How to keep bottle going through bottom of cage???

John Crankshaw

Guest
I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
this without ruining the fit of the bottle.

Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

John

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:10:14 +0000, John Crankshaw did issue forth:

> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>
> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

How about using a cable tie to keep the bottom of the cage from spreading apart?

You stole my idea......;-)

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:10:14 +0000, John Crankshaw did issue forth:
>
> > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars.
Can't
> > seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent this without ruining the
fit
> > of the bottle.
> >
> > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
>
> How about using a cable tie to keep the bottom of the cage from spreading apart?
>
> --
> Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

---

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>
> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
>
> John

If something's not working right, I always like to use some duct tape.

> If something's not working right, I always like to use some duct tape.

Yeah, that was my solution...if you wrap an assload of duct tape (carefully) around the cage, your
bottle will stay in, but as an added bonus, you'll be able to pull off and use some tape if you need
it on the trail. Old timers do this on their seatpost, which looks stupid (and damn if I paid all
that money for a RaceFace post just to cover up the logo...Ha!).

Remember...if it moves, and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move, and it's
supposed to, use WD-40. You only really need two tools.

Chris

John Crankshaw wrote:

> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>
> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
>
> John

Get a hydration pack and use the bottle to clean chains. <G>

Barry

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:52:51 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
"@thankyou.com> wrote:

>John Crankshaw wrote:
>>
>> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
>> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
>> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>>
>> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
>>
>> John
>
>Get a hydration pack and use the bottle to clean chains. <G>
>
>Barry

or run a pc of duct tape (if you can find any! Thanks for the fake advice MR president!) between
the two rails, effectively giving it a closed base, then get a hydration pak, and use the bottle
and cage for some sort of sport drink. Or beer!

Dave

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>
> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

I'll bet you have an aluminum bottle cage. If so, consider replacing it with a heavier duty
stainless steel one like those from Performance, Salsa and others. I've been using stainless
steel cages ever since my first aluminum one broke and have NEVER lost a bottle (or bottle style
battery pack).

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
>
> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

Carry a Camelbak.

JD