How to open the KMC missing link

mpm

Nov 19, 2003
I have just bought a new chain, a KMC Z92 (8 speed) that came with a missing link. According to the instructions, the missing link, can't be opened and reused.

I tried to use a SRAM PowerLink (silver) but the chain is a little wider than the Shimano IG-51 that I have replaced, so I can't use the PowerLink with the KMC chain.

Does anybody know how to open the KMC 8 speed missing link ? Does anybody reuse it ?

Thanking in advance.

Marcelo

This was the reply that I have received form KMC:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail regarding MissingLink II.

MissingLink II is designed to be a permanent link of the chain once it is installed. To remove the link, you will have to use the chain tool to push out the pins, just like you remove the other chain links.

After the pins are pushed out, the strength of mushroom riveting is reduced. Therefore, it is not recommended to reuse the link. You may replace it with a new MissingLink II. I hope this answers your question.

Please feel free to contact us, should you have further question.

Best regards,
Customer Service Department
Continental Chain Company, Inc.

<[email protected]>

BUT I still have the same questions:

Does anybody know how to open (without destroy it) the KMC 8 speed missing link ? Does anybody reuse it ?

Thanks again.

Marcelo

mpm said:
This was the reply that I have received form KMC:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding MissingLink II.

MissingLink II is designed to be a permanent link of the chain once it is installed. To remove the link, you will have to use the chain tool to push out the pins, just like you remove the other chain links.

After the pins are pushed out, the strength of mushroom riveting is reduced. Therefore, it is not recommended to reuse the link. You may replace it with a new MissingLink II. I hope this answers your question.

Please feel free to contact us, should you have further question.

Best regards,
Customer Service Department
Continental Chain Company, Inc.

<[email protected]>

BUT I still have the same questions:

Does anybody know how to open (without destroy it) the KMC 8 speed missing link ? Does anybody reuse it ?

Thanks again.

Marcelo

in future buy SRAM chains and use the powerlink. carry several spare powerlinks with you when you ride and a chainbreaker. then if you have an accident you just tidy up the mess with the tool and pop on a new powerlink.

Disclaimer:- Do not reuse a KMC missing link.

I am not suggesting you do this but, I have successfully opened & reused these links.
Pair of long nose pliers on the outside of the rollers of the link & sqeeze.

davebee said:
in future buy SRAM chains and use the powerlink. carry several spare powerlinks with you when you ride and a chainbreaker. then if you have an accident you just tidy up the mess with the tool and pop on a new powerlink.

Hello davebee, thanks by your suggestion. The Sram products are not available in Argentina (at this moment). I will use Sram chains as soon as I can buy it in my country.

Best regards.

Marcelo

Albert 50 said:
Disclaimer:- Do not reuse a KMC missing link.

I am not suggesting you do this but, I have successfully opened & reused these links.
Pair of long nose pliers on the outside of the rollers of the link & sqeeze.

Hello Albert, thanks for your reply. If I reuse the KMC missing link, I will do it at my own risk.

Shimano say that you must replace the pin when you open your chain, and "many" people reuse the pin without problems; I suppost that with the missing link happens the same.

Thanks again & best regards.

Marcelo