how to install a bicycle parking rack at home

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> writes:

> The third case was not much better in design than a toaster
> rack, and they almost put it too close to the building to use
> it at all. As it was, the drop off in front of the rack made
> for some difficult times for the users.

I hate running into those racks. There are a number of
businesses around here where the owners had the insight to
install a bike rack, but not the insight to notice that it was
installed so close to a wall that you could only park one bike at
it (parallel to the wall). I don't know whether to thank them
for installing a rack at all, or to complain because they did
such a lousy job.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 22 Feb 2007 12:04:57 -0800, "Eric Bragas" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for all the advice, but has anybody actually installed a
>>parking rack? Seems like only one person has actual experience with
>>this.

> Yes, but not at a house. None of them would seem to apply to your
> situation. In two cases we used relatively modern designs with
> additional stand alone units that attached at the bottom bracket or
> anything approaching a bottom bracket. Since we put all of them into
> fresh concrete, it isn't exactly the same. The third case was not much
> better in design than a toaster rack, and they almost put it too close
> to the building to use it at all. As it was, the drop off in front of
> the rack made for some difficult times for the users.
>
> I just took my Bike Friday up to my office...
>
> One problem we had using a commercial rack is that a lot of the
> contacts, other than toaster rack styles, wanted to talk to someone
> representing sales of at least ten or so, better yet, a municipality
> buying a lot more. One rack didn't get a lot of return phone calls
> from some of the firms. We got ours from a business that distributed
> outdoor benches and such.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

I got mine from XS Cargo. $18. holds 2 bikes facing each other. It is on
my patio. Called "Stamina"

Stamina ph.no. 1800-375-7520 (only good in the US)
Google search will not find it.

In article <[email protected]>,
Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

> I think he's only slightly over the top there;

No, not really. The West coast has a certain allure, especially
during winter months, to itinerant druggies from colder points east.

> the core message
> (indoor storage is the only reliable option) is accurate, though there
> may be a bit of hyperbole in the societal commentary.

Google on keywords: "Vancouver Downtown Eastside" and follow
up on the links, and you'll know that I'm not kidding.
These druggies really are desparados. Y'see, what's happened
is: as China and other newly industrializing Asian nations
develop, they put a big demand on scrap metals to assimilate
and re-market.

We've already in this new year had a number of people die from
getting zapped, trying to steal copper wire from high-voltage
electric utility substations. They're even stealing the bronze
gravemarkers from cemeteries, just to feed their drug habits.
I once caught a guy trying to rip off the aluminum gutters off
our detached garage. These people are truly desperate. If they
can scrape $5 together, that's a rock that'll get them through
one more day.

>I doubt that
> he's kidding, though I have to observe that I knew more than a few
> potheads back in the '70s whose propensity for sociopathic behavior
> was every bit as problematic as many of the meth and crack heads of
> the present day.

Up here and back then, potheads were a much more mellow and
sociably considerate than today's breed of addicts, inflicted
on us by certain influential groups who kyboshed our former
happy state of affairs, moved it to their own inland quarters,
and replaced ours with a bunch of crappy chemical drugs. Back
then, potheads/hashheads didn't break into parked cars just to
steal a few coins out of the cupholder, or whack people on the
street for drug money.

> Every abuser's reaction is different; it's foolish
> to assume that your neighbor is harmless because he just smokes lots
> of homegrown dope rather than snorting nose candy.

Usually when potheads go nutz it's because they're
combining with other, chemical drugs. And it's that
other stuff that sets them off. If they'd just stick
to the strait & narrow of organic THC, they'd be okay,
happily kicking back in their Laz-E-Boys with their
headphones on, listening to Quadraphenia, and generally
staying out of trouble.

Anyways, there's a big, semi-underground scrap metal market
going on. It's fed by appetites for raw materials by
developing industrial nations, and desperate drug addicts.
And bikes of any quality are at risk, as is any metal just
left lying around. Mark my words.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Thanks for the assistance. I called them just now and the lady that
answered the phone said they don't sell bicycle parking racks. When I
mentioned XS Cargo, she had no idea what I was talking about. Any
idea what the make and model is to that gadget you have? Thanks again.

"Eric Bragas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the assistance. I called them just now and the lady that
> answered the phone said they don't sell bicycle parking racks. When I
> mentioned XS Cargo, she had no idea what I was talking about. Any
> idea what the make and model is to that gadget you have? Thanks again.

That was the no. on the Stamina bike rack sorry.
I have seen them around though.
I can keep my eye open
I may get more info off the label too. Give me a moment.

Could use two of the huge hooks home depot has for $5 and hang it by its
front wheels?

> Could use two of the huge hooks home depot has for $5 and hang it by its
> front wheels?

Sure, if I had somewhere to hang it. My two options are: (1) sell all
3 bikes, or (2) lock them up safely outside. I've considered a
storage shed, but I like the bike rack idea better.

Here it is
Model 60-0001
Serial 0001-100725
Fax 417 889-8064
Is called Stamina Guaranteed Performance
www.staminaproducts.com

I did not check it out. This rack is 2-3 years old.

"Eric Bragas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Could use two of the huge hooks home depot has for $5 and hang it by its
>> front wheels?

> Sure, if I had somewhere to hang it. My two options are: (1) sell all
> 3 bikes, or (2) lock them up safely outside. I've considered a
> storage shed, but I like the bike rack idea better.

"Eric Bragas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Could use two of the huge hooks home depot has for $5 and hang it by its
>> front wheels?

> Sure, if I had somewhere to hang it. My two options are: (1) sell all
> 3 bikes, or (2) lock them up safely outside. I've considered a
> storage shed, but I like the bike rack idea better.

Well, that is weird. The site does not have bike racks.

Werehatrack wrote:

> I have to observe that I knew more than a few
> potheads back in the '70s whose propensity for sociopathic behavior
> was every bit as problematic as many of the meth and crack heads of
> the present day. Every abuser's reaction is different; it's foolish
> to assume that your neighbor is harmless because he just smokes lots
> of homegrown dope rather than snorting nose candy.

This makes me wonder if _you're_ on crack. With all due respect, or
course.

I've lived among potheads, and I've lived among crackheads. There's
no comparison IMO. It's like the difference between video game
addicts and smack addicts.

Chalo

javascript:resetfacets('http://performancebike.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&lbc=performancebike&uid=560976549&ts=custom&w=floor%20bike%20rack&af=&isort=score&method=and')

that is suppose to be a link at performancbike.com. Just look up floor bike
rack and you will get 4 choices. Mine is something like the Allen
"Bike rack" search there and you get other kinds.

On Feb 21, 11:15 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2007 12:31:20 -0800, "Eric Bragas" <[email protected]>
> may have said:
>
> >On Feb 21, 12:04 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Mount them on the wall or ceiling inside your unit.

> >Three bicycles inside a condo? That's definitely the easier solution,
> >but takes up too much living space. I've already eliminated this
> >option.

> Consider also the effects of weather on the bikes. Will they be worth
> riding when you need them, if they aren't stored in a shelter of some
> sort?

What's the weather like down there? My bike has spent over 10 years
outside in southern Canadian weather with no problems.

On Feb 23, 3:52 pm, "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think this one is neat if you have a parking lot.http://bikerack.ca/lock_up_1.html
>
> Canadian co. though

All the better :)

I've seen these used at Place de Portage (large govt complex) in
Gatineau (Hull) QC. and they seem to work well. The ones I have seen
were in a sort of free-stand carrosel arrangement and held probably
6-8 (maybe even 12?) bikes. Still there is the need for a sturdy
block of cement or something as an anchor. The ones I saw were on a
terrace (wide sidewalk?).

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada