how to measure aluminium nipples?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Taka, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Taka

    Taka Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    Recently I bought some aluminium DT Swiss 14g nipples.
    Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how long they are - in order to put
    the measurements into the spoke calculator.

    Can anyone tell me which parts to measure?
    Do I measure the square section (where I will place the wrench)?

    Thank you!
    Taka

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Taka wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > Recently I bought some aluminium DT Swiss 14g nipples.
    > Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how long they are - in order to put
    > the measurements into the spoke calculator.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me which parts to measure?
    > Do I measure the square section (where I will place the wrench)?

    Measure overall length, top to bottom, outside to outside.

    12mm is the norm.

    ~PB

  3. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    <Taka> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > Recently I bought some aluminium DT Swiss 14g nipples.
    > Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how long they are - in order to put
    > the measurements into the spoke calculator.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me which parts to measure?
    > Do I measure the square section (where I will place the wrench)?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Taka

    Twiddle them and see the reaction?

  4. "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Twiddle them and see the reaction?

    They'd get bigger... ;) Due to heat being transferred from the fingers and
    generated in the twiddling motion...

    Which gives rise to the question: Should you measure the nipples 'before' or
    'after' ?

    Rich

  5. LSMike wrote:
    > <Taka> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hello Everyone,
    >>
    >> Recently I bought some aluminium DT Swiss 14g nipples.
    >> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how long they are - in order to put
    >> the measurements into the spoke calculator.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me which parts to measure?
    >> Do I measure the square section (where I will place the wrench)?
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >> Taka

    > Twiddle them and see the reaction?

    On which subject, why, when buying wheel building supplies, am I *always*
    served by a woman?

    Am I unusually shy if I blush when asking for them?
    --
    Ambrose

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    <Taka> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > Recently I bought some aluminium DT Swiss 14g nipples.
    > Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how long they are - in order to put
    > the measurements into the spoke calculator.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me which parts to measure?
    > Do I measure the square section (where I will place the wrench)?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Taka

    There's definitely a Jordan & Peter Andre joke in here somewhere, I just
    know it...

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  7. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:08:49 +0100, wafflycat <> wrote:

    > There's definitely a Jordan & Peter Andre joke in here somewhere, I just
    > know it...

    I was thinking something more along the lines of robo-colyer.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I was thinking something more along the lines of robo-colyer.
    >
    > regards, Ian SMith

    Aye there's definitely something there on that theme ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  9. killermike

    killermike Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:01:36 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    >> Twiddle them and see the reaction?

    > On which subject, why, when buying wheel building supplies, am I *always*
    > served by a woman?
    >
    > Am I unusually shy if I blush when asking for them?

    Don't be so childish about it! Oh, and could you pick me up a g string for
    my guitar and gender changer for my null modem cable while you are out
    please? There is a piece of audio equipment called an aural exciter too.
    :)

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.