How to Make this Setup Work?

PilotJohn555

Nov 17, 2005
Hey All,

I have a 2003? Trek 4900 that I have done a lot of after market modifications on. I have replaced the two stock wheels with disc specific ones and also added to avid disc breaks. Among other things I have replaced the crowbar and seatpost / seat. I have added clipless pedals also. I am now looking to do some work with the shifters and I was wondering if someone can offer some advice. I currently have a Shimano Deore RDR and I would like to upgrade it to either a higher Shimano type or to possibly go the SRAM route. The rest of the bike is more or less stock and so I think the shifters are Rapid Fire Shimanos. I pride myself on doing my own maintance and upgrades so if someone can give me some tips and what products are compatable I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Are there any options on swapping the components on my trek bike onto a larger frame. I would like to go from my 15" to a 17.5 or 18". Are the components universal for such a swap?

John

Sram and and shimano are not cross compatible. Sram is the way to go. If you seithc to a new frame you may need a new bottom bracket and seatpost, if the sizes are not the same... everything else would be fine.

triguy98 said:
Sram and and shimano are not cross compatible. Sram is the way to go. If you seithc to a new frame you may need a new bottom bracket and seatpost, if the sizes are not the same... everything else would be fine.

Wrong :)

Actually, you can get a pair of SRAM Rocket Trigger Shifters - 9 speed, that will work with your Shimano derailleurs ...... prices vary from going retail at $110 ........ or getting something off Ebay.

Hope this helps ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Wrong :)

Actually, you can get a pair of SRAM Rocket Trigger Shifters - 9 speed, that will work with your Shimano derailleurs ...... prices vary from going retail at $110 ........ or getting something off Ebay.

Hope this helps ;)
Yeah, but Rocket shifters aint great. Its the 1:1 ratio with the Sram X series that makes SRAM rock so much. With the rocket shifters, you still gotta put up with shimaNOs crappy rear mechanics. Blech.

PilotJohn555 said:
Hey All,

I have a 2003? Trek 4900 that I have done a lot of after market modifications on. I have replaced the two stock wheels with disc specific ones and also added to avid disc breaks. Among other things I have replaced the crowbar and seatpost / seat. I have added clipless pedals also. I am now looking to do some work with the shifters and I was wondering if someone can offer some advice. I currently have a Shimano Deore RDR and I would like to upgrade it to either a higher Shimano type or to possibly go the SRAM route. The rest of the bike is more or less stock and so I think the shifters are Rapid Fire Shimanos. I pride myself on doing my own maintance and upgrades so if someone can give me some tips and what products are compatable I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Are there any options on swapping the components on my trek bike onto a larger frame. I would like to go from my 15" to a 17.5 or 18". Are the components universal for such a swap?

John
Components should be fine. RDR not critical, shifters more important. To go SRAM you need to change shifters and RDR. Rather than ***** about with a lot of these cosmetic changes maybe you would be better off to look at a new set of wheels. More bang for your buck.

motorhommer said:
Components should be fine. RDR not critical, shifters more important. To go SRAM you need to change shifters and RDR. Rather than ***** about with a lot of these cosmetic changes maybe you would be better off to look at a new set of wheels. More bang for your buck.
He has already upgraded the wheels acording to his post and now wants to improve his shifting. SRAM vs. Shimano is a personal preference. I personally like SRAM twist shifters because there are less moving parts in the shifter and can be maintined and repaired easier. A complete SRAM system (or complete Shimano system for that matter) works better than mixing compents such as the SRAM rocket shifters with Shimano derailuers. If you like the trigger shifters you have then you can upgrade to a LX, XT, or XTR R der. (though XTR is expensive and might be overkill). XT is a good alternative to XTR (good shifting and not as expensive). You can upgrade your shifters later or do it as a package. The choice is yours.

triguy98 said:
Yeah, but Rocket shifters aint great. Its the 1:1 ratio with the Sram X series that makes SRAM rock so much. With the rocket shifters, you still gotta put up with shimaNOs crappy rear mechanics. Blech.

Thanks for schooling me ;)

Personally, I'm not one for mixing components(not on Road) either , but actually on my MTB there is a small mix in there... but it should all flow well