How To Keep Your Muddy Bike In An Apartment?

GoodOldWalt

Sep 20, 2015
Salt Lake City
Hiya guys,

Recently have encountered a problem with keeping my bike in my apartment. Meaning, after wilder (more water & mud and dirt) adventures, along with positive emotions and exhaustion I tend to bring home (a quite small apartment in the city) a lot of mud and dirt that is attached to my bike. I've tried putting towels under the bike and cleaning it down as much as I can, but it is just too messy and I don't really fancy cleaning the room every day just because the bike has a tendency to "dust it up". Any ideas? Some sort of indoor storing solutions?

Thanks!

There was a thread here a couple days ago where something like this was talked about. The thread showed a bike cover for indoors and had a link to the website where they sell them.

Failing that I would try to wash it outside the best I can and then dry it off with an old towel or something similar. At least it's what I plan to do if I have to start keeping my bike in my new apartment.

Given the exhaustion from the ride I would have left the bike outside my apartment and just cover it with something. I will then clean it the following morning. I wish I can think of something and learn from you guys because that habit of mine is not good I know. I should be taking care of my bike and keep it safe from thieves

Susimi said:
There was a thread here a couple days ago where something like this was talked about. The thread showed a bike cover for indoors and had a link to the website where they sell them.

Failing that I would try to wash it outside the best I can and then dry it off with an old towel or something similar. At least it's what I plan to do if I have to start keeping my bike in my new apartment.
Do you by any chance remember what the product was called?

What I ended up doing was just getting some cheap, indoor/outdoor floor mats. I got the kind that are meant to sit shoes on, because they're a rubbery material and have a lip around the outer edge that keeps any mud or water from spreading. When they start getting too grungy I just bring them outside and give them a good shake to get all the bits and pieces off.

I also got an in expensive floor runner that stretches from my front door to where I sit my bike, so I wheel it along that and it keeps the mess off the actual floor and a bit more contained.

Well if you are doing MTB or cyclocross events you should wash your bike at intervals during the event and definitely wash it immediately after the event finishes but before you come home. You don't want to bring dirt into your apartment because it also brings creepy crawlies and their eggs in. So: definitely wash it spotlessly before you bring it in the apartment.

Thanks a ton

Bob

GoodOldWalt said:
Are these the ones someone was mentioning? Anyone had any experience before?
http://www.amazon.com/Velo-Sock-Indoor-Bicycle-Cover/dp/B0127F84LM
They are the ones that I mentioned!

I have not tried them before but to me they do not look all that good, but that is just my opinion. They might work really well, but me being kinda old styled in my ways I'm not too keen on new sorts of things haha!

GoodOldWalt said:
Are these the ones someone was mentioning? Anyone had any experience before?
http://www.amazon.com/Velo-Sock-Indoor-Bicycle-Cover/dp/B0127F84LM

I did get one of those previously, but to be honest, I found it more trouble than it was worth. The cover itself got filthy in a fairly short space of time and it didn't seem to be worth $70 at all. I now use just an old tarpaulin on the floor to keep the mud off, and clean the bike when its dried off a bit. It works just as well if not better, is less work and a fraction of the cost.

If there's some place near your apartment where you can attach a garden hose and spray your bike with water. This should make short work of any mud that is attached to your bike and the wheel spokes. Then, it's just a matter of letting your bike dry a bit before taking it into your apartment. I'm fortunate enough to live in a house and have access to a few amenities such as a garden hose. This is how I go about cleaning up my bikes before storing them indoors.

I've always kept my bikes in the house, and I have to say I haven't really experienced any major issues with leaving mud trails everywhere.

You obviously don't wheel the bike through with muddy wheels, I pick mine up and place it on the mat, wait for it to dry and then use a fine nail brush to clean the areas, no big deal.

I just simply keep it outside in the garage however occasionally maybe once a week I take it inside if it is muddy and then wash it in the bathroom.