how to mount inline DAce optical display widget?

tonepad

Aug 15, 2004
Got a one of these to mount on my wife's bike...it's the little inline gear display that comes off the right hand STI lever to show which rear sprocket you're in. Can't find any instructions on the Shimano site or by Google searching. It's officially a Dura Ace part, but I don't have the literature on it. Anybody have a clue or the secret? It looks pretty simple...just run the cable through it or ??? Sometimes little widgets can be a pain.

I can't help with the documentation, but you need to realize that there are several different kits available that must be matched to the specific STI levers in use and to the rear cassette. The computer heads are all the same but the bracket/STI lever connection are different. For example, the kit for a Dura-Ace 9 gear cassette will not work on a 10 gear cassette, and vice versa.

Without model numbers and documentation, you are sort of shooting in the dark on this one. Hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

tonepad said:
Got a one of these to mount on my wife's bike...it's the little inline gear display that comes off the right hand STI lever to show which rear sprocket you're in. Can't find any instructions on the Shimano site or by Google searching. It's officially a Dura Ace part, but I don't have the literature on it. Anybody have a clue or the secret? It looks pretty simple...just run the cable through it or ??? Sometimes little widgets can be a pain.

Carefully mark the outer housing where you want the optical shift indicator.
Remove your shift cable.
Cut the outer housing and shorten it to compensate for the added lenght of the indicator.
Make sure the newly cut housing ends are smooth, round, and flat.
Install metal ends.
Slide the optical shift indicator on the shift cable and register it with the shift position.

I hope my description is helpful and covers the part you mean.
I am talking about R.H. Indicator Unit Y-6BD91400

Yeah, that's the part. Does the little bead stay in place on the cable when registering? Or should I make sure that I'm in the highest or lowest sprocket position? (To Gruppo: I think you are mistaking this with the Shimano Flight Deck. Otherwise it is registered for 9 speed which is that I have. It's just a dumb little device with 9 marks on it and a bead that follows the friction of the cable mvmt running through it...at least as far as I can tell. FTR there is a 10 speed version as well)

To "calibrate" it, just shift all the way one way, then all the way the other, and the little bead will get pushed into the right spot from there on in.