How to lose your Baba Ganouche

David Hare-Scott

Guest
We were given a big bag of eggplants (aubergine) from a friend, the only way
to use them up was to make baba ganouche. I have made this maybe 50 times,
after the first few times it has been pretty good stuff. Never any problems
before. You start with baking them whole in the oven and when they are soft
you peel off the skin and pulp the cooked flesh.

So into the oven goes 8 or so eggplants and I put on the time to remind me
to check them. I settled down to watch TV. After about half an hour ...

KABOOM

One of the little buggers had exploded, pulp everywhere. This has *never*
happened before, so why has it happened now, who knows? So now I will *****
each one before baking. After I clean the oven.

David

"David Hare-Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We were given a big bag of eggplants (aubergine) from a friend, the only
> way
> to use them up was to make baba ganouche. I have made this maybe 50
> times,
> after the first few times it has been pretty good stuff. Never any
> problems
> before. You start with baking them whole in the oven and when they are
> soft
> you peel off the skin and pulp the cooked flesh.
>
> So into the oven goes 8 or so eggplants and I put on the time to remind me
> to check them. I settled down to watch TV. After about half an hour ...
>
> KABOOM
>
> One of the little buggers had exploded, pulp everywhere. This has *never*
> happened before, so why has it happened now, who knows? So now I will
> *****
> each one before baking. After I clean the oven.

Geez, what a mess. Oddly, when I've seen people on tv making that,
they cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and bake them on a sheet, face
down. Never saw them baked whole. It's kinda funny, I can picture
eggplant eggplant everywhere, but then, I don't have to clean it up.

(smile) nancy

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>they cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and bake them on a sheet, face
>down.

They can be baked or broiled face up, coated with spices. Good too...