How to keep face warm in 30 Degrees

Bill Baka wrote:

> >> Goggles may help ... though they're a bit unsightly. For example:
> >> http://www.scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3081228]

> Those would be great if I could get a tinted pair for the day and clear
> for the night (no UV at night anyway). I do like to keep the IR out
> since around here it routinely goes over 105 and my eyes get hot, the
> retinas, and it is uncomfortable. Polarized keeps down the sky glare and
> also kills 90% of sun reflections off of car windows and chrome.
> Bill

These goggles can be worn over glasses, so just wear your own favorite
sunglasses. - Tom

chris c wrote:
> I am fine in the cold weather except for my face. I layer and use a barrier
> jacket by Pearl (awesome stuff). The only thing is my face. I wear a
> balaclava, but it doesn't help much when it is a little windy. It's the
> exposed parts. The head is fine so i don't need a helmet cover. I know ,
> don't ride in these temps, right?

30F is barely cool! (YMMV). However, many years ago one of the older
Swiss mountaineers I worked with tumed me on the the trick of applying
a heavy cream to the exposed skin. The grease acts as an insulation
layer, keeps the skin MUCH warmer, and keeps it from drying out.
Vaseline works, but is messy. Piz Buin, if you can find it, works
really well, as does Eucerine. Avoid any lotion that has an alcohol
carrier that evaporates. Just about anything in a pump bottle is too
thin ... you want a layer that has some body to it.
Try it, you'll be surprised at the difference

//jtp//

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:13:08 +0000, chris c wrote:

> I am fine in the cold weather except for my face. I layer and use a barrier
> jacket by Pearl (awesome stuff). The only thing is my face. I wear a
> balaclava, but it doesn't help much when it is a little windy. It's the
> exposed parts. The head is fine so i don't need a helmet cover. I know ,
> don't ride in these temps, right?

I don't find 30F to be all that cold. I do wear a skullcap below around
40-45F though.

You could do what many Appalachian mountain folks and New Englanders do --
grow a beard.

Matt O.

30 is not that cold, but it was windy that day. That is what makes it cold.

news:p[email protected]...

tom wrote:

>>Those would be great if I could get a tinted pair for the day and clear
>>for the night (no UV at night anyway). I do like to keep the IR out
>>since around here it routinely goes over 105 and my eyes get hot, the
>>retinas, and it is uncomfortable. Polarized keeps down the sky glare and
>>also kills 90% of sun reflections off of car windows and chrome.
>>Bill

> These goggles can be worn over glasses, so just wear your own favorite
> sunglasses. - Tom

I wonder if I can get IR stick on tape like they have on some house
windows to keep my eyes cool in the sumer. I might wind up with some
weird goggles, but very functional.
Bill

Johhny Two Pedals wrote:
> chris c wrote:
>> I am fine in the cold weather except for my face. I layer and use a barrier
>> jacket by Pearl (awesome stuff). The only thing is my face. I wear a
>> balaclava, but it doesn't help much when it is a little windy. It's the
>> exposed parts. The head is fine so i don't need a helmet cover. I know ,
>> don't ride in these temps, right?

> 30F is barely cool! (YMMV). However, many years ago one of the older
> Swiss mountaineers I worked with tumed me on the the trick of applying
> a heavy cream to the exposed skin. The grease acts as an insulation
> layer, keeps the skin MUCH warmer, and keeps it from drying out.
> Vaseline works, but is messy. Piz Buin, if you can find it, works
> really well, as does Eucerine. Avoid any lotion that has an alcohol
> carrier that evaporates. Just about anything in a pump bottle is too
> thin ... you want a layer that has some body to it.
> Try it, you'll be surprised at the difference!

It doesn't have to be cream. Vaseline, hand lotion (don't go outside
until after the alcohol has dried), even lip balm will do it in a pinch.

Pat