how to know when its time to go pro

jrstang473

Mar 6, 2005
Well guys the last few months ive ben trying to make some decisions on what i want to do with my future.Im 25 going on 26 this yr.Just started cycling here a few months back.Ive have been training every other day and seeing some really good gains.Right know im able to ride 40-50 miles and sustain 20-23mph depending on wind and what not.I know i have a long way to go and its a hard one.But im not sure how long i should wait to make my first move since im getting older every day. Its always be a dream of mine to make it pro just never had the motivation or will till now.Some of my friends say im to old, but im not willing to take that answer.What im looking to know is how long do you guys think i should train before i start trying to get into the race scene.One of my friends is saying i need atleast a yr no matter how good iam for my body to get adjusted ? Thanks in advance

jrstang473 said:
Well guys the last few months ive ben trying to make some decisions on what i want to do with my future.Im 25 going on 26 this yr.Just started cycling here a few months back.Ive have been training every other day and seeing some really good gains.Right know im able to ride 40-50 miles and sustain 20-23mph depending on wind and what not.I know i have a long way to go and its a hard one.But im not sure how long i should wait to make my first move since im getting older every day. Its always be a dream of mine to make it pro just never had the motivation or will till now.Some of my friends say im to old, but im not willing to take that answer.What im looking to know is how long do you guys think i should train before i start trying to get into the race scene.One of my friends is saying i need atleast a yr no matter how good iam for my body to get adjusted ? Thanks in advance

With no race experience and you just started riding at 25, i would think it's to late. if your serious get a coach.

Well,

the first indication of when to turn pro is when you are winning lots of amatuer races and all the other riders in those races aren't able to race at your level. The other sign is when you get asked to ride for a pro/semi pro team because they've seen you performances and think you are good enough. Bare in mind Damiano Cunego who won the Giro last year is only 23 years old. Most pro riders will have been riding and racing at a very high level from their junior or very ealy senior years. There are very few cyclists who turn pro at 25/26. However saying that if you really have the talent then you could do it. It may be worth while going to have a full exercise test which measure VO2Max by analying the gas you inhale/exhale. This will tell you if you have a big enough engine to be a pro. You would be looking for a VO2Max of 70 plus to be a pro cycling and a high power output 400 plus.

Before you set you heart on being a pro cyclist i would advice that you actually take part in some road races and find out if you enjoy it. If you have plenty of success go over to belgium and enter some races over there and see how you get on against the european amatuers.

If you have the talent you will probably find your first 4 cat race easy. I would go for it and have a go at a race, assuming you have some fitness, and see what happens. You might change your mind once you exerperience what is involved in a road race.

Good Luck

All I could say right now is go for it! You will never regret trying and failing.

With that said, slow down a bit. First off get your racing license and start winning races. Unless you are consistently winning at the Cat 4 level you won't make it to Cat 3, 2, 1...pro.

Get yourself a coach, start winning races, and see where that goes. Also, if you get to the Cat 1/2 level make sure you are in the right races. With your late start visibility is key.

Watch the movie The Hard Road and think about what it will really take to become a pro. You may love cycling as a amateur, but will you love it when it's your job?

mac_220 said:
Well,

the first indication of when to turn pro is when you are winning lots of amatuer races and all the other riders in those races aren't able to race at your level. The other sign is when you get asked to ride for a pro/semi pro team because they've seen you performances and think you are good enough. Bare in mind Damiano Cunego who won the Giro last year is only 23 years old. Most pro riders will have been riding and racing at a very high level from their junior or very ealy senior years. There are very few cyclists who turn pro at 25/26. However saying that if you really have the talent then you could do it. It may be worth while going to have a full exercise test which measure VO2Max by analying the gas you inhale/exhale. This will tell you if you have a big enough engine to be a pro. You would be looking for a VO2Max of 70 plus to be a pro cycling and a high power output 400 plus.

Before you set you heart on being a pro cyclist i would advice that you actually take part in some road races and find out if you enjoy it. If you have plenty of success go over to belgium and enter some races over there and see how you get on against the european amatuers.

If you have the talent you will probably find your first 4 cat race easy. I would go for it and have a go at a race, assuming you have some fitness, and see what happens. You might change your mind once you exerperience what is involved in a road race.

Good Luck

Wooo....slow down here. You are talking about going pro and you have never raced:confused: ??????? Racing is alot more than just riding fast. Report back after a few races.

sgort2000 said:
Wooo....slow down here. You are talking about going pro and you have never raced:confused: ??????? Racing is alot more than just riding fast. Report back after a few races.
Sorry what i meant to say was start entering races, what i need to look for a baseline to make sure i will be able to keep up and not be all stuck in the back.I wasnt meaning like trying to do the tour of france at the moment or anything,lol.Although that would be a really good goal to try and make someday.

Agree with the others here that you need to focus on moving up the USCF Categories before even thinking about getting an offer from a pro team. Getting to the CAT 1 level is a very difficult and worthy goal in itself.

Recommend you join a local race club right away so you can start doing the spring training rides and races with them. You may find the reality of racing is quite a bit different than your dreams. And by all means, don't quit your day job!

jrstang473 said:
Sorry what i meant to say was start entering races, what i need to look for a baseline to make sure i will be able to keep up and not be all stuck in the back.I wasnt meaning like trying to do the tour of france at the moment or anything,lol.Although that would be a really good goal to try and make someday.

I don't know what the racing speeds are like in the US but in the UK they are quite fast even at 4th CAT level. It's failry likely you will get dropped by the main group in the first few races. Look at them as being a learning experience as it takes time to learn how to move through the pack, where to position yourselve, have the confidence to over take on the outside on sharp corners etc. Don't loose confidence as it's something most riders go through. I was certainly surprised when i started racing as a junior at how fast even a junior race can go.

Get riding with a club, get a good training plan from a respectable coach and get out there and start racing/traininng.

jrstang473 said:

The was a pro back in the late 80's early 90's. He raced for Coors light i believe. He didnt start racing until he was 28. I think his name was Mike Engleman!

dhk said:
itself.

Recommend you join a local race club right away so you can start doing the spring training rides and races with them. You may find the reality of racing is quite a bit different than your dreams. And by all means, don't quit your day job!

I agree, i race for fun an it's pressure. i like to race but i don't like what comes with it. travel,sleeping in Hotels,sharing rooms with mates, eating out etc. these things take the fun out of it. then theres family and friends did you win?? they see how much you ride and think the others don't train hard as well. there is a lot of strong guys out there Cat 4-5 riding at Cat 1-2 level.
Then theres the pressure of just training. you train days when you don't feel like it so paying the coach is not a waste of money. right now im considering dropping my coaching chilling out in the race scene and just ride my bike.all the other stuff is taking the fun out of it.

the more i think about im probably going to just keep up my training start getting in alot og group rides and just finish this yr out between training hard and group rides,then next yr take a look at what i want from their. I guess its alot easier to decide wha i want after ive had a yr to decide,thanks for the replys.

You get it all wrong!!!! Is not what you decide to be a pro or not. It is not something you choose to become out of the blue. You have to be starting "racing," not group riding, very young. In your teens. You race with the amarteurs and to advance to top of your region or state races within couple of years. Even if you decide to race, taking up your first race, it has no bearing to your desire or ability to turn pro. That's because EVERYONE can sign up and race the CAT5 or CITIZIEN race. Those races are for newbies. First timer. You will not have any idea how "training to race" and racing are like until you have been racing for couple of years. A lot guys who have been racing in the novice and amarteur levels may not have won any races at all. Winning a race is hard, mentally, physically, and tactically. Here is a snapshot of an above average cat 4 (guys who has more than 10 race experiences) training plan. Train close to 200 miles a week. 12+ hours a week. Off season or Winter milage around 2000 miles over the course of 2 to 3 months. Do about 20 races a year and couple of more important ones. Adding a full time job, you will find yourself barely having enough time to do ANY other activities other than work, rest, training, and racing.

jrstang473 said:
the more i think about im probably going to just keep up my training start getting in alot og group rides and just finish this yr out between training hard and group rides,then next yr take a look at what i want from their. I guess its alot easier to decide wha i want after ive had a yr to decide,thanks for the replys.

jrstang473

If I've read this thread correctly, you really mean "when should I race for the first time ?" (ie locally).

The answer is - as soon as you can !

There are plenty of grades, and you can only find out if you enjoy it, and are any good, by giving it a go.

Join a club, get a licence (even a "day licence" if available) and ride in the grade that seems will suit you best.

I remember my first race, at age 39, just earlier this year. Raced Cat 3 and loved it ! Go for it ! :D

Agree with the last two posts. You'll know it's "time to go pro" when you start winning most everything locally, then at state and national levels. You could be the 1 out of 1000 amateur racers that have the ability, desire, time and money to get a pro contract, but you'll never know until you get out there. Join a club, or enter a citizen's race on your own as soon as you can.

jrstang473 said:
Right know im able to ride 40-50 miles and sustain 20-23mph depending on wind and what not.

You should be able to stay with Cat5 and maybe Cat4 riders around my area. I know it's not all about pedaling fast, but you will eventually get some experience.

First off you will have to do things in certain order...and you cannot skip any of the steps.

1-first you need to get fit.
2-You will need the proper equipment
3-You will need to get a racing license and start as a cat 5.
4-Next you need race experience! This is very important
5-Next you will need to make steady progress and ride with riders that are faster and stronger than you.
6-You will need to win races and get points to move up through the categories.
7-You need to dominate locally(this shouldn't be hard if you are serious...but it wont happen overnite!)
8-Then you need to dominate regionally with a high level regional team
9-Then you need to do well at some races nationally at the elite level
10-At this point many of the elite riders and teams will atleast know who you are...and perhaps you will get picked up to go ride for a division 3 'pro' domestic racing team making very little money. You have to pay your dues ya know!
11-If you are persistent and work your ass off and don't quit then you will make it. You are not too old!!!!

I suggest that you watch the movies 'The Hard Road' and 'Pro' both by Jamie Paolinetti. This will give you some insight on what it is going to be like up there. One of the best riders on that NetZero team(featured in the movie) was Graeme Miller...and he was winning races at age 42.

Some riders will go through these various steps rather quickly...while others may take 5-7 years.

Andy Bishop(former pro with 7-11) was racing in the Tour de France less than 2 years removed from being a cat 4.

There are a handful of current domestic pros that went from cat 4 to cat 1 within 2 years or less...a few of them did this even while working a job.

Ken Walker won the 'elite' nationals road race last year at age 42.

Kent Bostick made the olympic cycling team(Atlanta games) at the age of 43

Eric Wohlburg(current domestic pro) is nearing his 40th birthday...and he also came into cycling with a late start. Eric said that everyone should have a good 10 years before they get fried mentally..no matter when you start. Most cyclist become fried mentally long before their body is fried physically. Many that started racing pro at younger ages...usually burn out of the sport at younger ages than those that start later. Lemond raced since he was a kid and was fried by age 32. Alexi Grewal(former olympic gold medalist and professional) was fried 'mentally' at a very early age...long before his body was toasted due to age.

Fred Rodriguez(current pro) said in the movie 'Pro'...."The guys that made it were not necessarily the best riders....The guys that made it were the ones that didn't quit''

Tony Rominger was your age when he took up cycling....and he later went on to set the world hour record....plus he was a big rival to Miguel Indurain in the Tour de France. I also think he won a few Vuelta's. Alex Zulle was another pro that started a bit late.

Linda Jackson, a former woman's professional started cycling in her early 30's and went on to become one of the best in the world. She later retired approaching her 40th birthday.

Pat McCallion started cycling in his mid 30's...and within a few short years from being a cat 5 he was wearing the rainbow jersey of World Master's Time Trial Champion. Just goes to show how quickly you can progress when you get serious.

My best advice to you is the same advice someone once told Steve Martin when he was trying to make it as a comedian many years ago...and that advice is..."BECOME SO GOOD THAT THEY CANNOT IGNORE YOU!". Write that on your bathroom mirror and read it every day. If you just concentrate on this then everything else will take care of itself.

It is my dream to become a World Champion in the Time Trial as a Master's rider...and to also do a few of the top domestic races here in the USA. I am working like hell too. I'm 37..and plan to be a cat 2 by next year.

Hope to see you on the start line at Philly in a few years. I'll be there looking for you!

thanks oneradtec,for the reply. I would have to say that is one of the best ive heard so far. Im trying my best to train hard and not get into over training.Ive read the cyclist bible a cuple of times now and it has alot of very good tips. People like you help people who have the will and dicipline get where they want to go.Alot of people probably look down on me for my lack of exp and my age and probably think its a long shot. But im looking at it as a life changing event at best on the outcome. Ive got a few friends who are in the pro bmx circuit and a friend who is in the top 25 for figure skating and they definately help me with motivation and not giving up. Not sure how long its going to take but I wont give up.Thanks again for the info !!!!

Dude, we are trying to keep your perspective in check. You have better odds in winning the lottery than turning pro before the age of 30. :) Your friend's support is irrelevant. I am telling you the reality of bike racing as a amarteur racer. I am a cat 4 and been racing 3 years already including this season. When I started racing, I never thought about becoming a pro. I started racing because it is one step above recreational riding. The most I can look for is to become a cat 2 rider within the next 2 to 3 years. Yeah, you still don't get paid racing as a cat 2. No, you don't ride the Tour.

BlueJersey said:
Dude, we are trying to keep your perspective in check. You have better odds in winning the lottery than turning pro before the age of 30. :) Your friend's support is irrelevant. I am telling you the reality of bike racing as a amarteur racer. I am a cat 4 and been racing 3 years already including this season. When I started racing, I never thought about becoming a pro. I started racing because it is one step above recreational riding. The most I can look for is to become a cat 2 rider within the next 2 to 3 years. Yeah, you still don't get paid racing as a cat 2. No, you don't ride the Tour.
Glad you said this. Guys come on here, looking to get all pumped up, but that's not reality. Reality is that 99.9% of all racers are like you; working hard to become a Cat 2. Training and racing 8-10K miles a year or more is a serious commitment to the sport, but not unusual. That alone doesn't guaranty you're going to the top.

The cruel fact is that the pro cyclists have exceptional one-in-a-million genes and talent, and most have started riding and racing at an early age.

yayaya said:
The was a pro back in the late 80's early 90's. He raced for Coors light i believe. He didnt start racing until he was 28. I think his name was Mike Engleman!

Wasn't Engleman a national caliber runner before he took up cycling?