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One of my levers is coming loose from the handlebar. MY instructions are
    in
    > 6 languages - none is English so I am having trouble interpreting the pictures!
    >
    > Does anyone have a computerised manual (or can they scan in the english version and email me?)
    >
    > My address is halienatihugdotcomdotau

    Um, regardless of the language (there *is* an English version in there), how about looking at
    the picture?

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  7. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    I figured it out by investigating the actual unit....no pics on my instructions showed an allen key
    and the slot.

    Thanks for you help though :)

    news:[email protected]...