how to make a Shimano 105 Left shifter do double or triple?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace archive' started by Peter, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I am trying to replace a single Left shimano 105 shifter
    that is jammed with a used piece. My bike has as triple
    chain ring and I see that many Left 105 shifters are listed
    as "good to double or triple". Can the same shifter work
    with both setupos? Is there an adjustment one makes to the
    shifter to make it triple click rather than double click?

    how does one determine if a shifter is double or triple.

    many thanks

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. pstock-<< Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is
    there an adjustment one makes to the shifter to make it
    triple click rather than double click? >><BR><BR>

    For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small to
    big. You just don't use the last 'click' for a double
    crank...limited by the outside travel limit screw. If this
    sounds mysterious, see a LBS...

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > pstock-<< Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is
    > there an adjustment one makes to the shifter to make it
    > triple click rather than double click? >><BR><BR>
    >

    > For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small
    > to big. You just don't use the last 'click' for a double
    > crank...limited by the outside travel limit screw. If this
    > sounds mysterious, see a LBS...
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    > costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will need
    a triple specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp 105SC
    equipped bike to triple and the new STI unit is different
    than the old double.

    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  4. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    > This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will
    > need a triple specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp
    > 105SC equipped bike to triple and the new STI unit is
    > different than the old double.

    > =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service
    > in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19
    > Different Servers! =-----

    ......That's true of 8 speed shimano STI fronts which were
    made as either double or triple (105, RX-100, and RSX).
    However,the tiple WILL shift a double.There is no internal
    'adjustment' involved. One has to pay attention to what they
    are buying. 7 speed RSX would shift either double or triple.