How to keep the 'boys' warm

SilentShifter

Aug 23, 2005
I have the Perl Izumi Amphib Tights and they keep everything warm except between my legs.

What can I wear under them that will keep them warm but won't chafe or get in the way?

Also, please tell me where I can buy them (provide link or similar)

Thank you

You get cold down there even with am fib tights? Never had that problem. They are good for me on the road until about 10 F @ 20 mph in 20-25 mph headwind.

Do you wear shorts or bibs under the tights for an extra layer of protection?

A low tech solution that I use when I do the arm/leg warmer/vest/ long finger gloves uniform setup is a 1 gallon plastic bag (soft, non ziploc kind) or shopping bag around the jewels. Works as nice vapor barrier and a 100 % windblock. It extends the comfort range of that setup (with a skull cap) to 38/40 F.

I'm not into the underwear thing, only padded shorts for me.

cheers, j

I just take a heavy hunting sock and cradle the whole package in it. I have to juggle things around a little when I first take off to get it set up right, but it works for me. I call it the "**** sock". It's fun walking into convenience stores with it on too, the chicks sort of turn red.....I can't tell if they want me, or want to run away. They probably want to run and tell their freinds what a freakshow they saw in the store today....

Thanks for the laugh Doc! :D

Road Demon I've never thought of that either. I do use sandwhich bags in my shoes to keep the toes warm in the cold though. That works great.

I get cold easily for some reason. Normally I see everyone wearing all this light clothing and I am bundled up in amphib, legwarmers, armwarmers, etc. Not sure why, its always been this way.:(

SilentShifter said:
I get cold easily for some reason. Normally I see everyone wearing all this light clothing and I am bundled up in amphib, legwarmers, armwarmers, etc. Not sure why, its always been this way.:(

Don't worry, I'm like that too. I see guys out in 50° temperatures wearing just shorts and a jacket, while I'm still chilly wearing fleece-lined tights, neoprene booties, a heavy jacked, insulated gloves, and a balaclava.

JJakucyk said:
Don't worry, I'm like that too. I see guys out in 50° temperatures wearing just shorts and a jacket, while I'm still chilly wearing fleece-lined tights, neoprene booties, a heavy jacked, insulated gloves, and a balaclava.
Thanks for the reply, glad to know I am not alone. :)

The same thing happened to me this past weekend where I was in full cold weather gear and everyone else was wearing summer gear - they all looked at me like I was insane:eek:

I will say that I've shown up to a ride or two feeling very overdressed, but when we finished, I was the only one not shivering and complaining about being cold. Maybe there's a macho thing to it, and not everyone is really as hot blooded as they seem. ;)

SilentShifter said:
No freaking way! I just found those and ordered some a few minutes ago!:eek:

Glad to know they work:D

I have some fleece lined tights (Pearl Izumi) with a built in chamois, but the wind can still get through. The winter briefs with the wind-stopper fabric in the fron works wonders.:cool: