How to lock a factory installed crossbar?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cricket Fan, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Cricket Fan

    Cricket Fan Guest

    My question is - If I buy a lockable ski roof rack from Thule or
    Yakima and mount it on my factory installed crossbar, I still have to
    lock the factory installed crossbar, don't I? It is simply attached
    to the rails by allen screws. How do I lock these? Is getting
    separate towers and crossbars the only alternative?

    I would appreciate any thoughts.
    -Recently initiated.

    Tags:

  2. Ignignokt

    Ignignokt Guest

    Cricket Fan wrote:
    > My question is - If I buy a lockable ski roof rack from Thule or
    > Yakima and mount it on my factory installed crossbar, I still have to
    > lock the factory installed crossbar, don't I? It is simply attached
    > to the rails by allen screws. How do I lock these? Is getting
    > separate towers and crossbars the only alternative?
    >
    > I would appreciate any thoughts.
    > -Recently initiated.

    I'm not aware of any way to lock the factory crossbars. Fortunately, I also
    live in an area where theft isn't a major concern. I've considered having
    some replacement bolts made up with keyed heads (similar to locking wheel
    lugs), but haven't gotten around to actually doing so yet. I have a friend
    who's an excellent machinist and who I'll recruit to make them for me. If
    you're not lucky enough to have such a friend, any machine shop should be
    able to make them for you. I'll probably have them made up before using the
    crossbars someplace far away from home, where theft might be a concern. (If
    you go this route, don't forget to have the shop make up a wrench or two to
    fit the keyed bolt heads!)

    HTH,

    - Greg Reed

    --