How to laugh with statistics

  • Thread starter Just zis Guy, you know?
  • Start date



J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
I was going to add the usual disclaimer re contents containing the
H-word, but I think this is uncontentious. It's a scholarly review of
the relative dangers of cycling vs. being treated by a member of the
BMA. The report contains a chart, helpfully animated to assist
non-specialists in understanding the relative scale of the two
problems.

http://bovlomov.liquidpurple.com/helmets.htm

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:59:53 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I was going to add the usual disclaimer re contents containing the H-word,
> but I think this is uncontentious. It's a scholarly review of the
> relative dangers of cycling vs. being treated by a member of the BMA. The
> report contains a chart, helpfully animated to assist non-specialists in
> understanding the relative scale of the two problems.
>
> http://bovlomov.liquidpurple.com/helmets.htm


Brilliant!



Mike
 
R

Richard

Guest
Mike Causer wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:59:53 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>
>>I was going to add the usual disclaimer re contents containing the H-word,
>>but I think this is uncontentious. It's a scholarly review of the
>>relative dangers of cycling vs. being treated by a member of the BMA. The
>>report contains a chart, helpfully animated to assist non-specialists in
>>understanding the relative scale of the two problems.
>>
>>http://bovlomov.liquidpurple.com/helmets.htm

>
>
> Brilliant!


Indeed. :)

R.
 
B

Blonde

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I was going to add the usual disclaimer re contents containing the
> H-word, but I think this is uncontentious. It's a scholarly review of
> the relative dangers of cycling vs. being treated by a member of the
> BMA. The report contains a chart, helpfully animated to assist
> non-specialists in understanding the relative scale of the two
> problems.
>
> http://bovlomov.liquidpurple.com/helmets.htm
>
> Guy
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
> simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken



Good one! ;- )

It made me smile cos it's exactly the kind of vox pop statistics that
the mandatory helmet pushers usually state, only in reverse. Love the
animated chart! I wish I could give my 'You
do-wear-a-helmet-don't-you?,' concerned-looking Mother the benefit of a
look at that, but I doubt she would see why it's funny.
 
N

Nick Kew

Guest
Blonde wrote:


> I wish I could give my 'You
> do-wear-a-helmet-don't-you?,' concerned-looking Mother the benefit of a
> look at that, but I doubt she would see why it's funny.
>

Hehe. Howbout the Scottish Parliament website, for an informed
look without a frivolous face?

My parents can get horribly uptight about some things I do,
but fortunately cycling in comfort isn't one of them:)
Setting off alone into the mountains with backpack is a
different story ....

--
not me guv
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I was going to add the usual disclaimer re contents containing the
> H-word, but I think this is uncontentious. It's a scholarly review of
> the relative dangers of cycling vs. being treated by a member of the
> BMA. The report contains a chart, helpfully animated to assist
> non-specialists in understanding the relative scale of the two
> problems.
>
> http://bovlomov.liquidpurple.com/helmets.htm


Most excellent! Many thanks for the link (and congratulations to
Bovlomov)

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
 
N

Nigel Cliffe

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> I feel most uncomfortable about the words' the bma would like....'
> Some politicans at the bma conference perhaps.


Though, if conferences have any value, it is now a BMA position.

Therefore those BMA members who think its wrong have work to do to reverse
that position. Particularly as politicians outside the BMA are jumping on
the vote as a mandate for change.

> You might mention those doctors groups that have taken a more
> respectable line.


Perhaps a satirical webpage needs to be bold and use a big-brush.


I thought the page was very funny and well to the point.



- Nigel (not a medic, or associated with the BMA )


--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
 
J

John_Kane

Guest
Nick Kew wrote:
> Blonde wrote:
>
>
> > I wish I could give my 'You
> > do-wear-a-helmet-don't-you?,' concerned-looking Mother the benefit of a
> > look at that, but I doubt she would see why it's funny.
> >

> Hehe. Howbout the Scottish Parliament website, for an informed
> look without a frivolous face?
>
> My parents can get horribly uptight about some things I do,
> but fortunately cycling in comfort isn't one of them:)
> Setting off alone into the mountains with backpack is a
> different story ....


And quite right they are too. Those bears and wolves can be deadly, not
to mention the cougars.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:14:11 -0800, John_Kane wrote:

> Those bears and wolves can be deadly, not to mention the cougars.


Dunno about bears or cougars, but the Wolves are no longer the force they
once were :-((

OTOH, maybe a few Canis Lupus around here would keep the damn Muntjac
under control.....




Mike
 
D

davek

Guest
Blonde wrote:
> I wish I could give my 'You
> do-wear-a-helmet-don't-you?,' concerned-looking Mother the benefit of a
> look at that, but I doubt she would see why it's funny.


My sister is a nurse. I've had several heated discussions with her about
whether or not I should wear a h. while cycling. I think I might forward
this link to her... :)

d.