how to make a Shimano 105 Left shifter do double or triple?

Peter

Guest
I am trying to replace a single Left shimano 105 shifter
that is jammed with a used piece. My bike has as triple
chain ring and I see that many Left 105 shifters are listed
as "good to double or triple". Can the same shifter work
with both setupos? Is there an adjustment one makes to the
shifter to make it triple click rather than double click?

how does one determine if a shifter is double or triple.

many thanks

Peter

pstock-<< Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is
there an adjustment one makes to the shifter to make it
triple click rather than double click? >><BR><BR>

For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small to
big. You just don't use the last 'click' for a double
crank...limited by the outside travel limit screw. If this
sounds mysterious, see a LBS...

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> pstock-<< Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is
> there an adjustment one makes to the shifter to make it
> triple click rather than double click? >><BR><BR>
>

> For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small
> to big. You just don't use the last 'click' for a double
> crank...limited by the outside travel limit screw. If this
> sounds mysterious, see a LBS...
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will need
a triple specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp 105SC
equipped bike to triple and the new STI unit is different
than the old double.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

> This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will
> need a triple specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp
> 105SC equipped bike to triple and the new STI unit is
> different than the old double.

> =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service
> in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19
> Different Servers! =-----

......That's true of 8 speed shimano STI fronts which were
made as either double or triple (105, RX-100, and RSX).
However,the tiple WILL shift a double.There is no internal
'adjustment' involved. One has to pay attention to what they
are buying. 7 speed RSX would shift either double or triple.