How to keep bottle going through bottom of cage???

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Crankshaw, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    this without ruining the fit of the bottle.

    Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

    John

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:10:14 +0000, John Crankshaw did issue forth:

    > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    > this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >
    > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

    How about using a cable tie to keep the bottom of the cage from spreading apart?

  3. Firewalker

    Firewalker Guest

    You stole my idea......;-)

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:10:14 +0000, John Crankshaw did issue forth:
    >
    > > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars.
    Can't
    > > seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent this without ruining the
    fit
    > > of the bottle.
    > >
    > > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
    >
    > How about using a cable tie to keep the bottom of the cage from spreading apart?
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

    ---

  4. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    > this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >
    > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
    >
    > John

    If something's not working right, I always like to use some duct tape.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > If something's not working right, I always like to use some duct tape.

    Yeah, that was my solution...if you wrap an assload of duct tape (carefully) around the cage, your
    bottle will stay in, but as an added bonus, you'll be able to pull off and use some tape if you need
    it on the trail. Old timers do this on their seatpost, which looks stupid (and damn if I paid all
    that money for a RaceFace post just to cover up the logo...Ha!).

    Remember...if it moves, and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move, and it's
    supposed to, use WD-40. You only really need two tools.

    Chris

  6. John Crankshaw wrote:

    > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    > this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >
    > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
    >
    > John

    Get a hydration pack and use the bottle to clean chains. <G>

    Barry

  7. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:52:51 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
    "@thankyou.com> wrote:

    >John Crankshaw wrote:
    >>
    >> I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    >> through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    >> this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >>
    >> Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?
    >>
    >> John
    >
    >Get a hydration pack and use the bottle to clean chains. <G>
    >
    >Barry

    or run a pc of duct tape (if you can find any! Thanks for the fake advice MR president!) between
    the two rails, effectively giving it a closed base, then get a hydration pak, and use the bottle
    and cage for some sort of sport drink. Or beer!

    Dave

  8. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    > this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >
    > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

    I'll bet you have an aluminum bottle cage. If so, consider replacing it with a heavier duty
    stainless steel one like those from Performance, Salsa and others. I've been using stainless
    steel cages ever since my first aluminum one broke and have NEVER lost a bottle (or bottle style
    battery pack).

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've got a bottle cage on the back of my seatpost. In rough country, the bottle sometimes slips
    > through the cage, spreading the bottom bars. Can't seem to adjust the cage by bending to prevent
    > this without ruining the fit of the bottle.
    >
    > Any cool way to keep my bottle in the cage?

    Carry a Camelbak.

    JD