How to lubricate the freewheel?

ChrisW

New Member
Mar 17, 2003
If I put my bike in for a service, the freewheel ratchet is almost silent when I get it back. I've never worked out how to achieve this myself, as there is no obvious lubrication point for the freewheel. The only option seems to be to squirt oil between the sprockets, but this is more messy than effective.

Can anyone enlighten me? (The freewheels in question are on various Shimano sets.)

Chris

ChrisW wrote:
> If I put my bike in for a service, the freewheel ratchet is almost silent when I get it back. I've
> never worked out how to achieve this myself, as there is no obvious lubrication point for the
> freewheel. The only option seems to be to squirt oil between the sprockets, but this is more messy
> than effective.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me? (The freewheels in question are on various Shimano sets.)

For most hubs, you have to take them apart to get at the freewheel mechanism. For cassette hubs,
see: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetrain

Whoever does yours must be putting loads of grease in there - which is not a very sensible thing to
do, imo. I worry about my freewheels when they get quiet; can mean they're getting gunked up. A loud
freewheel is a healthy freewheel!

~PB

In a brief moment of lucidity ChrisW scribbled:

> If I put my bike in for a service, the freewheel ratchet is almost silent when I get it back. I've
> never worked out how to achieve this myself, as there is no obvious lubrication point for the
> freewheel. The only option seems to be to squirt oil between the sprockets, but this is more messy
> than effective.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me? (The freewheels in question are on various Shimano sets.)
>
> Chris

Personally, I reckon if you can hear the freewheel you know it's working corectly. If it's too quiet
to hear it's likely to be too full of grease, oil or cack and isn't (generally) working correctly.

Basically you have to strip the freewheel down to lubricate it properly, and there are a number of
different types, that can be dis-assembled / re-assembled differently.

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

In a brief moment of lucidity Pete Biggs scribbled:

> ChrisW wrote:
>> If I put my bike in for a service, the freewheel ratchet is almost silent when I get it back.
>> I've never worked out how to achieve this myself, as there is no obvious lubrication point for
>> the freewheel. The only option seems to be to squirt oil between the sprockets, but this is more
>> messy than effective.
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me? (The freewheels in question are on various Shimano sets.)
>
> For most hubs, you have to take them apart to get at the freewheel mechanism. For cassette hubs,
> see: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetrain
>
> Whoever does yours must be putting loads of grease in there - which is not a very sensible thing
> to do, imo. I worry about my freewheels when they get quiet; can mean they're getting gunked up. A
> loud freewheel is a healthy freewheel!
>
> ~PB

Sorry, Pete, didn't mean to almost make a verbatim copy of what you posted .. Your reply wasn't on
my server when I read the OP .. ;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

news:[email protected]...
> In a brief moment of lucidity ChrisW scribbled:
>
> > If I put my bike in for a service, the freewheel ratchet is almost silent when I get it back.
> > I've never worked out how to achieve this myself, as there is no obvious lubrication point for
> > the freewheel. The only option seems to be to squirt oil between the sprockets, but this is more
> > messy than effective.
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me? (The freewheels in question are on various Shimano sets.)
> >
> > Chris
>
> Personally, I reckon if you can hear the freewheel you know it's working corectly. If it's too
> quiet to hear it's likely to be too full of grease, oil or cack and isn't (generally) working
> correctly.
>
> Basically you have to strip the freewheel down to lubricate it properly, and there are a number of
> different types, that can be dis-assembled / re-assembled differently.
>
> --

> My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

When I first grease my freewheel it's quiet. Within a few miles the click-click is back again. As
Pete says...healthy!

Solution to stop the noise completely.....Don't stop pedalling ya slack *****! :)

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"